Getting a cutting edge

First of all, sorry for starting another transfer thread but I feel this is slightly different We have seen us linked with strengthening virtually every position, with numerous different players mentioned. I'm sure we will tweak the side in all areas as we prepare for our championship season. The one area though that needs more than tweaking, is up front. If survival is our aim, then that may well be enough. If however, we want to challenge for a place in the Premiership, we will need to find a clinical striker.

This will probably require major investment. Strikers whose goal ratio give you the best chances of success, I'll add, there are no guarantees, are few and far between and tend to cost big money. For me, if we can secure last seasons loanees, add a few freebies, then I'd be quite happy if the remaining budget was spent on a top quality striker. We need that cutting edge

My guess is we'll use the loan market for strikers - a young Premiership striker on the fringes of their respective first team. For the parent club and player it would be a chance to play week-in, week-out in front of Premiership style crowds, for us we get a goalscorer at a fraction of the cost.

For me, if we can secure last seasons loanees, add a few freebies, then I'd be quite happy if the remaining budget was spent on a top quality striker. We need that cutting edge

I'm not sure how big you think our budget is going to be? I'm only expecting £2-3 million so once you've signed the loans and taken on the freebies' wages you're there with no squillions left to sign a clinical forward. Think people need to lower expectations a touch.

I'm not sure how big you think our budget is going to be? I'm only expecting £2-3 million so once you've signed the loans and taken on the freebies' wages you're there with no squillions left to sign a clinical forward. Think people need to lower expectations a touch.

You reckon 2-3 mil with wages and loan fees included, bet we spent that last season

First of all, sorry for starting another transfer thread but I feel this is slightly different We have seen us linked with strengthening virtually every position, with numerous different players mentioned. I'm sure we will tweak the side in all areas as we prepare for our championship season. The one area though that needs more than tweaking, is up front. If survival is our aim, then that may well be enough. If however, we want to challenge for a place in the Premiership, we will need to find a clinical striker.

This will probably require major investment. Strikers whose goal ratio give you the best chances of success, I'll add, there are no guarantees, are few and far between and tend to cost big money. For me, if we can secure last seasons loanees, add a few freebies, then I'd be quite happy if the remaining budget was spent on a top quality striker. We need that cutting edge

Agree 100% - the best quiality striker we can afford is the way to go once we have Antonio etc.

Jeffeeeeeeeers???????

Guest Lawrie Maddens Hump

To be honest, you might be right, but I really can't see us challenging again without a decent striker Would imagine we'd have to pay anything between 2 and 3 million to get one.

Unless DJ can uncover a diamond. Look at Rhodes at Huddersfield, Clarke got him form Ipswich at a steal.

He did, and a lot of people thought he was a good player and thats exactly what he turned out to be. If we can unearth a player like that, then great, but if we are looking for the ready made option, then it will cost

I think we shoud sign Stuart Beavon. Could turn out to be another Rickie Lambert, you never know.

Simon Cox is another one, i think he would benefit from the step down. Reckon he could get around 15-20 goals in our team.

Jay Bothroyd would be great aswell, scored 20 in the league season before this one for Cardiff. I can't imagine he'll be in QPR's plans next season and the Dave Jones connection could help persuade him to drop back down to the Championship.

A few other names i'd take a look at, but will cost a bit:

Charlie Austin

Ross McCormack

Matty Fryatt

Sod going for the likes of Ricardo Fuller, wages would be too high and he was never that prolific, even in his prime.