Hello, I need help

That was the game, thanks. I thought Turner was Manager.

Yes, Turner was their Manager. It is all becoming clearer now. I knew there was some sort of Turner connection to my boys first game. I remember the game to be dull. Thanks for all the help, keep it up. Will save all your links to my favourites.

My boy was five at this game. He got his first season ticket the season after and has been going ever since.

Edited by Vegan Owl

I have decided to write a book about my life as a Wednesday fan and the upbringing of my 12 year old boy as a Wednesday fan.

I will keep this thread to keep opening for any help off you knowledgeable lot. If you have any memories from any year, 1975 onwards then please post. If it jogs my memory & relates to my following of Wednesday then it will be very helpful.

in advance.

AD

Seriously - what kind of memories? I've got loads of memories about Wednesday matches and match-day travel from '75 onwards - but you would probably think it was just poo . I can't describe beautiful football (or terrible football) in purple prose because (a) I haven't got the talent and (b) all these years of watching football have taught me nothing about the game except that I need Wednesday to win. But I can tell (remind) you about what it was like to be a Wednesdayite then and recount a few tasty tales of less-than-cool scraps and rucks and hilarious larks and (possibly) long-forgotten football chants and songs and the like. Is it possible to say what you're most interested in?

23/04/2005

0 - 0

The Owls moved back into the play-off spots despite being held by Stockport at Hillsborough.

Defeats for all of their play-off rivals saw Wednesday rise to fifth in the League One standings after finding chances hard to come by as the Hatters defended well.

Wednesday had the first opportunity but James Quinn was unable to turn enough to fire his shot towards the target after juggling Graham Barrett's pass through the County rearguard. The Northern Ireland international was also denied at the far post by Michael Raynes' saving header from Matt Hamshaw's dangerous right-wing centre and headed behind at the back post from Paul Heckingbottom's left-side delivery.

Patrick Collins had a shot deflected into the sidenetting after a strong run but Lee Bullen headed over after Quinn had clipped into the box from the resulting corner. Quinn also tested James Spencer from long distance while Paul Gallacher dived low to clutch Adam Le Fondre's header from a Danny Jackman cross just before the break.

Hamshaw had a curving shot saved by Spencer from a Quinn lay-off ten minutes into the second period, while Heckingbottom shot wide with a tame free-kick. The Owls fans were given a lift as news filtered through that all their play-off rivals were losing at the hour mark and both Quinn and then Hamshaw had efforts blocked by Goodwin from Craig Rocastle's pull back.

Collins had to be sharp to nick the ball off Le Fondre's toe before supplying a cross for substitute Drew Talbot to head into Spencer's arms. Lee Peacock and Chris Brunt also came off the bench with 20 minutes to go and Wednesday were inches away when Spencer flipped over Talbot's overhead kick from Collins' burst into the box.

The Barnsley lad was also denied by the keeper's legs from Jon-Paul McGovern's feed and Brunt rifled a powerful effort a yard over the top. Spencer also thwarted Peacock as the forward bore down on goal with Talbot in support and comfortably fielded a hooked Talbot shot with seven minutes to go.

Wednesday spent much of the dying embers of the game camped in the Stockport half but failed to get the break they craved, as the match ended in stalemate.

Wednesday: Gallacher; Collins, Bullen, Wood, Heckingbottom; Hamshaw (Brunt 70), Adams, Rocastle, McGovern; Quinn (Peacock 70), Barrett (Talbot 61).

Subs: Adamson, Peacock, Brunt, Bruce, Talbot.

Stockport: Spencer; Goodwin, Raynes, A Williams, Jackman; Hurst, Briggs, Allen, Horwood (Singh 71, C Williams 81)); Barlow, Le Fondre (Hardiker 90+2).

Subs: Cutler, Hardiker, Singh, Tomlinson, C Williams.

Our promotion team this year is SO much stronger than back then.

Seriously - what kind of memories? I've got loads of memories about Wednesday matches and match-day travel from '75 onwards - but you would probably think it was just poo . I can't describe beautiful football (or terrible football) in purple prose because (a) I haven't got the talent and (b) all these years of watching football have taught me nothing about the game except that I need Wednesday to win. But I can tell (remind) you about what it was like to be a Wednesdayite then and recount a few tasty tales of less-than-cool scraps and rucks and hilarious larks and (possibly) long-forgotten football chants and songs and the like. Is it possible to say what you're most interested in?

Anything really, not too interested in the rucks (although there will be a section about the first time I saw football violence, in a League Cup game at Hillsborough against Everton in 1977, aged 10).

I'm interested in any tales related to the games, especially in the 70's as my memory is struggling to go back that far. I am really interested in the Southend survival game, as this was the second game I had been to. The first game I went to was a 3-1 win v Aldershot at home earlier that season. The book will be about two Wednesday fans that I hope will appeal to all football fans, not just Owls.

Thank you. I have saved soccerbase to my favourites, but think it only shows the lates results. Someone once posted a sight that showed every seasons results.

Thanks, that may help me with my first question.

How far does it go back?

Can I suggest you employ a proof reader before you publish it :biggrin:

A Quarter of Wednesday, or either of the Keith Farnsworth books would be good for the earlier background.

Sorry its a bit vague, at work so don't have the full details.

Thanks for that, not read A Quarter... Will give it a go.

That's my favourite book on the club. It's about time he wrote a sequel if you ask me.

Until this one comes out of course ;-)

Can I suggest you employ a proof reader before you publish it :biggrin:

Of course :-)

I have a very good friend who is an Editor at a top magazine. He suggested I did this having read a short I had written. He will point me in the right direction.

This project is over the next four years. I am hoping we are in the Premier by the time it is completed.

I went to all home games and loads of away games that season, but can't for the life of me remember who "Gallacher or Barrett" were. Can anyone fill me in?

:st2:

Both loan players, Barrett was from Sunderland I think. Can't remember where the keeper was from, Blackburn?

Herbie beat G-man by one home game! He "made his debut" against Tranmere on 2nd April 2005. We lost 2-1, Zigor Aranalde got sent off, Herbs stood on his seat chanting "who are ya?" at the Tranny fans and fell asleep for the second half. I've still got his match ticket at home - cost £15 for a 3 year old!

If you need any help with memeories, you know where I am Dave.

Herbie beat G-man by one home game! He "made his debut" against Tranmere on 2nd April 2005. We lost 2-1, Zigor Aranalde got sent off, Herbs stood on his seat chanting "who are ya?" at the Tranny fans and fell asleep for the second half. I've still got his match ticket at home - cost £15 for a 3 year old!

If you need any help with memeories, you know where I am Dave.

Graham Barrett came on loan from Cov I think

You are the kind of person I will be looking to. You are correct about Barrett. Murphy was the striker I was thinking of, I think?

I'm just writing about my third ever game. It was a League Cup game against Everton in 1977. There was a crowd of over 36,000 and my only memories of that night was that there was lot's of trouble outside the ground and we lost 3-1. I remember that Everton brought a lot to the game, but does anyone remember what kind of figure?