I want to hear what new members/those who dont' post think...

MM should have given GM to the end of the season. I think the thing I liked about Gary most was that he held all of us in such high regard. Players have come to this club because he found it easy to sell it to them. Will a Dave Jones be able to entice the likes of Semedo to Hillsborough? I doubt it.

Thanks for the season so far Gary. Good luck. i'm sure you'll be back!!

Even if we had gone up, we'd get murdered playing as we were under Megson at a higher level - maybe less so away, but that Blackpool game and the last five minutes of god-knows-how-many games this year show what happens when teams actually go at us. Much though the long-standing Wednesday defender trait of back-pedalling to the point of balance-loss is something I love seeing, this team would get absolutely battered if it went up and I might get sick of it.

Another avid reader, but non poster here...

I think it's a stupid decision and made at a completely the wrong time. Until Megson came it had been a long long time since i've seen wednesday players work so hard and be so passionate about the club they play for.

But...

Whilst i like a manager with some balls, i've never thought the ranting and raving manager types get in the long term the most out of players. It will make players work hard for a short while, but after that i think they become disengaged, Madine for example. There's only so much shouting you can do and after a while i think it wears off. It takes a certain style of management to get the most out of players both long and short term.

Megson got them working again, i'm gutted he's gone at this stage of the season, i think it's playing roulette with our promotion hopes, but long term, in the championship and above, i'd rather have a different style of manager...

Not posted on here or a few years now but every now and again something this momentous happens that you just have to speak up about.

When Megson was announced as our new manager a year ago I was far from convinced he was the right man. Good player for us, Wednesady fan and all, but reputation as none too well liked by the many of the fans of his previous clubs.

What he did though is to instill pride in being a Wednesday fan. He celebrated being a Wednesday fan and tried to instill that into his players which gave us the feeling that for the first time in years our club was truely ours again. From where we were in the last few years to where we are now is a MASSIVE, MASSIVE step. Whether he was the man to take us back to the promised land or not I am unsure about.The football in the last few months was not good enough.

Then along came derby day, and although the football was nothing to behold, the passion, the pride and sheer joy of being an Owl was almost all consuming. Its always brilliant to beat the pigs, but this one seemed different. What an atmosphere, 32,000 in the stands, a team and backroom staff loving being part of the Wednesday family and one man stood on the sideline, clapping and singing to "Hi Ho Sheffield Wednesday", and bouncing to the "If ya don't f**kin bounce then youre a blade". Pounding on his chest at the Blades fans to show this is Our City and the last man off the pitch hugging each player in turn and loving the crowd reaction "GARY MEGSONS BARMY ARMY", and we were. Driving down the M1 was the best ever, there were cars hooting and flashing, the fans inside waving, nodding, punching the air in joyus victory, I was sad to come off at J25.

That day could have carried us through the rest of the season. I thought that was our springboard, the end of season push, the reach for the finishing line to get promotion.

Then I got the text last night and someone pulled the plug. I thought Milan understood us. He clearly doesn't. I am gutted, but even more so for Megson. Maybe if there was some obvious candidate out there who could offer more than Megson I may be able to make more sense of it. To say I am completely underwhelmed by every single candidate that has been put forward is a MASSIVE understatement, I don't want any of them. Having said that though, I am not going to stop going in protest. Who will that benefit, not Megson, not me not the team.

We will just have to put it in the "we are Wednesday, poo happens (a lot) box" and move on. We can still go up, probably only via the play offs, but how good was that last time. Let us mourn our loss this week, back whoever turns up and support Our Club back to the Championship.

UTO

Guest Cheltenham Owl

I rarely post, but regularly read, but as you asked! As I've said elsewhere, I was at primary school with Gary, he was a very talented footballer at an early age. I remember his father, Wednesday legend and captain Don signing autographs in the school yard probably around 1966 and the Cup Final. Gary was and is Wednesday through and through, there is absolutely no denying that. I think his playing career was probably better then his managerial career, though West Brom might be the exception. I was possibly luke warm to his appointment I must say, but he has won me over with his honesty and often quite profound insights.

He's definitely gelled with the supporters better then any manager in recent years, maybe since BFR was in charge and that has helped him enormously, but not as far as MM is concerned. I'm not usually a fan of ex-players managing clubs they've played for, it almost always ends in failure. Think Wilson, Turner (OMG!) and Eustace. But in Gary's case, I genuinely think he was the guy to take us back to the promised land and follow in the steps of legendary managers like Big Jack or Wilko.

It's a shame he won't be given the chance. But........ no one is bigger than the club, player or manager, so we have to move on. If it's Dave Jones, he'll get my full support, I think he's a quality manager, albeit very unlucky with Cardiff. I think he'll do a good job, but whether he'll be able to get us up this season is another matter.

I'd like to appeal to all those reading the site who don't normally post or who have never posted to reply to this topic and to give us your opinion on the Megson sacking and the potential appointment of a new manager...

Whilst Owlstalk is mad/fun/crazy/interesting it's always good to hear views of those who have never posted on here, or who usually read but never post

Everyone has opinions - press 'reply' below and let us hear yours...

Who's Megson?

MM has simply hit the panic button. Not getting promotion would cost him a shedload and he's gambling on a new manager sparking a winning run. The falling out will probably have come as a consequence of the recent poor run of form and falling behind a bit in the hunt for automatic. I feel bad for Meggo because promotion was still on the cards and as others have said the derby win could have given the team the lift that's needed.

I was hoping Manderic had lined up a bit of a surprise choice, someone to get us excited and pull the crowds in for the next few games (Imagine the gates we would get if someone like Nillson or Di Canio got the job) but it looks like being Jones and although a little underwhelming, I'll still back him and we should all make him feel welcome.

Anyway, thanks for listening.

Guest The Blue & White Pope

I don't post often, and I am sure many will say don't bother either after this, however my thoughts are as follows.

I was out on the lash yesterday and only heard the news this morning and I wasn't shocked or upset by it, in all honesty I am just not that bothered by the sacking of GM. Let me explain, I had given up hope on automatic promotion and was having serious doubts about the form that we would take into the play offs, and also if we could secure 3rd place, and get ourselves that 'easier' play off against the 6th place team. I am grateful for the job GM did in helping to stabilise the club ant get us back to wining ways, however all I care about is promotion and I dont care who delivers it as long as someone does, and for me I was starting to wonder if GM as the correct person for that task.

I also am not one who buys into the whole 'he was one of us' debate we have tried that before with Wilson (only a player not a fan) and Turner and now Megson, and it never ends well, I can't think of many examples of having a fan in charge which has led to the fairy tale ending, the best I can think of was Colin at the sty, but even that ended in tears (it always does).

As long as we get out of this division (up not down) then I am not bothered who does it as long as someone does. MM has spent his money and is entitled to do what he thinks is best to get him the return that he is after, he wants to make some cash by taking us up and selling us, I am fine by that as I want us to go up too, I am not certain that Dave Jones will be the man to do it or not, but he has my full support to convince me over the next 3 months.

Finally I don't think it matters who was in charge for me automatic has gone and it is now all about getting us in the best possible shape to win three cup ties in May.

Edited by The Blue & White Pope

Guest Daniel7893

As you can tell this is my first post! Sometimes you have to pipe up and have your say.

I am very shocked to hear Megson has been sacked! it seems like a very poor decision considering the timing of it and simply because of how far we have progressed under Gary. It seems clear that something has gone on behind the scenes and I do not buy the 'I have done it for the good of the club' explanation. Personal clashes and worries about Milan's investment seem to be quite obvious explanations.

The main reason why I am angry is that I feel a Wednesday legend has been stabbed in the back, because of the way in which Milan went about the sacking. It makes it worse that it was done to one of our own!

I was at the derby on Sunday and can safely say that it was the best match I have ever been to in terms of support. I could not speak or hear properly by the time I had got home. My most fond memory was the constant chanting of 'Gary Megson's barmy army' after the final whistle. I can never remember any manager that has been more liked by its club. I also feel that we would have not gained promotion this year, and I was okay with that as it takes a long time to turn a club around.

However, shouting abuse at Milan or not throwing our weight behind the new manager will do the club no good. Make no mistake, Gary will return and the club will probably welcome him with open arms. It will not happen under Milan though. Besides, he seems desperate to regain the clubs worth through promotion then sell on. Many think Milan 'saved' the club but it is important to remember that he was not the only one after us and that what he has done since is far more important.

Although Gary's exit hurts and angers us all, no man is bigger than the club however loved he is and we will back whoever takes over. That is what Wednesdayites have always done. I hope Gary will return one day but we have to be realistic and deal with what we have at the present.

Thank you Gary. The King is dead, long live the King.

I also read Owlstalk each day and have never posted before. However, the recent actions of MM and subsequent axing of GM has disgusted me. What timing! MM has taken the wind out of my sails and no doubt, many others. Having deservedly beaten the other lot on Sunday we should have been on a high for weeks. Not anymore. What does he seriously expect Dave Jones to do with 13 games left that GM wouldn't?

With no prospect of new transfers and with a demoralised squad loyal to GM I expect that we will now see a further downturn in results. In one pull of the trigger MM has single handedly guaranteed that the momentum which would most likely have come from Sunday's result, has been squandered.

Trust Milan? From now on, not me!

Long time reader, first time poster.

Just over a year ago the club was on the edge of the precipice. No matter which way Wednesday turned the burden of huge debt seemed destined to drag the club down and down. Mr Mandaric was responsible for the deal which effectively saved the club. As such he has sufficient credit with me to outweigh the grave misgivings over the treatment of Mr Megson.

Guest Bloody Disgrace

I'll keep this short as a lot of people have said everything that needs saying. To sum it all up:

Megson got the grand total of **** all to spend.

We're 3rd in the league.

We've just beaten the pigs.

Team spirit is the best it's been for years.

Megson is a die hard wednesdayite, and we loved it.

The majority of us have a smile on our faces when we talk about the mighty owls now (it's been a while....).

What the **** happened Milan?