I want to hear what new members/those who dont' post think...

I thought i should put my pennies worth in also - dont comment on here that much. As a youngster i went to most games as i could (didnt get much pocket money in them days!!) but since then i have two sons (aged 4 & 6) apart from the west ham game we hav'nt missed a home game for 2 seasons!!, its very sad gary's gone but we will still be going to the games because we are all wednesday fans in our house no matter who the next manager is or the one after!!

Gutted this morning when I first read of this. Must admit, after all the rumours and the three defeats I half expected/feared this. I was praying that it wouldn't happen, after all these years of failure on the manager merrygoround what we needed was stability. Gary had started a difficult job and was making a good go of it. Unfortunately, our chairman sees things differently and wants to bring somebody else in to guarantee him promotion this season???? I felt as though Gary was on the right road and if it didn't happen this time then next season - after all megson was "building" a squad the hard way and not buying a new squad as per Charlton. I´m actually pretty sure that this has little to do with results and more to do with a disagreement or a row between Megson and Manderic or Aldridge. Gary probably spoke hs mind and told them exactly what he thought of them!!!

Good on yer Gary!!!

I'm not really bothered about who the new manager is as I don't think we'll get promotion this season now-although I hope I'm wrong.

I was inspired to post for the first time yesterday on another thread. I stopped going to Hillsborough regularly when we dropped out of the premier league. I'm the typical glory hunter you might say and I pretty much deserved not to get a ticket for Sunday's derby game.

Over the last few days I've been looking at all the photos, videos and banter after the game. For the first time since the era of Ron Atkinson and Tricky Trev I got the sense that there was a really good feeling about this great club. You can see it in some of the pictures from derby day. Things were finally starting to look good again and the Owls were going to fight the blunts every step of the way for that second spot.

I believed that both Mandaric and Megson were equally responsible for this feel good factor. Mandaric for finally getting the club out of the financial doldrums and Megson for being a true fan that almost got people like me returning regularly to Hillsborough again. Time will tell but I doubt very much that this will happen now, which is sad. I doubt that I feel it like those supporters that visit Hillsborough week in week out but I am still a Wednesdayite and I still feel it.

I sincerely hope that Mandaric knows what he's doing but the decision he has made seems to make no sense from either a football or business perspective, if, as many have said, his main aim is to make a fast buck by selling the club at a profit which in itself is dependent on promotion.

Guest away day owl

Knee jerk reaction i think.milan should have waited until the season is over this could wreck the campaign totally hope i'm proved wrong.uto

With all signs pointing at an argument between Megsons and MM/PA and with Uchechi and Kasnik having spells at the club without Megson's input I feel that maybe the signing of M.Jones was forced upon Megson and this lead to the argument, with Jones playing very little football could this be the case?

ok first post

gary should have been given to the end of the season at least considering the progress we have made and our current league position.

MM has made a strange decision, there must have been some fall out behind the scenes, let's see what gary says when the dust has settled.

what happens now if we lose the next 2 or 3 games ? MM will lose enthusiasm. even walk away? Could have terrible consequences, but the decision has been made so I must for now hope for the best and support the new manager.

gm will be a hard act to follow. I wish him all the best.

Found out last night after going to watch a non league game with the Father in law. In a way I wasn't surprised Megson had been sacked but I am shocked at the timing. Surely if MM planned to do this a while ago it would have made more sense before the derby or after our next defeat? The shock of doing it now has really taken the gloss off what was a brilliant day on Sunday and a new air of positivity had started to come around us again.

The bigger question for me is what does MM think GM was doing so badly that we can now do significantly better without him for the last few games?

Would love to hear MM answer the question in the media however I feel we're probably going to get a load of silence on the matter and the only statements being on how he will support the new manager financially to help achieve our goal....

Barking mad decision, but we had lost momentum until Sunday and the arrival of a proper winger. If we'd had a decent wide man (not JJ, that's for sure) then I can't believe we'd have come unstuck against such poor teams in the last few weeks. I don't sign up to this 'Megson was one of us' rubbish. What's that got to do with anything? But Sunday could have been a watershed and brought back the belief. Rochdale would have told us if the team had turned the corner or not. Now we'll never know if Megson had it in him to do that. The performances in 2012 have been grim by and large, coinciding with the loss of a quality winger. It wasn't all about Ben Marshall, but I'm sure it was about a decent winger giving something to the team. JJ scores great goals from time to time but his overall contribution is next to useless IMO. So, we are where we are, Megson wasn't given the support that was obviously needed during the window and he's paid the price for that. Now we'll just have to see.

Guest Big Guns

With all signs pointing at an argument between Megsons and MM/PA and with Uchechi and Kasnik having spells at the club without Megson's input I feel that maybe the signing of M.Jones was forced upon Megson and this lead to the argument, with Jones playing very little football could this be the case?

I agree with this.

Very disappointed for GM and his family. He scored the winner at my first ever game at Hillsborough so he will always have a special place in my heart. He's one of us and his passion will be missed. The quality of the football has been hit and miss this season, more miss than hit if we're honest, but the team have shown spirit and character for the first time since the days of Sturrock. Some others on here seem shocked by the decision - given MM's record and the obvious tensions between manager and board that have been bubbling away for months now I think it was inevitably going to happen at some point. That doesn't make it right though. I think if GM had been backed better in January we could be top 2 now. I will get behind Jones but I think it will be interesting to see how the crowd and players react to such a big and controversial change at this key point in the season. I think the decision makes it clear MM wants promotion asap so he can sell up at a profit and get out.

What a thoroughly exciting and bizarre season this has been.

I read every day but rarely post. I am absolutely gutted by this decision, for the reasons that we all know, i.e. that Megson truly understood what the club meant to the fans and tried his hardest to get the players to sign up to that philosophy. It was great to watch the team play and (usually) if they went a goal down at least know they wouldn't collapse like last year (Stevenage away excepted). Yes there were a couple of bad results but that's a season for you. We were still third and had a strong chance of going up in the play offs.

I don't buy all the Mllan saved our club therefore we must trust his judgement stuff on this site. The fact is if he hadn't bought it the club would have gone into administration and somebody else would have bought the club from the administrators. Being the club's owner carries responsibilities. You are, as it has been said, the caretaker. Yesterday's action was not the right thing to do, in my opinion.

I actually feel like demonstrating against Milan and organising a campaign to get Megson reinstated. But the sad thing is that turning on Milan, who bankrolls the club, or on the next manager, won't help us get the club back in the Premier League. So as per usual we will have to lump it. But I don't have to like it, I don't like it and I won't forget.

And this isn't an hysterical reaction - I feel sickened by what's happened. The thing that most annoys me is that our best two managers since Big Ron didn't walk out on us - we sacked them. I feel like taking a break from all things SWFC for a while. Obviously I won't, but that's what I feel like.

Interesting to hear everyone's reactions.. My first post here:

I'm disappointed to see Megson go. It wasn't just the timing of it (though that could hardly have been worse), but I thought the rare sense of consistency that he had achieved in spells deserved at least the chance to see out the season.

I had my reservations about his direct style - there were times when I felt we relied too much on chance and not enough on craft. Yet all managers' systems have their drawbacks, and Megson had managed to put together a side which seemed to serve his purpose fairly well.

I always thought the derby result would be pivotal because our next run of fixtures are winnable. Leaving the ground on Sunday I was optimistic about pushing for second.

Now there's a huge amount of pressure on whoever comes in. It could work - the players could lift their game a notch or two perhaps - as conventional wisdom says players do under a new manager. In the long run, I'd expect someone of Dave Jones' experience to get us out of this division eventually, if he's given money. But with so few games left in the season, I think we'll have to settle for the playoffs. No doubt there will be changes in formation & style, and unless Utd's season goes off the rails in some style, I doubt we'll catch them.

MM and Jones could achieve some success in the years to come - or they could both be gone in 6 months. Of course, only time will tell. Right now I'm disappointed that we've lost someone with a strong tie to the club, who might've lasted longer than anyone else in recent memory.

I can't help but feel Wednesday will be just another club on Jones' CV. I think the first thing for someone at the club to do is convey to him the significance of beating utd to 2nd place/the feeling if we lose out to them. That should be the spur for the last 13 games. Sunday showed how much it means to come out on top.

Haven't posted much before, it has been refreshing this season to look at a league table and see Wednesday in the top half(top 4 for a long while) all season for a change. Megson has done a great job, when you look at where we were when he took us over. There was still a great chance of promotion albeit possibly via the play offs under Megson, let's hope that will still be the case, a new manager would have to gel things together from day 1.

Guest Mr Ambrose Langley

Rarely do I post - like to leave the reactions / banter / abuse to others. But this! Farcical, Mkaes no sense - must be personal.

in one way, it leaves intact a purity between fans and Manager that is as rare as rocking horse sh*t in football. Sackings usually happen when poor form leads to falling league position with fans taking out their frustration on the Manager and/or Chairman. There have been grumblings about our recent form but nothing to justify Megson getting the push. As he has done and in such circumstances coming on the back of Sunday puts Megson in to almost Sainthood. That feeling will only get stronger as time goes by, especially if we suffer in the future, so much so, why rule out Megson2 - the return 'here to finish the job he started'

Guest BlueNwhiteInMyBlood

I heard it last night and Have to say my heart sank. Megson made the fans feel proud to be Wednesday after years of slow disillusionment, and for that he deserves immense credit. This season we beat the pigs at home and drew away, only Brian Laws has done better in recent years. In the match on Sunday you could see his passion for the club projected through the efforts of the players, and I think that passion and enthusiasm will be sorely missed around the place.

If the replacement is Dave Jones, and it is looking increasingly likely that it will be, then he has some big boots to fill. I think any manager following Megson will struggle to replicate the afinity Megson shared with the fans and community. I am confident, however, that whoever it is, evey Owls fan will get behind the new manager and continue to support the team in a way other clubs (including them up the road) could only dream of.

Unified we stand, disunified we fall... WTID UTO FTB.

Edited by BlueNwhiteInMyBlood

Well it's now 24 hours since I stared with disbelief at the bottom of the screen on Sky Sports news! I was utterly shocked and stunned. With the victory last Sunday I was optimistic that we would start on another good run of results and whilst it's a big ask to overhaul our neighbours I was confident that we would be in the play offs. Then it would have been a matter of timing the momentum right to win the semi and the final.

I can't believe that with 13 games to go (12 by the time a new manager actually takes over), there is time to assess the squad and get over any new ideas / tactics etc. With regard to gary megson, he will always remain a legend both as a player and a manager. In my view he should have been given until at least the end of next season (2012-13). With some support in the transfer market in the summer I would be confident that if we didn't go up this season, we would have done so next.

I wish Gary all the best for his future and I hope he is soon in employment with another club and improving their performance, team spirit and ultimately results. I would welcome him back some time in the future - as he said in his interview "to finish the job I started" Thanks for everything Gary - keep your chin up mate - you will always be welcome at S6.

Not sure whether Dave Jones will be able to complete the job, but he seems to have spent plenty at Cardiff and still didn't get them to the Premier League. Only time will tell.

Guest milky2011

very very very disappointing decision from Mandaric, even more so the imminent appointment of DJ, not liking this at all.

I have to admit Gary "the only one who hit the crossbar on Soccer AM" Megson infuriated me at times with his negative tactics but my initial reaction to the news of him being sacked was a bout of choice words about Milan that i'm glad my daughter couldn't hear me say.

I cannot for the life of me see any other manager (by now probably Dave Jones) coming in and doing any better in his place with the same squad.

Haven't been as excited about games and as expectant of wins for as long as i can remember. For this, Gary "can you see my invisible pipe" will be remembered.

Sorry to see him go and apprehensive about the weekends game now (normal service resumed in that respect i suppose).