I want to hear what new members/those who dont' post think...

I think it is a ridiculous decision. We are third in the table just coming off the back of a morale boosting win and now we sack the manager. All of the top clubs have consistency in the management and we haven't had that for a long time. Megson is Wednesday through and through yet Milan has treated him like this. I can only think that there is something behind the scenes between the two of them that has led to this. Very disappointing.

To quote the cliché “long time reader, first time poster”. I am saddened but not shocked by GM sacking. I truly felt the team was heading in the right direction, you can’t realistically expect a 100% win ratio with a (let’s face it, poor) team you have inherited and strengthened pretty much with loans and good will!

Having said that MM has asked for his trust and honestly, I feel (as it stands) he has earned it. We don’t know what has gone on behind closed doors or the “real” reason for it so for now I just say – Up the Owls and wait to see what the rest of the season brings.

Guest PenangOwl

I can't help comparing this action with the Alan Irvine situation when MM took over the club. MM tolerated some really bad results under Irvine but pledged his support until he said "enough is enough". When Irvine first came in as manager, he blamed his lack of success because he inherited a team not of his picking because Brian Laws made some crap signings. Megson inherited Irvine's squad and we heard similar calls. Whoever comes in now and (hopefully not) we miss out on promotion, are we going to hear the same cry and the new manager will plead with Madaric based on this to "give me one year to build my own team Boss!"

I cant get to see the football being played but endorse what others say and that is to get out of League One using any type of football necessary so I believe this consideration is irrelevant.

Difficult call but one thing is for sure and that is that many posters are still confused that they are following a football club - oh - how wrong you all are?? This is a business and therefore it needs a business decision and this has been made by a very well experienced and successfull businessman. Mandaric's reputation is at stake here.

Guest tyler66

For those that think MM was right (a footballing decision) then read on.

If you think being in 3rd spot with 13 games left is failure then you need to look at the football facts and then look back at the state we was in after relegation

I'm not sure but I think this is one of our the best home records we have had for years. Only lost 2 games at home all season and those to teams in the top 6

Our last ten games home and away

Won 4

Lost 4

Draws 2

Last time we lost by more than 1 goal was too Stevenage in September

If you look at the games we have lost over the past few weeks we dominated them and it was poor mistakes towards the end off the games, and all but one away from home, when yes we should have won, but nothing the manager could do it was about the players on the pitch.

As for the style of play, yes it's not the best at times, but if you look at COG goal last Sunday if fact look at most of the goals this season not many came from hoofball.

Should be in the play-off's without breaking a sweat and still with a slim chance of 2nd auto

If you think bringing in someone new is the answer then you know little about football, other than Chelsea (have money to burn) the clubs who are the most stable and have success (for there level) are the ones that don't change managers once a season.

One Last point if we don't get promotion this season who's fault will it be? If we get promotion who will have get the credit (other than the players)?

I will support whoever the new manager is but I think MM got this wrong even if we do get promoted, not because GM is one of "us" but because I can not think of another manager with the same or better CV than GM. Of all those mentioned on this site not one has got the same level of success at different levels of football than GM As for the others how many will stay if EPL or "bigger/better placed & funded" clubs came knocking on the door. I'm not saying GM would have stay because he did once say he would have to think hard about it, but I think most if not all others would be off in a shot.

Guest pogzy

always read Owlstalk but never really post due to any new posters points being shot down by the usual crew!

Can't help but think that Mandaric has a new buyer already lined up and he's got fixed prices for the club (promotion or not). Meggo did a fantastic job for me. Not just the football but in getting the club back to being a fan friendly one. He brought some real talent to the club and i just hope the new manager will keep Meggo's backroom staff.

Lets get behind the new man when he comes and lets get this club out of this league! WAWAW!!!

Gutted about the decision. When you look at where we were this time last year, the progress made under Megson is pretty impressive. Say what you like about the style of football we played, but I find it refreshing that we genuinely look like scoring every time we get a corner or set piece.

I'm from Sflaphorpe and watched the game at Glanford Park with some Scunny fans and they were amazed at how much stronger we were than them. (They also thought JJ was pretty much the best player on the planet!) After years of watching the likes of Potter get bullied by teams we should be hammering, I was delighted to hear opposition fans talk about us like this. Especially Scunny fans with them being a bit of a bogey team for us before this season.

Megson's style was certainly direct at times but when we got it down and out wide we were entertaining to watch in my opinion. Sunday's goal and the 2nd at home to Tranmere in particular prove that.

Hopefully the new manager won't try change too much and continue to play Reda at left back etc. I think if we have to settle for a play off place it isn't the end of the world, especially when you compare this season to last, we've every chance of winning them.

Guest Darth Sturrock

I'm very disappointed to be honest. gary megson is Wednesday through and through, and this will hurt him a lot, and hurts us has Wednesdayites.

HOWEVER, it seems pretty clear that GM had some disagreements with Milan or Paul Aldridge or both, and so realistically speaking, there was only one outcome.

The main thing is, I'm not one of these who says Milan out and poo poo like that, because let's be right, that's counter-productive. WHOEVER the new manager is, we need to get behind him and the club, because the big picture is, we're Sheffield Wednesday, and as a minimum requirement, we should be in the Championship, and all our support helps in some way towards that goal.

As for the new manager, I would like to see somebody here with charisma, such as Kevin Keegan or Paolo Di Canio, because I think we have a big chance here to make a statement, and get bums on seats, but if I had to put money on it, I would put money on Mick McCarthy. He's not my personal first choice though, but I suspect he may be Milan's.

Gutted by this,but not shocked.Clearly there's been a breakdown in the relationship between Megson and Milan,there was only ever going to be one outcome.Thanks for all the hard work Gary and good luck in the future.Onwards and -hopefully-upwards for Wednesday.

Guest bally14

I'm a bit bewildered by the sacking of Megson, but I think the decision was made prior to Sunday and the derby win.

I don't think we'll be able to bring in a better manager and I'm pretty underwhelmed by the prospect of Dave Jones.

I enjoy reading over peoples comments on here but sometimes I despair. Some of the people who were honestly supporting the appointment PDC are laughable.

Guest orangeOWL

I've been a reader of OT for years and never really bothered signing up but this seems a good enough excuse.

I'm gutted Megson's gone , his style of football was ugly but effective and Sunday was a prime example of it working. I don't fully understand why Milan feels a managerial change is right , to me the teams with most stability are better equipped for the run in to the end of the season but at the end of the day with out the man I'm not sure SWFC would be here today and that surely gives the right for the time being to do what he wants. Is Megsons departure for the best .... time will tell i guess.

In bound manager , for me Di Canio or Mick McCarthy ( All though i'd be reet suprised if he drops down to L1)

If its Dave Jones i'll be gutted The most un-insperational manger available and i cant see him achieving over a low Champ status however long he stayed.

Rant over :biggrin:

Just a reader here. Gutted for Megson and totally wrong decision for me too. Having now calmed down a bit here is my two penneth. My lowest moment was a cold wet Tuesday night last season against Hudds. I honestly thought that night was game over. As dissappointing as the feeling is today I am nowhere as down as i was that night.

My missus came downstairs this morning and said she wasnt going again, and said I had to tell my 7 year old what was going on. :sad: I told him and the first thing he said was, are we not going to Rochdale then. The answer was yes were going to Rochdale, and Notts County and Leyton Orient and anywhere else Wednesday are playing.

Not too bothered who comes in, whoever it is deserves a chance from us. We are not our piggie cousins, will not have a demo outside ground. we are Wednesday.

UTO

Sickened by Megsons departure - suspect that Milan moved to replace him whilst the 3 consecutive league losses were still a factor he could point to as justification for his actions.

Distinctly winnable games coming up against the likes of Rochdale, Bury, Walsall, Orient in what looks like a run of 'soft' March fixtures would make the replacement of one of our own even more unpalatable than it has been for most of us...I reckon there was an element of 'it's now or never' in last nights antics

Guest bally14
Megson's win rate at Wednesday 43.6%, Dave Jones win rate at Cardiff 41.9% - who's the better manager?

Jones was managing in the Championship tbf

Guest gcwexford

It's a stupid decision as there is nobody better available to replace him. Sunderland sacked Bruce and had a better manager in O'Neil lined up. Leeds sacked Grayson and had Warnock lined up. None of the realistic runners are better managers than Megson. Dave Jones, for example, will make no difference apart from a couple of early wins and the players, mostly brought in my Megson, will be looking for ways to undermine him.

Guest Reid or Deid

If Megson and Mandaric had their alleged bust up after the Chesterfield game, then surely that was the time to swing the axe? There would've been less fans on Milan's back.

By waiting - probably to see if Dave Jones or whoever was up for taking over - our Chairman's created a far bigger shitstorm.

And now people are on about not renewing season tickets, boycotting games and not buying any merchandise. The timing is truly bizarre.

You just know that Megson will get a job with a team at the top end of the Championship or bottom of the Premier League and do well. The sad thing is that could've been us.

Guest andyowl1

Utter disgrace

I have followed the owls since the mid seventies, been a season ticket holder with my family for many many years I have already signed up for next season. I can't recall being so angry with the sacking of a manager. Having said that. However much we are hurting now we will have to get behind the new manager and support our team in our usual outstanding manner.

Thanks for the passion Gary. One day you will return to the post I just know it.

Guest Here we go...

Megson sacking has prompted me to finally stop just reading the site and actually register and say what I think!

Have to say this is a pretty poor effort by the club and it's worrying that MM's first reaction is to bullsh*t us all with this line about wanting to secure promotion. If it's for purely footballing reasons then I just don't see the argument - we can debate till the cows come home about whether we liked Meggo's style of play but given the budgetary restrictions Megson's been working under then the job he's done has been remarkable, particularly when you look at where we were this time last year.

If it's because of a personality clash with PA or MM then it just sounds worryingly like the bad old days. We all knew the reputation that MM came to the club with as a hirer and firer but perhaps we thought it would be different this time around, especially given the impact GM has had on our league position and his relationship with the fans.

I'm not going to start ranting about not going to watch because at the end of the day we've got to get behind the team (and whoever's managing it) and get out of this sh*thole league but I am disappointed. I might have been naive but I really thought this was the start of a brave new world where we would have some consistency, led from the front by a guy who is a proven manager in the higher leagues, an Owl through and through and also just a decent guy.

So I guess that's it really - a bit angry and very, very disappointed. Sounds a lot like the last 12 years really... lol

Absolutely gutted last night when i heard the news, couldnt get my head round it. Did the usual 'thats it they arent getting another penny from me', how could they do that to Gary.

Calmed down at bit this morning, now im more 'no man is greater than the club' etc etc

Only time will tell if MM has made the right decision for SWFC, hopefully he has, and i would like to wish whoever gets the job all the luck in the world and good luck Gary for whatever the future brings for you, and that waltz we had at the 84 Supporters club dinner dance will live in my memory forever.