Jason Walker - York City Striker watched for a third time by our scouts

I am sorry to have to disapoint all you owl fans out there but there is no way JASON WALKER is signing for anyone either now or in January

why? becouse he is enjoying himself playing in a team of players like himself skillful, and entertaining at the top end of the league he may be scoreing some great goals but it is very much a team effort

we would be mad to let him go and our chairman and manager have said as much

if you have a free saturday you should go to a york city game and see for yourselves

we are looking forwards to the rest of the season and bring on the big teams in the cup

yours a YCFC fan enjoying his football this season

Sorry to dissapoit you also but if we or any large club comes in for him and triple his wages he will off quicker than Usain Bolt on crack .

I am sorry to have to disapoint all you owl fans out there but there is no way JASON WALKER is signing for anyone either now or in January

why? becouse he is enjoying himself playing in a team of players like himself skillful, and entertaining at the top end of the league he may be scoreing some great goals but it is very much a team effort

we would be mad to let him go and our chairman and manager have said as much

if you have a free saturday you should go to a york city game and see for yourselves

we are looking forwards to the rest of the season and bring on the big teams in the cup

yours a YCFC fan enjoying his football this season

Saw one of Walker's goals the other day - great build up play by York.

I appreciate he's enjoying his time with you guys, but I can guarantee you that if any club the size of Sheffield Wednesday comes in for him, he'll be off without a second's thought. And if for whatever crazy reason he doesn't leave for a bigger club, then I'd be seriously questioning the lad's ambition and self belief and as such wouldn't want him anyway.

The transfer window doesnt apply to non-league players, we could sign him tomorrow if we wanted

Bournemouth have signed a few non-league players outside the window i think

Sorry, but this is rubbish! He is under contract, so transfer windows apply.

You do sometimes find players on non-contract terms at non-league level, and they can be signed at any time as free agents, but clearly this isn't the case with Walker.

Getting Walker for £60k is looking like a great bargain for York, and I can see him scoring goals at a higher level. But, I can't see him departing in january for a few reasons.

The value of promotion back into the league is greater than the amount any club would be willing to pay - well, I suppose a premiership team would view it as spare change but I dont think he is good enough to be attracting that kind of attention!

The board have in previous seasons turned down the opportunity to cash in on players during the mid season window, prefering to gamble on promotion (for example, Clayton Donaldson who was out of contract that summer)

They have also shown a willingness to stand up to "unsettled" players, such as turning down a transfer request last January from McGurk when Luton had come in with an offer for him.

Of course an offer may be made for him that is too good to turn down, Mills might already have spotted an ideal replacement, and a deal could be done. However, I think it is unlikely.

Next summer could be a different matter - it could be hard to hold onto him then (especially if we miss out on promotion) if he continues playing the way he has been so far this season!

Guest Milan Mandaric - God

Is he fast?

Yes. One of the fastest at BSP level. Got a great leap to win headers for a little lad too.

Don't think Sheringham was under contract like Walker is, i can't see York selling unless its for big money. He's key to their promotion push and they won't give him up lightly, as for everyone saying he'd jump to play for us how do you know? Playing regular football in a decent side or just sat on the bench as 4th choice?

Hmmm....playing for York City in the non-league or the chance of making a proper career as a professional football club for one of the biggest clubs in the region...

Yeah, he'll probably stay playing for York City... :mellow:

Edited by frastheowl

erm its not rubbish, how did Bournemouth sign Charlie Sheringham yesterday then????

It seems you were almost right, as new rule came in this season where transfer windows don't apply lower down the non-league ladder... that's news to me I must admit!

You can sign players from clubs below Conference Premier level any time you like (such as Sheringham from Dartford), but Walker would still be subject to the usual transfer window restrictions.

Edited by Buzby

Hmmm....playing for York City in the non-league or the chance of making a proper career as a professional football club for one of the biggest clubs in the region...

Yeah, he'll probably stay playing for York City...

:mellow:

Doesnt quite work like that though does it unfortunately ! Doncaster wanted him off barrow couple year back but wernt willing to pay 100k barrow wanted for him so it never happened ! Hense why he's not getting his hopes up this time !

Doesnt quite work like that though does it unfortunately ! Doncaster wanted him off barrow couple year back but wernt willing to pay 100k barrow wanted for him so it never happened ! Hense why he's not getting his hopes up this time !

That;s different.

If York accept a bid...there's no chance Walker would stay at York rather than sign for Wednesday (or Doncaster or Leeds or United or even Chesterfield or Rotherham for that matter!).

That;s different.

If York accept a bid...there's no chance Walker would stay at York rather than sign for Wednesday (or Doncaster or Leeds or United or even Chesterfield or Rotherham for that matter!).

I never meant that I know for fact if we have a bid accepted hell be here in a shot ! The question is will they accept what we have to offer?

Staying at York and potentially helping them to promotion back to the football league playing near enough every match while enjoying his football, being happy at the club OR joining Wednesday as 4th choice striker maybe only ever getting 10/15 minute sub appearences on the odd occasion and not enjoying it?

Bearing in mind they sold Brodie for £250,000 and they rate Walker higher and their finances are better now than when Brodie went they'll want more than that for him, so would we pay that?

To your first question...Yes, without a doubt. I would hope that he wouldn't come to the club with the attitude you are presuming. I'd hope a striker whose banging them in the lower leagues would come to a club like ours with the sole intention of forcing himself in the first team, and continuing his goal scoring exploits. So it's simply not a case of him coming here and sitting on the bench. If he performs, he'll play. Megson has been pretty consistent with from the start.

I haven't a clue what we'd be willing to pay, or if we are seriously interested in him as it is. If Megson and his scouting team rate him, and think he's worth X amount, and the board are willing to pay it, then they'll offer it. However, I think a club of York's side (regardless of relative financial security) would find it very difficult to simply dismiss £250,000. That's a lot of money to a club of that size.

It seems you were almost right, as new rule came in this season where transfer windows don't apply lower down the non-league ladder... that's news to me I must admit!

You can sign players from clubs below Conference Premier level any time you like (such as Sheringham from Dartford), but Walker would still be subject to the usual transfer window restrictions.

It was news to me too until the other day!Why is Walker any different then? why is he still subject to the transfer window rules?

It was news to me too until the other day!Why is Walker any different then? why is he still subject to the transfer window rules?

The cut off point isn't league / non-league. The Conference (Blue Square Premier) is still included in the transfer window rules, so York City / Walker are still subject to all the rules as per normal.

Below this level, that is where things changed. Dartford play in the Conference South, hence why Sheringham could be signed at any time.

1st post on owstalk.

My old man is a season ticket at York City, this gave me the chance to go and watch the minsterman a couple of weeks back. In the stands all the fans were talking of Walker about how he was the man to watch and they were very aware of the owl's interest. I wasn't disappointed at all by his performance; Quick strong, full of running, great touches and a great finish. In the Rooney mould (does looks like Bart Simpson though), not a tall player but a strong player who battles, hastles harries and makes intelligent runs. He looked good- the BSQ is obviously not to the standard of league 1 and signing him is bound to be a gamble, however I think he could make the step up. Be interesting to see if a move is made over the coming months.