The Russians Are Coming

Thought this might be worth a separate thread.

Apparently, we will play a friendly in Austria against Russian top flight outfit FC Volga Novgorod. Just a few questions.

1) Why not play against an Austrian outfit whilst in Austria?

2)Why a top flight Russian team?

3)The Russian Premier League is already in full swing, they're only half way through their season with fixtures to play throughout July and August, so why play us in a friendly, in Austria, in the middle of their domestic fixtures?

Am I the only one who finds this strange?

I may be wrong but there could possibly be a link up between the two clubs.

Milan is Serbian, there are Serbian and other Eastern

European internationals in their squad, and according to www.transfermarkt.co.uk most seem to be within our grasp financially.

I suspect the Eastern European market is one we could

exploit with Milan's connections.

Am I reading too much into this do you think?

Is this a result of a lack of any real football news doing the rounds at the moment, and me having too much time on my hands, or do others share my interest in the

opposition, and timing of this friendly?

Edited by theowlsman

Apparently, we will play a friendly in Austria against Russian top flight outfit FC Volga Novgorod. Just a few questions.

3)The Russian Premier League is already in full swing, they're only half way through their season with fixtures to play throughout July and August, so why play us in a friendly, in Austria, in the middle of their domestic fixtures?

Milan is Serbian, there are Serbian and other Eastern European internationals in their squad, and according to www.transfermarkt.co.uk most seem to be within our grasp financially.

I suspect the Eastern European market is one we could exploit with Milan's connections.

Am I reading toouch into this do you think?

Is this a result of a lack of any real football news doing the rounds at the moment and me having too much time on my hands, or do others share my interest in the opposition,and timing of this friendly?

Maybe cos FC Volga Novgorod. are touring Austria and they wanted to play against a team every one had heard of...

Edited by asteener1867

Milan is Serbian, there are Serbian and other Eastern European internationals in their squad, and according to www.transfermarkt.co.uk most seem to be within our grasp financially.

I suspect the Eastern European market is one we could exploit with Milan's connections.

Am I reading toouch into this do you think?

Is this a result of a lack of any real football news doing the rounds at the moment and me having too much time on my hands, or do others share my interest in the opposition,and timing of this friendly?

I know what i do when i have too much time on my hands and it isnt think about Milan Manderic...

Haha.

But touring Austria, to play friendlies bang smack in the middle of their domestic season?

Its probably a poliburo decision...they stand on that balcony like thingy at the Kremlin and make decisions...I mean its like....

"What does it mean Comrade if we play The Rapid Vienna...nada (yes i know its not fvckin' Russian but i know none)...But i have heard, Comrade Kaminsky that The Famous Sheffield Wednesday are playing in Austria pre season, if we could manage to get a game against such an Illustrious club, the world would realise that the Capitalist USA never landed on the moon"

"VADDLE!!!

"sorry"

"VADDLE..he played for zem...

"err yes ...he did"

"Number Von..is Roland Nielson, number 2 is Roland N..."

"Yes Yes I know this Comrade...

"No Vait a moment its the vunny..song..Number 3 is Rola..."

"I heard it Comr...

"K ...vait...number nine..its Davy Virst..zats the vunny bit...its davy Virst..not Ro....."

"Yes Yes ...i understand ze humerousness of... "

"I have a Zhed...as big as this... I have a Zhed as...

"Shut the **** up!!!.....err..comrade...

"Come and have a dvink wiz uz..we'll dvink you to frenzy..."

"have you heard zat line from ze stranglers song...Votever 'appened to..Leon Trotsky..he got an ice pick....

"point taken

Its probably a poliburo decision...they stand on that balcony like thingy at the Kremlin and make decisions...I mean its like....

"What does it mean Comrade if we play The Rapid Vienna...nada (yes i know its not fvckin' Russian but i know none)...But i have heard, Comrade Kaminsky that The

Famous Sheffield Wednesday are playing in Austria pre season, if we could manage to get a game against such an Illustrious club, the world would realise that the Capitalist USA never landed on the moon"

"VADDLE!!!

"sorry"

"VADDLE..he played for zem...

"err yes ...he did"

"Number Von..is Roland Nielson, number 2 is Roland N..."

"Yes Yes I know this Comrade...

"No Vait a moment its the vunny..song..Number 3 is Rola..."

"I heard it Comr...

"K ...vait...number nine..its Davy Virst..zats the vunny bit...its davy Virst..not Ro....."

"Yes Yes ...i understand ze humerousness of... "

"I have a Zhed...as big as this... I have a Zhed as...

"Shut the **** up!!!.....err..comrade...

"Come and have a dvink wiz uz..we'll dvink you to frenzy..."

"have you heard zat line from ze stranglers song...Votever 'appened to..Leon Trotsky..he got an ice pick....

"point taken

Hahahaha. Me like, made me laugh.

Good one Andy

Haha.

But touring Austria, to play friendlies bang smack in the middle of their domestic season?

Play a team who are half way through their season, Who will be fit and more of a challenge OR a team of lesser quality who will not be as fit?? Hmmmmm i wonder which will be best for our players

Play a team who are half way through their season, Who will be fit and more of a challenge OR a team of lesser quality who will not be as fit?? Hmmmmm i wonder which will be best for our players

So you think we might be paying them to play a friendly against us mid-season then?

Otherwise I can't see what's in it for them.

The 2011/12 season will be a transitional season, as it will stretch over 18 instead of the conventional 12 months. The unusual length of the season is the result of the decision to adapt the playing year to an autumn-spring rhythm similar to most of the other European leagues.

Perhaps they have a few spare weeks in which they want to keep fit

Alright, you've all convinced me I'm being overly suspicious.

Turning this thread around then, what a great idea to play a team that's already match fit, in mid-season, and burning on all cylinders. What a good work out that will be and what an inspired idea.

Surprised Alan Irvine aka Supercoach didn't think of it. Well done GM.

Then there's the striker who is known as The Milkman 'cos he always delivers

Sergei Dropusabottlov

And the soprano..Ivor Kutabolokov...ohh .ooh..wait... wot about the brian the blade one...I.talkalotatosh....and the Seth one..."I'm a fat b*stard....(I'm workin' on that one)....

From what I hear, starting next summer, the Russian league is moving to a new calendar - basically ours - with seasons running from August - May, instead of the current set up (March - November).

To facilitate the change, the current season will actually run from March 2011 - April 2012. With big gaps at various points in the year, to pad out the season.

Therefore the Russians are not just available to play us in July, but will actually benefit, as it will help keep them match fit during one of their gaps.

Edit - Apologies Bigrbuk - just seen your post.

Edited by Neal M

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.