O'DONNELL LAST NIGHT

Guest Wildman1867

Guest Wildman1867

I have to say that i am a big fan of ROD'S and i think he will make a very good keeper wether with us or someone else i don't know.

It was obvious that he was going to be nervous last night playing his first game at Hillsborough but i really felt sorry for him when none of that pile of poo that he had in front of him helped at all.

The tackling was non existent, the marking was non existent and the back passes that were made were awful.

I wasn't quite sure about the third goal , he looked to have the wall organised but the free kick was tremendous and he didn't stand much chance of reaching it.

I have to say though that some of his kicking was a bit wayward maybe down to nerves but i really think that he will know not to expect any help from the defence in future and just ensure that he concentrates more.

Probably didn't help with Megson swapping the defence about again there is no consistency in the back 4, when you play together game after game you gain confidence with each other , our defence just looked totally bereft of any idea of how to defend last night.

Other than his kicking he looked distinctly average at best if I am being honest. If you select average footballers you don't win too many football matches.

You have to assume that before conceding the free kick he positioned his wall so he could see the ball. If he could see the ball it is beyond me how his brain failed to compute, during its flight, that the shot was destined for his left hand side to such an extent that he didn't move his feet at all to get into a position to attempt a save.

For years we have made excuses for young players, especially ones that have come through our academy. We should judge players on performances, not on where they have come from or their possible potential. This is a common mistake in football that successful clubs do not make.

It's easy for us to slate his kicking, but imagine how nervous he was. playing his first home game, in a shambles of a team playing with no confidence, in front of an (understandably) angry and negative crowd. I was at Dagenham, and when in front of us away fans his kicking wasn't the best, and the flippingidiots who booed him and gave ironic cheers when he kicked straight at that match probably didn't help him for last night. He's 21, probably 10 years til he hits his prime, and I for one believe he has ability.

Guest pembo55

Why on earth we had a 9 man wall nearly I have no Idea I like him and want him to become our number 1 eventually. But I think his confidence is rock bottom but if we don't get on his back and the team improves he will become more confident and better. But all 11 players in the box on 3set pieces yesterday is ridiculous and need sorting out by megson

Guest Wildman1867

It's easy for us to slate his kicking, but imagine how nervous he was. playing his first home game, in a shambles of a team playing with no confidence, in front of an (understandably) angry and negative crowd. I was at Dagenham, and when in front of us away fans his kicking wasn't the best, and the flippingidiots who booed him and gave ironic cheers when he kicked straight at that match probably didn't help him for last night. He's 21, probably 10 years til he hits his prime, and I for one believe he has ability.

My sentiments exactly, mind you it wasnt just him they were booing it was everyone, the atmosphere last night was shocking.

still early days to be commenting on ROD .. apart from conceding the goals, he didn't have a lot else to do apart from the routine goal kicks

slightly at fault for the 2nd goal and command of his wall and positioning called into question for the third

HOWEVER, give him half a season first team football then judge him after that ..

Other than his kicking he looked distinctly average at best if I am being honest. If you select average footballers you don't win too many football matches.

You have to assume that before conceding the free kick he positioned his wall so he could see the ball. If he could see the ball it is beyond me how his brain failed to compute, during its flight, that the shot was destined for his left hand side to such an extent that he didn't move his feet at all to get into a position to attempt a save.

For years we have made excuses for young players, especially ones that have come through our academy. We should judge players on performances, not on where they have come from or their possible potential. This is a common mistake in football that successful clubs do not make.

So, lets judge him on the three performances he has had so far then???

What a crock of $hite. Youth players will not look like seasoned first team Pros immediately - there is a little thing called "Learning the Game" that players go through and pick up with experience. They will also get more consistant the more they play.

So Far, Richard has had an excellent game (Southampton), good game (Dag & Red) and in your view, an average game.

Not bad for a rookie keeper if the worst he's played so far is average?

Guest mikeglossopowl

He looked nervous last night and will improve on that. Unfortunately the shower in front of him won't!

So, lets judge him on the three performances he has had so far then???

What a crock of $hite. Youth players will not look like seasoned first team Pros immediately - there is a little thing called "Learning the Game" that players go through and pick up with experience. They will also get more consistant the more they play.

So Far, Richard has had an excellent game (Southampton), good game (Dag & Red) and in your view, an average game.

Not bad for a rookie keeper if the worst he's played so far is average?

But not good enough for a keeper playing in the first team!

O'Donnell did make mistakes last night, but for a 3rd choice, 3rd division goalkeeper I think he's doing pretty well.

He has a chance to prove to the management that he is worth keeping and that he deserves to stay at the club. He will want to prove that he is capable of being 1st pick nevermind 2nd and if he has a few more 'Southampton' performances then he might just do it.

Early days yet.

probably being over critical here but i thought for the first goal he should have come off his line and dealt with it. fair enough the guy had a free header but a goalkeeper needs to claim things like this in his six yard box.

he showed the same fraility later on in the first half when he came off his line and was beaten to the ball by the forward. most people had that down as a foul but the ref didn't give it.

it also seemed to me that he wasn't at all vocal to help the defence out. there were lots of instances where Brentford played a ball over the top and there was confusion between the centre halfs and the keeper. he needs to take control of the situation.

i understand he is young and inexperienced but he will have to grow a massive pair in the next six weeks to keep us up

Guest Saturday Owl

probably being over critical here but i thought for the first goal he should have come off his line and dealt with it. fair enough the guy had a free header but a goalkeeper needs to claim things like this in his six yard box.

:laugh: :laugh:

Don't be daft.