O'DONNELL LAST NIGHT

Guest Wildman1867

Guest mkowl

Ultra critical, but for the first there was a through ball he should have come for and collected, Jones put it out for a throw, which they then got a corner, from which they scored

Just seemed destined that the free kick was going in

The second was a mess but it was a terrific weighted cross by their player, lets say you can't imagine JJ being that subtle

:laugh: :laugh:

Don't be daft.

Not been daft. The ball was in the six yard box. How close to the goal before a goalie can come off his line?

He was excellent at Southampton and steady at dagenham but last night he looked very nervous for some reason.

Hope he picks it up for Saturday

Not been daft. The ball was in the six yard box. How close to the goal before a goalie can come off his line?

He was excellent at Southampton and steady at dagenham but last night he looked very nervous for some reason.

Hope he picks it up for Saturday

You ever noticed that the team attacking at a corner will have a guy stood about a yard from the keeper, minding his own business?

Thats so it smuch more difficult (and dangerous) for a goalie to come and catch a corner.

He looked last night like he didn't what the ball anywhere near him, he rushed every goal kick, thus making his kicking poor, he attemted to clear all back passes like the ball would explode he he failed to attempt to kick it from here to the moon, again making his distribution poor, he also looked very unsure as to wheater he should come for the couple of corners they had, settleing instead to be blocked in and surrounded by players.

A bit critical yes, but you can only judge on what you see, it's ok saying "you carn't blame him with the players in front of him, but like wise those same players have to have the confidence in the keeper to comand that back line and act as sweeper on occasions, a few times last night he could have helped them out, but chose to hide in his area.

Unfortunaly 3 games in (1st showed promise, 2nd Did OK, 3rd Could do better) and he has cought what most of the squad has, it's called the commonly spotted "Hide-n-point" it makes you really inaffective when you have the ball, but when you haven't you can clearly see that others should be doing more, so you point (sometimes clap) then move into an area of the pitch that offers nothing to the team, but good scope to do some more pointing.

First goal he had no chance..... 2nd was a shambles all round ... the free kick was in his corner, but it was a good execution from the lad.

Can't really grumble, he did ok.

Kicking wasn't the best, suppose thats why he's in the net. :biggrin:

1st goal he didnt have a chance when he decided to stay on his line ! I never understand why a keeper doesnt come for a ball in the 6 yard box. Get off your line and claim it.You have no chance of making a wonder save from point blank. Bloody deal with the cross instead

Well, he ain't ever going to improve siting on his arse or on loan to Alfreton.

All we can do is give him the games and accept that he will have the odd off game.

We don't want him to practise in the first team to see if he is any good, he should be playing in the reserves or out on loan somewhere to judge this and let him develop, although he probably will not develop any further from the stage he is at now in his career.

We desperately need a tried and tested keeper with consistency. The fact that we are going into a critical stage in our season with a young untried kid in the goal is absolutely ridiculous!

Guest Wildman1867

He looked last night like he didn't what the ball anywhere near him, he rushed every goal kick, thus making his kicking poor, he attemted to clear all back passes like the ball would explode he he failed to attempt to kick it from here to the moon, again making his distribution poor, he also looked very unsure as to wheater he should come for the couple of corners they had, settleing instead to be blocked in and surrounded by players.

A bit critical yes, but you can only judge on what you see, it's ok saying "you carn't blame him with the players in front of him, but like wise those same players have to have the confidence in the keeper to comand that back line and act as sweeper on occasions, a few times last night he could have helped them out, but chose to hide in his area.

Unfortunaly 3 games in (1st showed promise, 2nd Did OK, 3rd Could do better) and he has cought what most of the squad has, it's called the commonly spotted "Hide-n-point" it makes you really inaffective when you have the ball, but when you haven't you can clearly see that others should be doing more, so you point (sometimes clap) then move into an area of the pitch that offers nothing to the team, but good scope to do some more pointing.

Fully agree with this - people haven't criticised weaver when we have conceeded 11 goals in the 4 games before RO'D went into the net. Lets give the kid a F****N chance before we rip him to bits.

We don't want him to practise in the first team to see if he is any good, he should be playing in the reserves or out on loan somewhere to judge this and let him develop, although he probably will not develop any further from the stage he is at now in his career.

We desperately need a tried and tested keeper with consistency. The fact that we are going into a critical stage in our season with a young untried kid in the goal is absolutely ridiculous!

I disagree Baron.

Keepers never peak as young as 21/22- he's got absolutely years ahead of him. Look at all of the best keepers around and tell me how many are around the age of 20? Then tell me how many are around the age of 30.

In goalkeeping terms, he's still a baby.

I disagree Baron.

Keepers never peak as young as 21/22- he's got absolutely years ahead of him. Look at all of the best keepers around and tell me how many are around the age of 20? Then tell me how many are around the age of 30.

In goalkeeping terms, he's still a baby.

But the vast majority of footballers and particularly goalkeepers who are on the fringes of a third division team at the age of 22 do not go on to forge a successful career. If we are being honest Richard is not outstanding and will almost certainly go on to play non league football at semi professional level within the next three or four years.

Sorry to be realistic and have to break the bad news to you!

Teams like us can not afford to gamble on these types of goal keepers, we desperately need an experienced keeper in the net for our remaining games, the fact that we will not have this is very disappointing.

Of course O'Donnell will make mistakes - he's a rookie and it is all part and parcel of the lad's development.

Obviously, ideally we wouldn;t want him making errors for us whilst we are in a relegation battle, but we have no choice with Weaver injured.

The kid will become a better goalkeeper for the games he's getting now and will learn from his errors - which are few and far between anyway.

Guest Wildman1867

Of course O'Donnell will make mistakes - he's a rookie and it is all part and parcel of the lad's development.

Obviously, ideally we wouldn;t want him making errors for us whilst we are in a relegation battle, but we have no choice with Weaver injured.

The kid will become a better goalkeeper for the games he's getting now and will learn from his errors - which are few and far between anyway.

I think baron is being very harsh on the lad , he has already played at DIV 2 level with oldham 2 years ago ( when he was only 19) and had a good spell there. I have always said that he will be a very good keeper but probably not at this club.

With regards to his commitment and wanting to play for this club i think when people see the picture of him coming off the pitch that is in the star today they will see just how gutted the lad was. I saw him in the car park later and the look on his face said it all. He genuinely wants to do well for wednesday and after sitting on the bench for the last two years deserves his chance. Hopefully he will have learnt from Tuesday night and concentrate more on his kicking and all round game.

I said two weeks ago we should bring in a keeper with a view to him being next seasons no 1. and got slated for it, on the grounds it would be a smack in the chops to ROD. I said then this was no time to blood young players (particularly a keeper) and his nervous display on Tuesday kind of proves that. I thought he did Ok tbh, but its not a good place to be playing at the moment, and we need to be careful it doesnt wreck him.

But the vast majority of footballers and particularly goalkeepers who are on the fringes of a third division team at the age of 22 do not go on to forge a successful career. If we are being honest Richard is not outstanding and will almost certainly go on to play non league football at semi professional level within the next three or four years.

Sorry to be realistic and have to break the bad news to you!

Teams like us can not afford to gamble on these types of goal keepers, we desperately need an experienced keeper in the net for our remaining games, the fact that we will not have this is very disappointing.

I'm not arguing that he's going to go on and become England's number 1.

Just that i've seen enough from watching him in reserve games last year and from the Southampton and Dagenham games to think he has enough for a decent football league career, be it as a number 1 or two.

How many times have you seen him play?

I'm not arguing that he's going to go on and become England's number 1.

Just that i've seen enough from watching him in reserve games last year and from the Southampton and Dagenham games to think he has enough for a decent football league career, be it as a number 1 or two.

How many times have you seen him play?

I am very experienced at judging young footballing talent and for that reason I think he is........................ a number 2. :biggrin:

I think baron is being very harsh on the lad , he has already played at DIV 2 level with oldham 2 years ago ( when he was only 19) and had a good spell there. I have always said that he will be a very good keeper but probably not at this club.

With regards to his commitment and wanting to play for this club i think when people see the picture of him coming off the pitch that is in the star today they will see just how gutted the lad was. I saw him in the car park later and the look on his face said it all. He genuinely wants to do well for wednesday and after sitting on the bench for the last two years deserves his chance. Hopefully he will have learnt from Tuesday night and concentrate more on his kicking and all round game.

We don't need players who look gutted after playing poorly and losing, we have had enough of that over the last few years. We want players who leave the pitch with a smile on their face, revelling in the adulation from the crowd after a great performance and another three points.

If we accept the former as being the norm we will never achieve the success we crave.

You say that he will probably not be a success at this club, I presume that is because you feel he is to young, inexperienced and not good enough to play in the first team at present? So why are we relying on him at such a critical point in our season and history?

Guest Wildman1867

We don't need players who look gutted after playing poorly and losing, we have had enough of that over the last few years. We want players who leave the pitch with a smile on their face, revelling in the adulation from the crowd after a great performance and another three points.

If we accept the former as being the norm we will never achieve the success we crave.

You say that he will probably not be a success at this club, I presume that is because you feel he is to young, inexperienced and not good enough to play in the first team at present? So why are we relying on him at such a critical point in our season and history?

My god you really have it in for him don't you, i bet you were one of those booing him on tues night. They should all hang their heads in shame after tues night's performance. Good job he wasn't bloody smiling when he came off or you'd have sent a F****N hit squad round.

My point is that this club at present is not good at keeping young players, i would not be suprised to see spurr and beevers leave at some time as well in the future, The expectation of the fans here is that everybody who plays in the 1st team should be like Ronaldo, but with younger players it doesn't happen overnight even beevers and spurr still make mistakes after playing in the 1st team for two years In response to your other question i have watched him in the academy side and reserves since he was 15 the same as i have with spurr and beevers.

We are having to rely on him because at this present time he is being given a chance due to our horrendous injury problems and i just think that we should give him and the rest of the team our support until we get out of the mess we are in at present.

By the way what experience have you had of managaing to spot the best young players, if that's true why aren't you scouting for us ???

My god you really have it in for him don't you, i bet you were one of those booing him on tues night. They should all hang their heads in shame after tues night's performance. Good job he wasn't bloody smiling when he came off or you'd have sent a F****N hit squad round.

My point is that this club at present is not good at keeping young players, i would not be suprised to see spurr and beevers leave at some time as well in the future, The expectation of the fans here is that everybody who plays in the 1st team should be like Ronaldo, but with younger players it doesn't happen overnight even beevers and spurr still make mistakes after playing in the 1st team for two years In response to your other question i have watched him in the academy side and reserves since he was 15 the same as i have with spurr and beevers.

We are having to rely on him because at this present time he is being given a chance due to our horrendous injury problems and i just think that we should give him and the rest of the team our support until we get out of the mess we are in at present.

By the way what experience have you had of managaing to spot the best young players, if that's true why aren't you scouting for us ???

You are missing my point. I haven't got it in for him at all, I would love him to go on and become a great keeper for us. However I don't think he has the raw talent to achieve this.

The main point I am trying to make is that Richard is not the keeper we should be pinning our hopes on at this time in a relegation battle. He quite simply does not have the skill set, experience or consistency to perform at this level under the pressures he will face.

I am not questioning the keeper in any way, it is not his fault he has been put in this position, I am questioning the people who didn't consider that Nicky Weaver could possibly be injured at some stage and bring in a keeper with experience whilst they had the chance.

For your information I have never booed a Sheffield Wednesday player in my life and I never would, I would hope I have a little more intelligence than that!

Guest Wildman1867

You are missing my point. I haven't got it in for him at all, I would love him to go on and become a great keeper for us. However I don't think he has the raw talent to achieve this.

The main point I am trying to make is that Richard is not the keeper we should be pinning our hopes on at this time in a relegation battle. He quite simply does not have the skill set, experience or consistency to perform at this level under the pressures he will face.

I am not questioning the keeper in any way, it is not his fault he has been put in this position, I am questioning the people who didn't consider that Nicky Weaver could possibly be injured at some stage and bring in a keeper with experience whilst they had the chance.

For your information I have never booed a Sheffield Wednesday player in my life and I never would, I would hope I have a little more intelligence than that!

Point taken , i have to agree that he has to be more consistent to be in with a chance of making it , but surely you only get that by playing games and hopefully learning by his mistakes, although i agree that this is probably not the best time to be blooding anyone it is the position we are in and they just have to get on with it. I would also never boo a wednesday player as i think it just doesn't acheive anything and with the way things are at present would probably only make things wosre.

On RO'D perhaps we just ought to agree to disagree and hopefully in a few years time he will show us both what he can do.