I think it was a penalty

If you look through the division and pick out the CM that want the ball to feet and are able to play the ball to feet, you will struggle.

I like Potter for his ability to stay calm and retain possession, something 95% of our signings in the last ten years have been hopeless at doing. he does get back (watch the next game he plays, hes one of the first ones back when teams counter attack us) i just think he was wasted under irvine, who made him play further back in front of the back four and stunted both his and Coke from pushing forward.

ill happily admit hes not been good enough this season, nor was he last season. but who was? what grates me is the people who make him a scapegoat, as they did with purse, buxton, etc. potter, in an attacking style wednesday team, would be an asset, thats just my opinion.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I liked the bit where you said he hasnt been good enough for the last 2 seasons, how long do we wait? Lets offer him a new contract eh? Maybe next season he'll be good enough. . . . .no wait a minute maybe the season after. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I liked the bit where you said he hasnt been good enough for the last 2 seasons, how long do we wait? Lets offer him a new contract eh? Maybe next season he'll be good enough. . . . .no wait a minute maybe the season after. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

none of our players have. does that mean we should just replace all flipping 20 of them??

or should we be sensible and look for the players with the skills to do a job in what we have, get some players in that fit to our style, play to our strengths and start to uild a team capable of playing football?

or does that not fit in with your inane and frankly boring witch hunt?

Just watched it on late kick off, first time i've seen the incident.

Think most ref's wouldn't have given it, but to be fair his arm was raised when he jumped to block. However, the ball was hit with some fair pace and Sedgwick was only stood a few yards away, he didn't have a chance to react really.

Sums up our luck this season.

So, you watched it frame by frame and really concentrated but still couldn't tell it was Sedgewick and not Potter?

Already stated further up this thread I struggle to identify individual players on a small screen with my eyesight, to me potter and sedg look similar. However I can see an arm held out to the side however blurry.

Edited by BigOwl

Guest BoomTownOwls

Why is everybody going out about whether his arm was outstretched or not. This is not anywhere in the laws of the game.

It is like being found guilty of drink driving when you hadn't had a drink and arguing about whether you had muddy tyres or not.

The question is, was it DELIBERATE or not? In my opinion, when the ball is hit from that close at that speed there would have to be a sudden movement of the arm towards the ball for it to be deliberate, that is human nature. If the ball is hit that hard from that close could you honestly decide to deliberately hand ball it and yet do it with no sudden movement of the arm? Of course you couldn't! There was no sudden movement of the arm therefore IN THIS INSTANCE there is no way that any referee could reasonably assume it was deliberate.

Also, nowhere in the laws does it say about ball to hand or hand to ball. It is just a load of balls that some pundit somewhere made up. Keith Hackett was at pains to point this out some time back on Talksport.

Guest Triplej2

Why is everybody going out about whether his arm was outstretched or not. This is not anywhere in the laws of the game.

It is like being found guilty of drink driving when you hadn't had a drink and arguing about whether you had muddy tyres or not.

The question is, was it DELIBERATE or not? In my opinion, when the ball is hit from that close at that speed there would have to be a sudden movement of the arm towards the ball for it to be deliberate, that is human nature. If the ball is hit that hard from that close could you honestly decide to deliberately hand ball it and yet do it with no sudden movement of the arm? Of course you couldn't! There was no sudden movement of the arm therefore IN THIS INSTANCE there is no way that any referee could reasonably assume it was deliberate.

Also, nowhere in the laws does it say about ball to hand or hand to ball. It is just a load of balls that some pundit somewhere made up. Keith Hackett was at pains to point this out some time back on Talksport.

It's not just about delibarate though, If i was to jump high in a wall with my arms up and stop a free kick inadvertantly it would be a pen or free kick because the arms shouldn't be up there.

I don't think it was a pen, I'm just saying it's not all about intent.

Guest BoomTownOwls

Errr yes it is. That is the law. It us completely about intent, read the laws.

If you deliberately spread yourself as wide as possible to block the ball and the ball hit your arm then you could argue it was deliberate. Therefore in your example a penalty could justifiably be awarded.

This is where people get confused though. According to the laws if the game it is categorically 100% about intent.

Guest BoomTownOwls

The following is a foul according to the laws:-

Kicking or attempting to kick an opponent

Tripping or attempting to trip an opponent

Jumping at an opponent

Charging an opponent

Striking or attempting to strike an opponent

Pushing an opponent

Tackling an opponent

Or commits (one of) the following offences:

Holding an opponent

Spitting at an opponent

Handling the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area).

Guest BoomTownOwls

There needs to be clarification on the law.

This deliberate or not deliberate business is nonsense. If someone accidently handles the ball on the line when its going in he'll get a red, no question.

if it is cleary accidental a referee should not award a penalty. Therefore he should not get a red.

If the referee gives a penalty, he is then judging it to be deliberate and due to it being on the line, deliberately stopping a clear goalscoring chance. Therefore he must send him off.

Guest BoomTownOwls

I think somebody on Wiki is showing creative licence as I just noticed that apparently tackling an opponent is illegal.

if it is cleary accidental a referee should not award a penalty. Therefore he should not get a red.

If the referee gives a penalty, he is then judging it to be deliberate and due to it being on the line, deliberately stopping a clear goalscoring chance. Therefore he must send him off.

That's bullshit tbh

If a ball is stopped from going into the goal by an arm/hand then regardless of whether it was "deliberate" or not a penalty should be awarded - and invariably would be but the player should not be sent off

You can't treat every offence to the letter of the law because they don't cover nearly enough scenario's - and we all know refs now give penalty's when the ball strikes the hand/arm when the limb is away from the body