Hindsight

Guest xvivahatex

Will take Sflaphorpe back up next season no danger.

Can't believe at one point he effectively made us a top 10 Championship side - if only Milan had taken over sooner.

has he gone back to sflaphorpe?

Hope he gets a decent reception whenever he comes back to hillsborough, although im sure a few idiots will boo him.

I am a bit like a broken record with Laws I know, but I am glad this thread has happened. Brian did a great job here, under truly awful circumstances. He had virtually no input into the buying and selling of players, had the highest positive transfer balance of any manager in our history, played some great stuff at times and apart from the final 8 weeks or so of his time here, and the start of 2007/08, delivered pretty much top half CCC football.

Off the field he was a credit to the club, a genuinely decent man who had no time for the legal nonsense going on and was not afraid to take his name off those papers.

He is a very good manager at this level and will do a fine job at Sflaphorpe if he gets the job, much like the job he did for them before.

I am a bit like a broken record with Laws I know, but I am glad this thread has happened. Brian did a great job here, under truly awful circumstances. He had virtually no input into the buying and selling of players, had the highest positive transfer balance of any manager in our history, played some great stuff at times and apart from the final 8 weeks or so of his time here, and the start of 2007/08, delivered pretty much top half CCC football.

Off the field he was a credit to the club, a genuinely decent man who had no time for the legal nonsense going on and was not afraid to take his name off those papers.

He is a very good manager at this level and will do a fine job at Sflaphorpe if he gets the job, much like the job he did for them before.

If you take into account the Barcelona-esque midfield he left us with Miller, Potter and O'Connor and constantly signing strikers that made Colin West look World Class then yes I couldn't agree more he did a fantastic job did Brian :rolleyes:

He did sign our most effective pairing of strikers though Individually they weren't the best but Tudgay and Burton had a near telepathic understanding. The problem was they didn't score enough goals but it didn't matter when we had the goals from Whelan and Brunt from midfield When they left though, the goals dried up

He did sign our most effective pairing of strikers though Individually they weren't the best but Tudgay and Burton had a near telepathic understanding. The problem was they didn't score enough goals but it didn't matter when we had the goals from Whelan and Brunt from midfield When they left though, the goals dried up

Sturrock signed those.

Sturrock signed these two.

BTW we really miss Burton who was a fine player and a brilliant target man for someone under 6 foot tall.

Guest bartos

Heard it all now.

Laws was a terrible manager and unless he is backed big or can retain most of current squad will struggle with them in League 1

Laws did do a good job initially, but he inherited what was, in hindsight, a very good Championship team: Brunt, Whelan, Bougherra, Wood, Simek, Tudgay, Burton. As he gradually made the team his own and replaced these players, we gradually got worse (apart from the season before last, when we miraculously finished mid-table).

In all honesty, and as easy as it is to slag Laws off, he was severely hamstrung by our finances and was fighting against a tide that eventually caught up with him. But when plenty of other managers managed to find bargains and build teams on a shoestring, he didn't help the situation by bringing in a LOT of throw during his tenure, some of which is still hanging around now.

Laws did do a good job initially, but he inherited what was, in hindsight, a very good Championship team: Brunt, Whelan, Bougherra, Wood, Simek, Tudgay, Burton. As he gradually made the team his own and replaced these players, we gradually got worse (apart from the season before last, when we miraculously finished mid-table).

In all honesty, and as easy as it is to slag Laws off, he was severely hamstrung by our finances and was fighting against a tide that eventually caught up with him. But when plenty of other managers managed to find bargains and build teams on a shoestring, he didn't help the situation by bringing in a LOT of throw during his tenure, some of which is still hanging around now.

As has been pointed out before, Laws didn't bring in the vast majority of players in his time at the club. He was 'given' players to work with.

I would probably also argue with the fact he inherited a very good CCC team. That team finished 21st in 2005/06, narrowly avoiding immediate relegation back to League 1. We then started terribly in 2006/07, and were back in the drop zone after the smacking at Colchester and the sacking of PS. Many of us, me included, thought we'd go down that season after that Colchester game.

Laws inherited a poor CCC team and improved it

Laws did do a good job initially, but he inherited what was, in hindsight, a very good Championship team: Brunt, Whelan, Bougherra, Wood, Simek, Tudgay, Burton. As he gradually made the team his own and replaced these players, we gradually got worse (apart from the season before last, when we miraculously finished mid-table).In all honesty, and as easy as it is to slag Laws off, he was severely hamstrung by our finances and was fighting against a tide that eventually caught up with him. But when plenty of other managers managed to find bargains and build teams on a shoestring, he didn't help the situation by bringing in a LOT of throw during his tenure, some of which is still hanging around now.

I would be delighted to have every one of those players in our starting line up at the minute.

I think Laws did a pretty decent job over the time he was with us. I certainly liked him. The issue was towards the end of his time managing us he seemed to lose the plot. He pretty much admitted he had run out of ideas and didn't know what to do to save us from going down. For that reason I think he had to go.

I would be delighted to have every one of those players in our starting line up at the minute.

I think Laws did a pretty decent job over the time he was with us. I certainly liked him. The issue was towards the end of his time managing us he seemed to lose the plot. He pretty much admitted he had run out of ideas and didn't know what to do to save us from going down. For that reason I think he had to go.

Agreed.

Same with Sturrock. Good manager, but ran out of ideas and energy at the end.

PS and BL are in a different league to the other managers we've had since the sacking of Ron in 1998. Only 2 who were awarded a new contract - says it all.

I would probably also argue with the fact he inherited a very good CCC team. That team finished 21st in 2005/06, narrowly avoiding immediate relegation back to League 1. We then started terribly in 2006/07, and were back in the drop zone after the smacking at Colchester and the sacking of PS. Many of us, me included, thought we'd go down that season after that Colchester game.

Laws inherited a poor CCC team and improved it

I don't think the poor performance of the team before Laws inherited it was reflective of the skill of the players. Sturrock's reign had stagnated, his methods were found wanting at a higher level and a malaise that had gripped the players was released as soon as Sturrock left (as the wins in-between Sturrock and Laws highlighted). For the first few months, Laws rode a wave of goodwill from the players for allowing them more freedom on the pitch.

As for the 'signings', I assume you're referring to the controversy surrounding the Jeffers purchase, but who else did Laws not buy? Was Laws not responsible at all for getting Potter, Clark, Gray, O'Connor, Johnson, Buxton, Purse, Miller, Esajas, Sodje and Hinds?

I don't think the poor performance of the team before Laws inherited it was reflective of the skill of the players. Sturrock's reign had stagnated, his methods were found wanting at a higher level and a malaise that had gripped the players was released as soon as Sturrock left (as the wins in-between Sturrock and Laws highlighted). For the first few months, Laws rode a wave of goodwill from the players for allowing them more freedom on the pitch.

As for the 'signings', I assume you're referring to the controversy surrounding the Jeffers purchase, but who else did Laws not buy? Was Laws not responsible at all for getting Potter, Clark, Gray, O'Connor, Johnson, Buxton, Purse, Miller, Esajas, Sodje and Hinds?

re the players you indicate, I have been told that at least 4 of the players listed were signed outside of the control of BL. You can probably work them out as they are 4 where we paid an upfront fee for a player with questionable attitude/ fitness.

The LS documents released into the public domain have much more on this.

This is just on what I have been told previously and I am not in a position to say whether this info is accurate or not