GOALS MISSED

Worth a thread I think in view of Fatty's pic (Missed Goal) and the late Chesterfield Winner (NOT) the other night.

Anyway Fatty sure you've since seen it. I think when people (Our Fans) leave early and miss something significant I get a strange sence of sattisfaction. The same too when the roar goes up in the first 4 or 5 minutes, People come rushing up the steps/entrances, but daft really, they kknow they've missed that early goal. I'm dead satisfied that we're winning but even more satisfied that for exactly the same price I have got something that the latecomers have missed. lol

What are your specific stories about the missing or missed goals ?

Just two tales from when I used to come with my Dad in the early 60's; May have both been in 61/62 season. The first, we arrived 5 minutes late onto the old South Stand terrace, 2-0 down to Chelsea and Jimmy Greaves. Need n't have worried level by half-time and went on to win 5-3.

The second time must have been later as the North was open and we went in there for a reserve game against Barnsley. I liked reserve games as it meant a half time Oxo. Dad was n't tight he just refused to engage in the bustle of getting hot drinks when big crowds were the order of the day. The game has changed a lot with reference to half-time these days. Then the kick Off was 3 no added time, 10 mins break at half -time, start second-half at 3-55 spot-on and the game would end bang on 4-40. So at reserve games my Dad would have enough time for toilet, collect 2 Oxo's and back to seats, just.

On this particular day though the entire first team had been dropped for some reason, the Reserves had been put on first team duty at Goodison and duly won 4-0. Dropping the entire first team put a few thousand on the Reserves gate and as a consequence it was going to take Dad a bit longer getting the refreshments in so he left his seat just before half time, as he got down the steps...Bang Bobby Craig made it Wednesday Reserves 7-0 Barnsley Reserves. I was still impatiently waiting for my Oxo when the teams re-emmerged. Dad was just making his way up the steps, back to goal when Wednesdays 8th sailed in. The game finished 14-0 to Wednesday, the following Tuesday was the Dougie McMillan testimonial where

British XI beat Sheffield XI 8-5 . So 27 goals in 4 days, not bad eh !

Regards

Guest ArbourOwl

Went to the Wednesday stockport game a good few years ago (5-0 win) and i missed every goal. I started with a bug the day before and but wasn't too bad on the friday and saturday morning. So picked my season ticket up and off i went. I only went to the toilet 4 times during the game but missed every goal and when i walked back up and saw it was 5 i turned round and walked back out......

I missed Carlton Palmers second and third against QPR going to get chips. Was the first and last time I've been for food and to the toilet during the game.

Also missed Clarke's goal at Ipswich a couple of years ago, only to find my car boxed

in anyway.

I never leave before the final whistle, other than the Ipswich game.

Guest STURROCKS KILT

The only time ive missed all the goals to a game was the dagenham game this season at hillsborough . I got in to the ground on 17 minutes and both goals had been scored before 15 minutes . I was gutted ..

post-6255-068779600 1286736329_thumb.jpg

Edited by STURROCKS KILT

Only goal I have missed was Mellors on Wednesday as I was weeing like a racehorse.

People next to me when I used to sit on the Kop used to leave every match on 85 minutes regardless of the score. Missed loads of goals including Crossleys v Saints.

Only ever missed one goal so far.

That was James O'Connors early goal v Blackpool last season.

We ended up having to get a late bus to the game which got us into Hillsborough bus station at around 7.40.

We were walking through Hillsborough park when we heard the crowd cheer.

Was a bit confusing when we got in and the scoreboard said they were winning 1-0, but when I saw how many fans they had brought I knew it was wrong.

We played derby at Hillsborough a few years ago. Can't remember which season. Anyway we were losing 1-0 and playing like poo .

A few of us decided to get off around 65 mins and head into town. Whilst walking through Hillsborough park we heard the crowd roar and we were gutted, we get to the tram stop and hear the roar again... I could have cried!!!

I will never leave early again, unless it's absolute neccessary!

Guest mrbluesky

Sterlands penalty in the fantastic 4-4 draw with Chelsea we left at 4-3 me n me dad got to near north stand penalty roar went up me n me dad ran up the stairs on north only to hear the crowd erupt and the players mobbing Zico!!.

ps Canoville ripped us a new a hole that night!!

Hartlepool away league one promotion season, had to leave a little later than we wanted as it was on a Friday night and I was still at school, got to Hartlepool, went to Mcdees then ran to the ground, got to ground about 2 mins after kick off, eventually got in 25-30 mins later and we were either 2 or 3 nil down.

When we beat pigs, missed Watsons awsome goal.

Really needed a wee wee, ran to the loo just as i was weeing i heard the roar. Got a text from a piggy mate asking if i enjoyed the goal (he knows how much i hated morgan and kenny), text him back saying i missed it, he replied 'morgan and kenny un-workable up, watson scored, morgan and kenny had an argument and both look like they was gonna cry'

It was a good day

I missed MacLean's penalty at Cardiff. I think that's the only time I've ever needed to go to the toilet during a match in my life, typical.

It was agony waiting to find out what the two massive cheers were (the red card and him scoring), it was impossible to tell what had happened and in which team's favour...

Guest intercity0wl

First and only time i have left early was at Hartlepol this season and missed Morrisons Goal at the death, somehow it didn,t bother me what with us well in front anyway, but reminded me why i never leave a game early.

Guest SecondWind

Missed the di canio push on Alcock, needed tail after pre match beers and didn't even know he'd been sent off until I saw it on MOTD. Didn't miss the brisco goal tho :)

We played derby at Hillsborough a few years ago. Can't remember which season. Anyway we were losing 1-0 and playing like poo .

A few of us decided to get off around 65 mins and head into town. Whilst walking through Hillsborough park we heard the crowd roar and we were gutted, we get to the tram stop and hear the roar again... I could have cried!!!

I will never leave early again, unless it's absolute neccessary!

ha ha must have been our 2-1 over Derby County tough titty no sympathy ! 65 mins FFS..............

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl

Worth a thread I think in view of Fatty's pic (Missed Goal) and the late Chesterfield Winner (NOT) the other night.

Anyway Fatty sure you've since seen it. I think when people (Our Fans) leave early and miss something significant I get a strange sence of sattisfaction. The same too when the roar goes up in the first 4 or 5 minutes, People come rushing up the steps/entrances, but daft really, they kknow they've missed that early goal. I'm dead satisfied that we're winning but even more satisfied that for exactly the same price I have got something that the latecomers have missed. lol

What are your specific stories about the missing or missed goals ?

I got a similar satisfaction v west brom last season, left after 20 mins and sat in a nice warm pub whilst you were probably still at the match. Then won a ton on brunt being last scorer.

Sterlands penalty in the fantastic 4-4 draw with Chelsea we left at 4-3 me n me dad got to near north stand penalty roar went up me n me dad ran up the stairs on north only to hear the crowd erupt and the players mobbing Zico!!.

ps Canoville ripped us a new a hole that night!!

I remember this match very well.

My first wife was expecting our first child and was in hospital with high blood pressure. I obviously had to go visit in the NGH.

Listened to the first half on RS and obviously we're 3-0 up at half-time!

Visiting ends at the start of the second half so I think "I can get the last half hour in".

Shot down Herries Road and got parked up suprisingly easily just as Chelsea scored.

Managed to get on Kop due to a friendly gateman. Met my Father (remember it was standing in those days!), just as Chelsea score their second.

The third and fourth go in and my dad says," it wer areyt till tha gor ear".

Sterland keeps his nerve and we have extra time without anything significant happening!

Edited by Ranchrat