Alan Irvine

Guest Ben Thomas

blamin laws for our impending relegation is like blamin thatcher for the state of our economy,utter testicles. irvine has had more than enough time to turn it around and hes failed miserably,he sets out every game home or away to get a point

Bit harsh, but I agree with you about his negative tactics.

If we draw 46 games in a season, chances are we would go down.

Boring, unattractive, negative and awful. That is how I would describe Irvine's reign so far - but, if he keeps us up then it's job done, so what do I know?

Lee was confident Alan would keep us up and had the squad and managerial persona to do so (see original interview).

So, if we are to be relegated, will Alan have failed ?

Will Lee have also have failed in his appointment ?

Not my opinions per se at present, but my staunch support is now wearing pretty thin with his inability to change a game / make telling tactical alterations

On the counter to this though, has he assembled the correct squad / players, whereby telling changes could actually be made ?

Still support him though and I still think it won't be his fault if we go down..... just, though !!

Lee was confident Alan would keep us up and had the squad and managerial persona to do so (see original interview).

Not my opinions per se at present, but my staunch support is now wearing pretty thin with his inability to change a game / make telling tactical alterations

On the counter to this though, has he assembled the correct squad / players, whereby telling changes could actually be made ?

Still support him though and I still think it won't be his fault if we go down..... just, though !!

If Irvine ultimately wasn't able to do the business (not this season, but in 6 months time) and gets the chop.

Would this bring into question Strafford's chairmanship?

Serious question and not meant as a dig at LS.

If Irvine ultimately wasn't able to do the business (not this season, but in 6 months time) and gets the chop.

Would this bring into question Strafford's chairmanship?

Serious question and not meant as a dig at LS.

If we go down then questions do have to be asked about Lee's Chairmanship.

Lee is the Chairman and is ultimately responsible for the business plan which said this season our target was X amount of season ticket sales and a play off push. Not only did we fail on both these counts, but we failed by a long shot.

The Chairman is responsible for ensuring the Manager is doing their job right. If we go down then it could be argued the Chairman failed in this regard.

Our current Chairman was also brought in to help secure investment, which if it doesn't happen soon will also be counted as a failure.

Lee has done a great deal of good for the club, of that there can be no doubt. However, if we go down then all that will be for nothing IMO.

I have serious reservations about a Chairman who is so out of touch with much of the fanbase and who presents targets that we never had a chance of achieving.

Edited by i used to be sc_owl

Lee is the Chairman and is ultimately responsible for the business plan which said this season our target was X amount of season ticket sales and a play off push. Not only did we fail on both these counts, but we failed by a long shot.

The Chairman is responsible for ensuring the Manager is doing their job right. If we go down then it could be argued the Chairman failed in this regard.

Our current Chairman was also brought in to help secure investment, which if it doesn't happen soon will also be counted as a failure.

Lee has done a great deal of good for the club, of that there can be no doubt. However, if we go down then all that will be for nothing IMO.

I have serious reservations about a Chairman who is so out of touch with much of the fanbase and who presents targets that we never had a chance of achieving.

you can knock that one on the head

Guest OwlertonG

There are still three games left,if hekeeps us up he'l be a ledgend but people are going on about how poor a manager he is. If we go down then fair enough but we're not down yet!!!

thats a very loose statement

If he keeps us up, then well done.. but if we go down, then he will have a full season to prove himself as a manager and mold a team around him with players he wants or wants to utlilises

What should the goals have been. You have to have to have something that people can strive for, not necessairyl something that can be achieved without any effort.

Why is he 'so out of touch'?

What should the goals have been. You have to have to have something that people can strive for, not necessairyl something that can be achieved without any effort.

People like to be part of something successful. Everyone, or at least the vast majority, knew that 16,500+ season tickets was optimistic at best. Unrealistic at worst. Setting the target of the play-offs was just bizarre.

The goal should have been consolidation.

I agree that we needed something to strive for, but it should have been to simply better last season.

As for being out of touch.... The targets set are an indication of that. The expectation that SWFC have thousands of stay away fans is another. The idea that our fanbase all care as much as the hardcore element is another indication of that.

People like to be part of something successful. Everyone, or at least the vast majority, knew that 16,500+ season tickets was optimistic at best. Unrealistic at worst. Setting the target of the play-offs was just bizarre.

The goal should have been consolidation.

I agree that we needed something to strive for, but it should have been to simply better last season.

As for being out of touch.... The targets set are an indication of that. The expectation that SWFC have thousands of stay away fans is another. The idea that our fanbase all care as much as the hardcore element is another indication of that.

But an organization has to set goals that create some excitement and motivate people to try and achieve them. Had LS said our aim is to finish 16th and sell 5000 season tocket, people would've just ignored him and called him unambitious.

I think the waters were muddied by the investment saga because you don't attract investors by being pessimistic but again, you have to try. If it doesn't work out then you move on.

We may have been better off this season using money on playing staff than toys like prozone.

But an organization has to set goals that create some excitement and motivate people to try and achieve them. Had LS said our aim is to finish 16th and sell 5000 season tocket, people would've just ignored him and called him unambitious.

I think the waters were muddied by the investment saga because you don't attract investors by being pessimistic but again, you have to try. If it doesn't work out then you move on.

We may have been better off this season using money on playing staff than toys like prozone.

Had Lee set a series of targets that ended in a promotion push I think people would have got behind that. But when people look at the first step and think it's not going to happen then they don't buy into the rest of the plan.

One of the most important parts of goal setting is acceptance on the part of the people aiming to achieve the target.

I agree with on prozone though.

Had Lee set a series of targets that ended in a promotion push I think people would have got behind that. But when people look at the first step and think it's not going to happen then they don't buy into the rest of the plan.

One of the most important parts of goal setting is acceptance on the part of the people aiming to achieve the target.

I agree with on prozone though.

A good business plan is one filled with identifying opportuntiies for a lot of small wins, little things that can be changed for the better. LS/NP have delivered on these things and this has got our off the field house in order. And this should please potential investors.

But, most people (fans) don't recognize these things. They only see what's on the pitch

Yet, after the first few games this season we weren't too far off a promotion push. We were mid-table until mid-October. So why weren't people buying in?

The BP goals were right, based on management's analysis of the numbers. Perhaps, though, this should all have remained in-house and not made public in the first place. Instead, as we agree, prozone etc should've been replaced by a player or 2 that would've peaked the fans' imagination (and scored some goals to get us up the table). This could've happened in the summer; it didn't andwe went into the season with a thread-bare squad, poor management, and players knowing they could get in the 1st eleven without much effort.

That's where we've failed this year.

A good business plan is one filled with identifying opportuntiies for a lot of small wins, little things that can be changed for the better. LS/NP have delivered on these things and this has got our off the field house in order. And this should please potential investors.

But, most people (fans) don't recognize these things. They only see what's on the pitch

Yet, after the first few games this season we weren't too far off a promotion push. We were mid-table until mid-October. So why weren't people buying in?

The BP goals were right, based on management's analysis of the numbers. Perhaps, though, this should all have remained in-house and not made public in the first place. Instead, as we agree, prozone etc should've been replaced by a player or 2 that would've peaked the fans' imagination (and scored some goals to get us up the table). This could've happened in the summer; it didn't andwe went into the season with a thread-bare squad, poor management, and players knowing they could get in the 1st eleven without much effort.

That's where we've failed this year.

Even if the BP had remained private - it still would have been a failure.

Either the plan was flawed or the people in charge of executing it have failed.

We only have as many fans as we have.

Take from Owlszone.co.uk

LS wrote:

"Football attendances at the vast majority of clubs are no longer success driven other than in the case of the elite clubs at the top of the premiership. Everyone else has moved on to its about being a club and all supporters being happy about the relationship with their club and success relative to the strength of their club is a bonus, until we do as well we will not progress."

This is his opinion, yet he states it like some sort of empirical fact.

I think its a load of gonads for what its worth.

Edited by SiJ

lets face it irvine got the gig cos he was out of work

Me thinks so.

Made that whole *interview* process look a complete fiasco, which would only be fitting of Sheffield Wednesday.

We feck about for a month trying to appoint a manager who embraces "modern football culture" and so on.

Then we end up appointing the guy who has been out of work for a week.

Me thinks so.

Made that whole *interview* process look a complete fiasco, which would only be fitting of Sheffield Wednesday.

We feck about for a month trying to appoint a manager who embraces "modern football culture" and so on.

Then we end up appointing the guy who has been out of work for a week.

Either that or we were just waiting for prozone to tell us what to do.