Alan Irvine

Guest Ben Thomas

re: negative football. i have a serious question. are you all saying it's negative because it's boring to watch? too defensive minded? don't create enough attacking opportunities?

the last couple of games we've had more opportunities but failed to make the most of them. surely that's down to poor attackers rather than negative tactics?

Lee was confident Alan would keep us up and had the squad and managerial persona to do so (see original interview).

So, if we are to be relegated, will Alan have failed ?

Will Lee have also have failed in his appointment ?

Not my opinions per se at present, but my staunch support is now wearing pretty thin with his inability to change a game / make telling tactical alterations

On the counter to this though, has he assembled the correct squad / players, whereby telling changes could actually be made ?

Still support him though and I still think it won't be his fault if we go down..... just, though !!

I disagree.

We made the mistake of keeping Turner in the same circumstances. If we go down Irvine should go. We should then give a 1 year contract to Paul Sturrock to get us back up.

Guest Stereophonics

If we'd have appointed Warnock we would be safe by now. I think that Irvine has done a decent job but not great. It's OK blaming Law's squad but that squad had it in them to play some decent football and finish in a good position last term.

If we'd have appointed Warnock we would be safe by now.

If only?

But people put their long term prejudices before the Club. He was available and would have come if only to stick it down the throats of United. He would not have dared to have failed or, let the players fail.

His previous threats to manage us and send us down? All good banter in my opinion and something that we need for ourselves at this time.

When Big Ron made his second coming a lot of the fans were aginst that too. Judas etc. Glad the club didn't listen to them, then.

Warnock - be realistic. It was never going to happen. Pity though because IMO we wouldn't be in this poo poo now.

Charisma plasters over a lot of things.

Look in the dictionary under 'charisma' - it just says; Ron Atkinson. End of.

Edited by ReadingOwl

Irvine had a mammoth task before he joined here. When it was spelt out for us that we needed 11 wins and a couple of draws after that bad run and 4 wins all season it was far from an easy task.

People are criticising him because of style of play and some dropped points recently, we could and shouldve been out of this by now. But AI has done well to even get us to this stage without being already relegated based upon our form prior to his arrival.

Irvine had a mammoth task before he joined here. When it was spelt out for us that we needed 11 wins and a couple of draws after that bad run and 4 wins all season it was far from an easy task.

People are criticising him because of style of play and some dropped points recently, we could and shouldve been out of this by now. But AI has done well to even get us to this stage without being already relegated based upon our form prior to his arrival.

He took over when third bottom with Plymouth and Peterborough below us and we remain 3rd bottom with Plymouth and Peterborough below us. How does this reflect him 'doing well'?

If we stay up - he will have done a good job.

If we go down - a very poor job.

We were hardly dead and buried when Irvine took the reins. All we needed to do was get better results than the three teams below us between then and the end of the season.

Put in that context it's hardly the Quest for the Golden Fleece, is it?

Ha!

Your having a laugh. Hardly dead and buried, we nearly were.

We could have mathematically made the play-offs as little as two weeks ago.

At the point of Irvine taking over we had many months and oppurtunities to turn things around, including the debacle at Glanford Park.

Ahhh wondered how long it would take for people to start pointing the finger at Irvine...

Those players are to blame...not Irvine

Laws and Irvine have had the same squad all season.

Considering we have three games to go it would be interesting to see who hast he best record at the end of the season.

Ha!

You look at the job Shreeves did - then we were dead and buried, Jewell was sacked when we were rock bottom of the league in the middle of February, Shreeves produced an outrageous run of form and kept us up.

Taffy Yorath - took over mid season and kept up a terrible team looking like relegation certs and got us to one game from a cup final.

Irvine has done nothing whatsoever compared to job these two did.

Ha!

Here, just for the record, is a snapshot of us "dead and buried" with a full 25 games (that's 75 points, not 7.5 Cardiff....) left to play for.

155582w.jpg

Thank flip we're no longer dead and buried eh....

:dry:

Edited by Wise_Owl

We were either bottom or 2nd bottom of this league, cut off from those above.

If anything, we should have got of Laws sooner.

After beating Blackpool, Irvine had us in the dizzy heights of 18th.

So having rescued us from being nearly 'dead and buried' within a handful of games of arriving, how has Irvine progressed since then?

I love the idea that Alan Irvine, or Brian Laws, or Lee Strafford, or the fans, or A N Player, or Dave Allen, or the debt, or this training regime or that entrance music, or something, one thing, and only one thing will 'send us down'.

I love the idea that all these things are entirely separate from each other, and have no effect on each other, and that we can pinpoint exactly who or what or when things went wrong and blame just them.

I love the idea that we can just divide time up into different periods and say they have no relation to each other and everything should be completely different between the two.

I love the idea that blaming someone is going to get us out of this mess, because it'll all make us feel so much better about things.

I love all that, because I love sticking my head in the sand.

The players have been changed

The manager has been been changed

The coaches and trainers have been changed

The physios have been changed

Even the chairman has been changed

The only thing that hasn't changed is the board.

That and the fact we remain hamstrung by our crippling debt.

:ohmy:

Edited by Wise_Owl

That and the fact we remain hamstrung by our crippling debt.

:ohmy:

Yeah the debt is a problem, but why is it crippling ?

We pay £500,000 to service it.

Granted, that 500k could be used on a solid championship player, but it is hardly holding us back to the extent of it being "crippling"

IIRC, the above sentiments are also echoed by our chairman