Alan Irvine

Guest Ben Thomas

Guest Ben Thomas

No way can we judge him yet.

This crop of players are a product of the Laws regime,wait until the summer when contracts are up and we have a major clear out.

Irvine will then be able to create his own squad with his own players and only then will it be clear whether he is the right man for us.

Laws' last 13 games :

W2 D3 L8 F9 A23 PTS9

Irvine's last 13 games :

W2 D5 L6 F8 A16 PTS11

Not really an enormous difference is there?

Conceded a slightly fewer and lost less under Irvine, but it's hardly a huge difference.

I do believe, though, that had we kept with Laws for any longer we would already be down by now.

Conceded a slightly fewer and lost less under Irvine, but it's hardly a huge difference.

I do believe, though, that had we kept with Laws for any longer we would already be down by now.

Probably right. I agree.

But, with hindsight, hasn't it been a case of jumping out of the fire into a slightly smaller frying pan, only.

Tactically, it has hardly been a 'new broom' has it?

Probably right. I agree.

But, with hindsight, hasn't it been a case of jumping out of the fire into a slightly smaller frying pan, only.

So what are we saying then, BL and AI are both poor managers (and are sometimes average on a good day), or that the playing squad is rotten to the core and no manager could do well with them?

Probably right. I agree.

I think Alan Irvine is a better manager than BL. I think what has become evident is that our players are, by and large, not good enough and/or not committed enough. There's only so much a manager can do about that.

So what are we saying then, BL and AI are both poor managers (and are sometimes average on a good day), or that the playing squad is rotten to the core and no manager could do well with them?

All the above with the exception that 'no manager' could have avoided our fate.

After his initial honeymoon, I can't honestly say that AI has filled (or is filling me) with optimism. His teams play with no urgency or passion. Don't concede and hope for a lucky goal.

I think you all know, who I think, could have done it. He was available, affordable and would have come. But for prejudical reasons we would never have had him.

We needed someone with charisma - that plasters over a lot of the poo poo.

When Big Ron came back for the second time I would estimate my son was approximately seven. I took him to his comeback game - Arsenal, we won (2-0 from memory).

My son spent the whole game watching Big Ron in the dugout. That's charisma.

And we stayed up.

Isn't it possible that after a couple of years of overachievement we've reverted to our "true" level of performance?

We have a borderline relegation budget, and it was only a matter of time before our lack of resources came home to roost.

Uncle Dave once put a reassuring hand on our collective shoulder, asserting that nobody was worried about the debt, but long after his empty assurances have been forgotten by most of us, it continues to be the elephant in the ointment at this football club.

Edited by Wise_Owl

What if no manager we could realistically afford (or to whom we could offer a budget they felt worth risking their reputation for) could have done much better?

How long do we keep on with our costly policy of hiring and firing managers?

Edited by Wise_Owl

True, but how do you attract the right one with the wrong budget?

Look, I am going to get hammered for this.

If we had appointed Warnock, when he made it perfectly clear post the Palace Cup game defeat, that he was willing to come, do you think we would be in this poo poo now? Even with these players?

I don't.

Look, I am going to get hammered for this.

If we had appointed Warnock, when he made it perfectly clear post the Palace Cup game defeat, that he was willing to come, do you think we would be in this poo poo now? Even with these players?

I don't.

I agree with you in theory mate. I always wished he'd been our manager instead of United's, someone who wee wees off every other club and instills a siege mentality.

But he can never be hired by us for the reason that he spent so long with the pigs and is quoted as saying that if he ever managed us he would intentionally relegate us.

I agree with you in theory mate. I always wished he'd been our manager instead of United's, someone who wee wees off every other club and instills a siege mentality.

But he can never be hired by us for the reason that he spent so long with the pigs and is quoted as saying that if he ever managed us he would intentionally relegate us.

I agree, being realistic. It was never going to happen for obvious reasons.

It just wee wees me off that's all.