Why investment is more important than just clearing the debts

Guest Ripley Owl

I actually think that IF the shares were held mainly by one person and not spread out so much that we'd of had a takeover by now. I think that is the major stumbling block as there has been less attractive clubs being taken over who have had similar or more debt. Take Coventry we have far more potential and history and they had £30m? Debt and are now debt free and looking a very stable club.

If we get the investment and these guys get 83% of the shares as we are told it will make it far easier and a lot less complicated next time round !

There are numerous ways of looking at it, all of which are fair and valid.

I would love us to be a success, but I would still support us in the conference - that's just the way it is! Yes, I've been to Wembley and the Derbies etc, but I've also been Carlisle and Stockport away for example, it's not that I'm a glory hunter, I just don't have the belief in the club after years of neglect.

I'm not sugesting you're a glory hunter mate. People have different levels of interest in football in general, we're not all

die hard footy obssessed fans. Its the part I've highlighted above I have the problem with. LS & NP have been in

charge 15 months or so. They are not resposable for the years of neglect. They're asking supporters to invest in them

& thier plans. If you'd be happy with success but are content with the way things are then thats OK, the rallying crys etc

are aimed at the people that are unhappy with the way things are but want to sit back and let someone else do

somthing about it.

Guest Ripley Owl

Without that line my first question would be how are we going to afford this? I reckon it would have been the world cup comittees first question too. Maybe it is imminent. Then again, maybe its not. I reckon it was there to show what could be achieved and how. Unfortunately, it seems it was baseless and got peoples hopes up.

Without some kind of investment we are destined to season after season like this one. We need to either cut costs and divert the savings into the team or generate more cash per supporter. I'm sure Lee would appreciate suggestions cos I'm fooked if I can see how we're gonna do anything that will have a serious impact at the moment.

There will be a gradual improvement under Lee Strafford without investment , if we can just avoid relegation and let Alan Irvine get to work over the summer things will look an awful lot brighter next season. Fingers crossed !

Its all down to personal perspective. To be honest, I don't care if we're playing in league one or the premiership; I enjoy going to games - when I have the money to buy a season ticket, I'll get one. However I'm not going to live uncomfortably as a student because every other week I pay to go home and I've spent hundreds on a ST. What you're basically saying is if Wednesday were good you'd go and watch them; don't blame LS for your own passion not being there. Don't worry about it either, you shouldnt have to feel like you're buying a season ticket to help your club - you should do it because you want to go to games and you enjoy it.

don't blame LS for your own passion not being there.

I don't blame LS, he's just the unfortunate soul charged with re-instilling it (and not just with me, but the thousands like me he believes are out there).

This post was not a finger pointing exercise just the view of one of missing fans.

I don't blame LS, he's just the unfortunate soul charged with re-instilling it (and not just with me, but the thousands like me he believes are out there).

This post was not a finger pointing exercise just the view of one of missing fans.

Fair enough. But with any club, especially those who have seen better times, fans lose interest. You're one of those people. I don't think we're different to any other club - if we started doing well more people would attend. Tbh I don't really see your point; you either want to go to games or not - I'm not sure how LS can re-instal your passion, surely only the team can actually do that.

Tbh I don't really see your point; you either want to go to games or not - I'm not sure how LS can re-instal your passion, surely only the team can actually do that.

My original point was regarding investment and the 'call to arms' from LS. Too much has gone on for me (and possibly a lot of others) to consider buying a season ticket - it's not LS' fault, but he is the one who has taken on the task of putting Wednesday back where they (potentially) belong. My belief is it will require a massive thing like investment to do that. The combination of poor football, years of neglect and dishonesty will not be undone by the 'call to arms' speech, IMO it would take something bigger, such as a play-off run (highly improbable) or the secured investment once and for all - promises (!) fulfilled and all that.

I know what LS is trying to achieve and I wish him the best, but it's one big chicken/egg scenario, and until we get the golden egg, I just don't see the chickens returning home to roost!

(Apologies for the crap analogy)

We had some of our best away days in League One and funnily enough my passion for Wednesday simply increased despite the drop in quality and success.

I have to say I agree with that sentiment....

Bristol City, Chezzy and last minute Bournemouth spring to mind !!

Some gems ......

Guest edforceowl

Its not Straffords fault though.

LS has created a platform for the football budget to be increased. The players havent performed and lived up to the mantra of moving forwards. If anything theyve gone in the opposite direction.

When they arent performing you get a feeling that the club is wanting you to give your time and money with very little coming back in return. But thats not the Chairmans fault, he must be pulling his hair out at the performances that undermine what he is trying to achieve.

Lee hasn't really got much hair to pull out................

Then it was an utterly irresponsible thing to include in the presentation.

Arthur

I find it incredibly frustrating that you are still pecking away at our living torso over this.

The preso was created for the ENGLAND 2018 bid team.

It was shared as part of a consultation process on our planning application. Everyone who attended this was told that this is a presentation we gave to the ENGLAND 2018 bid team relating to that process.

The presentation was made by John Rutherford (stadium operations manager), not Nick or I, i.e. not someone that can be considered as a senior club official who holds a mandate to speak on investment.

Everyone who attended the presentation was told that this was closed audience and journalists were denied the opportunity to report on proceedings.

John being John did not realise the potential sensitivity of the audiences reaction to the imminent word.

The "imminent" word was picked up on, circulated round the forums and immediately dealt with by me at the time.

I find it immensely frustrating that you, someone who has huge experience in this community and as a Wednesdayite is still as I say pecking away at us on this.

You do realise that this behaviour just de-motivates us instead of inspiring us all to come together for the benefit of our club?

All we have ever done is be transparent in contrast to lies and misinformation and completely non-credible messages that came beofre, there comes a time when all our fellow grown up mature Wednesdayite's have to take responsibility as individuals and accept that being told what is happening and being told what we are trying to do does not constitute a promise or commitment or guarantee, and indeed that the behaviour that Nick & I have engaged in should be respected for the honesty and integrity that is inherent in said behaviour.............

That is of course if you actually want that approach to continue.

Regards

Lee

Arthur

I find it incredibly frustrating that you are still pecking away at our living torso over this.

It was shared as part of a consultation process on our planning application. Everyone who attended this was told that this is a presentation we gave to the ENGLAND 2018 bid team relating to that process.

The presentation was made by John Rutherford (stadium operations manager), not Nick or I, i.e. not someone that can be considered as a senior club official who holds a mandate to speak on investment.

Everyone who attended the presentation was told that this was closed audience and journalists were denied the opportunity to report on proceedings.

John being John did not realise the potential sensitivity of the audiences reaction to the imminent word.

The "imminent" word was picked up on, circulated round the forums and immediately dealt with by me at the time.

I find it immensely frustrating that you, someone who has huge experience in this community and as a Wednesdayite is still as I say pecking away at us on this.

You do realise that this behaviour just de-motivates us instead of inspiring us all to come together for the benefit of our club?

All we have ever done is be transparent in contrast to lies and misinformation and completely non-credible messages that came beofre, there comes a time when all our fellow grown up mature Wednesdayite's have to take responsibility as individuals and accept that being told what is happening and being told what we are trying to do does not constitute a promise or commitment or guarantee, and indeed that the behaviour that Nick & I have engaged in should be respected for the honesty and integrity that is inherent in said behaviour.............

Regards

Lee

Seems so amazing that a minority have such an impact on trying to undermine all you guys are doing weve moved on time they did good luck u t o.

Arthur

Regards

Lee

It is easy to think of it as some veiled attack but I stand by the fact that such partizan language that was distributed led to a sort of hysteria (it is also worth mentioning that this was soon after the Geoff Sheard saga)

Rather than from the media it was from the club at an official level and to be fair you were in the room at the time - this only heightened my optimism after months of crap regarding a fakeover. I still see it as being irresponsible considering how delicate investment talks must have been over the past six months.

It seems most of the club operations have been run (including season ticket policy) under the assumption we are getting investment when the time is approaching fast that we may be on a further downward spiral. I wish investment had never been mentioned...it is fast becoming a dirty word.

It is easy to think of it as some veiled attack but I stand by the fact that such partizan language that was distributed led to a sort of hysteria (it is also worth mentioning that this was soon after the Geoff Sheard saga)

Rather than from the media it was from the club at an official level and to be fair you were in the room at the time - this only heightened my optimism after months of crap regarding a fakeover. I still see it as being irresponsible considering how delicate investment talks must have been over the past six months.

It seems most of the club operations have been run (including season ticket policy) under the assumption we are getting investment when the time is approaching fast that we may be on a further downward spiral. I wish investment had never been mentioned...it is fast becoming a dirty word.

I think its fair comment to say very few fans now believe investment will happen (imminent or otherwise).

I am sure lots have effort and man hours have gone into trying to get us to where we want to be but what ever LS and Co says we are not a viable, attractive investment.

I am one of the fans who have constantly tried to be positive, bought my season tickets on the back of potential improvements, bought next years season ticket on the back of potential investment and convinced numerous friends to renew theirs but its plain to see we arent going to get investment because fans just wont flood back because we are woefully poor on the pitch.

As an example (and this will be painful) hand on heart how many or our current squad would you replace with Utds equivalent?

I think there are only a couple of our squad who are even nearly good enough.

The one ***** of light I am clinging onto is that come the end of the season we can offload some of our dross and JI can invest in some players with passion and heart.

That may then bring the fans back if we manage to cling onto our Championship status.

I think its fair comment to say very few fans now believe investment will happen (imminent or otherwise).

and this for me has been the only failing of Lee since he has been here.

He should not have kept stringing us on with claims of smell the money, sorted in a couple of weeks etc etc

He should have mentioned we were looking for investment and left it at that.

It is better not to hear, than to constantly hear it is near, just to be let down again (we've had all that in the past)

Most of the fans around me on matchdays, who have no idea about all the good he has done for the club, solely judge him, wrongly might I add, on this one action.

and this for me has been the only failing of Lee since he has been here.

He should not have kept stringing us on with claims of smell the money, sorted in a couple of weeks etc etc

He should have mentioned we were looking for investment and left it at that.

It is better not to hear, than to constantly hear it is near, just to be let down again (we've had all that in the past)

Most of the fans around me on matchdays, who have no idea about all the good he has done for the club, solely judge him, wrongly might I add, on this one action.

but you put them right ....right? :cool::biggrin: