Will we ever be back?

I'm starting to think perhaps not.

During the 70's it seemed most Wednesdayites were sure of a return to the glory days sooner or later - and in the end it happened., but can we really see Wednesday getting out the rut we're in now?

It took us 14 years to get back to the top flight from relegation in 1970 and we're into our 11th year since our last relegation.

Unfortunately, unlike back then, turning up in our masses just won't make a difference, you need BIG money that fans can't provide to be able to compete, and being £28m in debt means we are waaaaaay down the list of desirable investment propositions - therefore we're stuck in a rut.

I'm 24 and I can barely remember the Premier League days, anyone my age and younger will only have seen poo at Hillsborough, and but for the dads bringing their young un's up as Owls, the kids of today aren't interested anymore. At least if you were there in the 70's you ended up with the 80's and 90's, whereas what have we got to look forwarfd to?

The attendance yesterday was pitiful. 21k, with 2k from Ipswich and 14k ST holders means that only 5k Wednesdayites paid to watch yesterday - with a Kids for a Quid offer on. I fear that the anger, passion and a downright feeling of injustice of the last few years is being replaced by sheer apathy - people have just come to accept that we are where we are, and there's no way out. I would be amazed if we sold anywhere near 500 new ST's for next season, and i'd be more amazed if less than 500 existing ST holders renewed (obviously meaning we won't sell anywhere near this seasons final tally - never mind what LS wants for next season - 17k)

I really fear that the patience of the fans over this last decade will have been for nothing, the belief that the good times would return is waning and fast.

Sorry to sound so depressing, but how the fudge do we get out of this mess?

Edited by KivoOwl

Lets face it though.

We only pay £500k interest on £27m+ debt.

Its not like its a huge drain on resources at the moment.

What I think is most worrying is the turnover gap between SWFC and LUFC. They are growing money whilst we can't find a penny. Go on their website, look at their commercial activities. Ours are improving but its taking a long time. Maybe it's time to adapt the 'Bates model'.

'Bates Model' would for us be;

Closing Grandstand.

Raising advertising prices.

Raising ST Prices or changing the ground model so prices are much more diverse.

Raising matchday prices

Looking at more business oppertunities. (We need the North Stand phase of the ground development built).

The days when we could play at the likes of old trafford and at arsenal and have an half chance of getting a result are well and truly over.

we have a chance of maybe sometime getting back in the premier league but with a monopoly of the money going to the big clubs,cant ever see us competing at the highest level again.

i am fortunate to have seen us win 7-2 at old trafford,beat the likes of Roma and play second fiddle(just) to the great tottenham side of 60/61.

Just cant see how we can be up there again under the circumstances.

Didn't you post something like this last month after a bad defeat, and one the month before that, and before that etc?

Is it just a copy and paste job from your already published collection? :rolleyes:

To answer you though, the only way we'll get out is with patience, and belief that the people running the club are doing it for the good of us now. It make take a while, but being a Wednesday fan isn't about taking the easy route. We'll get there, maybe not for a long time, but we will.

I don't think im sherlock at all.

Its fairly obvious why were not moving forward.

Revenue is low, Leeds have at least double ours.

What are they doing we aren't?

they have that man of integety called bates.

if leeds had tried like us to do things the 'proper way',they would still be in the doldrums up to their eyeballs in debt.

'Bates Model' would for us be;

Closing Grandstand.

Raising advertising prices.

Raising ST Prices or changing the ground model so prices are much more diverse.

Raising matchday prices

Looking at more business oppertunities. (We need the North Stand phase of the ground development built).

And imagine if he'd have done that here. It wouldnt have worked. Grandstand gowers would complain there hearts out - people complain now at the cost of our tickets; despite the fact they are low. We're a very demanding bunch - its one of our downfalls. Didnt Lee attempt to shut the grandstand to great annoyance?

Guest domSWFC

We will be back, it may take time though. Lee Strafford is great at selling us bullsh!t, so surely he can convince Man City to buy Tudgay for £30m .... But been serious, i doubt we will get to the premiership again, unless Irvine can find a few really decent players for next to nothing.

UTO

We will be back, it may take time though. Lee Strafford is great at selling us bullsh!t, so surely he can convince Man City to buy Tudgay for £30m .... But been serious, i doubt we will get to the premiership again, unless Irvine can find a few really decent players for next to nothing.

UTO

I feel not in my lifetime, hey atlease I got to see some triumph!!!!