On this day in 1878 The Wednesday FC made history !

By participating  in the World's first ever Floodlit Football match held between 2 representative Sheffield FC teams ( Blues vs Reds ) and a good half of the players were Wednesday men - so if that is anyone's history it is ours!

14-10-1878_zps176956f3.jpg

15101878YP_zps94fed45d.jpg

elecLight15-10-14_zps5b169af7.jpg

HantsTel16-10_zps5a02f875.jpg

Edited by dunsbyowl

I would have thought 6d was a lot to pay then, but there were apparently 30,000!

Did they play the long ball game?

No midfielders (or maybe half backs)?

I think the official and anticipated attendance was much less - thousands climbed over the fences!

What's this "Brammall" business - is that how they used to spell it?

The floodlight looks very scary, too. Did they just have a giant searchlight they nicked off a navy ship and did they have some guy operating it who had to follow the action around to illuminate it with the beam? If so, bring it back, I say. Anything to add a hint of theatrical glamour to an otherwise dull and cold spectacle.

Guest minsk owl

What's this "Brammall" business - is that how they used to spell it?

The floodlight looks very scary, too. Did they just have a giant searchlight they nicked off a navy ship and did they have some guy operating it who had to follow the action around to illuminate it with the beam? If so, bring it back, I say. Anything to add a hint of theatrical glamour to an otherwise dull and cold spectacle.

The giant searchlight was fine until a few years ago,..... but it gave up the ghost due to continual on and off switching while Brown and Morgan were playing

Not trying to steel anybodies thunder here, but an OT poster (forgot who mind) a few months ago said "Older, Bigger, Better"...

Now that would make a great T-shirt with the additional suffix.. "Since 1867"!

Come on you photoshop guys.. do it!

On a similar theme, bought this window sticker from the program shop on Leppings Lane:

post-35379-0-55222200-1444551845.jpg