MELLORS DAD

Mentioned in another topic about what Neil Mellors dad Ian did for the Owls especially two goals he scored. The first in the Boxing Day massacre and the one at Blackburn that went a long way to securing promotion from the Third Division. Cannot find the Blackburn goal but check out the quality of the one against the Blades, its 34 seconds in.

Lets hope Neil can achieve the same for us

Mentioned in another topic about what Neil Mellors dad Ian did for the Owls especially two goals he scored. The first in the Boxing Day massacre and the one at Blackburn that went a long way to securing promotion from the Third Division. Cannot find the Blackburn goal but check out the quality of the one against the Blades, its 34 seconds in.

Kop looks flippingawesome there

I'd love to know how many of us were at Blackburn, it semmed like we filled three sides of the ground. The atmosphere was unbelievable.

did i mention i've still got the radio sheff commentary on cassette ???? awesome night,awesome fans ... lancastrian scubbers didn't know what hit 'em!!!

Guest sheridan's2penalties

How flipping good does the kop look in that vid?

I know it's been said before but it's such a shame no one will ever see those sights again :angry:

Edited by sheridan's2penalties

did i mention i've still got the radio sheff commentary on cassette ???? awesome night,awesome fans ... lancastrian scubbers didn't know what hit 'em!!!

Yes you did and I asked what are the chances of getting them uploaded somwhere so we can relive the magic.

Who scored Wednesday's other goal at Blackburn? Something in my head tells me it was Ticker Taylor.

You are right it was but Blackburn had scored first through Noel Brotherston who had the wierdest hair.

I had the good fortune to be part of a team with Ian Mellor. The manager of Parramore Sports brought Mellor in to get us really fit, it didn't half hurt. :laugh: At the end of every season Parramore's had a presentation weekend away at Blackpool, we also played a friendly match whilst we were there. This particular year, Ian Mellor guested for us, he must have been around 40 at the time, not only did he play, he stood out a mile, he was head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch, to top it all he scored a worldy similar to the one he got in the boxing day massacre, from outside the area wide on the left, he let fly, but unlike the boxing day goal, this was with his more natural left foot. It was so good, even Uraguayan linesmen would have seen it.

Ian Mellor is a really nice bloke too.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

I was on it

I was as well , With my blue and white quartered flat cap on :blush:

I'd love to know how many of us were at Blackburn, it semmed like we filled three sides of the ground. The atmosphere was unbelievable.

We headed to a village called Mellor on the way back from the game .

Guest tyler66

Any chance of copying it into MP3 and then posting it

One of the best away matches I have ever been to if not the best (although Exeter last match was something)

Ian Mellors goals will live with me till i die one of the few games i can remember and he will always be one of my top 20 players for us

Ian Mellor is a Wednesday legend,,,,,That goal alone makes him one,,,,,,,one of the best days of my Wednesday supporting life,,,i was on the Kop too that day,,,dint it look awesome,,,,,i wish we could get rid of the seats and bring them times back,

Heres hoping Neil can help bring the good times back to S6,,

You are right it was but Blackburn had scored first through Noel Brotherston who had the wierdest hair.

I recall the picture of Mellor scoring. His leg was very as he side footed the ball into the net. Anybody remember the home made banner, "Division Two are calling you"? The Stars Photographer as well as Wednesday's was a Steve Ellis who used to take the fabulous shots.

Noel Brotherston was a significant dangerman man for then but looked laughable with his comb over hair style. You'd think one of his teams would have said, "C'mon Noel, it's not working"

brotherston_100x102.png?w=100&h=102

Just read on wiki,

'He was a fans' favourite at Blackburn and became a painter and decorator in the town when he retired as a player, but died of a heart attack aged just 38'.

Quite sad really. RIP

Edited by M Royds

I was at both games too - nuff said about Boxing Day (although there can neer be enough said about that game!!)

Main memory from Blackburn away was that we had (all but?) grabbed promotion and it took two Owls fans ages to get out of the ground (we were on the uncovered side terrace) - we must have had 20 mins of "Singing the Blues" - ace night