On this day in 1951 - He'll Dooley alright at Hillsboro

A young lad called Derek Dolley got a second chance and scored his first ever 2 goals in a 2-1 victory vs Barnsley at Hillsborough.

Clips from the Green Un that day!

Also came across this quote by Football journalist Brian Glanville - sounds like someone we all know except that the booing come from the home fans ! ;-)

"Brian Glanville the football journalist, had doubts about Dooley's ability to make it in the First Division. "His style did not appeal to everyone, and he was frequently booed when Wednesday played away from home. With his bulk, his huge feet, his ungainly movement, abrasive approach to the game and his perpetual harassing of goalkeepers, Dooley was always a controversial figure." "

Green%20Un_zpsksy1xlam.jpg

barns%2051_zpsfnwqanif.jpg

Dooley%20vs%20Barns%2051_zpsywcgfuxe.jpg

barnsley%201951_zpsxmswtaci.jpg

Just a little story from those days. In the times before you had no idea what the score was till Sports Report on the radio at 6.

So it must be early 50s. I used to wait for my dad to come home from the match. We lived at Totley so a bit of a trek on the bus, but if he got a lift from the bloke that had one one of the 3 cars on our road he'd get back early.

Me and mum would wait at the door and say ' how've they gone on? ' ( Al Read style, for those of you old enough )

Dad would then give mum a kiss for every goal Wednesday had scored then pause and give the opposites goals. I'm sorry, if that's too soppy for some people but this was a fortnightly ritual and something I can never forget.

When Dooley was playing it seemed like the kissing would never stop. Much to the young ibbo's embarassment.

I'd then get a full description of the match and Dad would rave about Dooley and this young lad Quixall. It did seem that a lot of Derek's goals came from him smashing goalie, centre half and ball into the net but in those days it was all perfectly acceptable.

Incidentally 52,000 to see Rotherham at Hillsboro in 1951? Crazy

In fact, it was Dooley's third (and probably final) chance....he made his debut at home to Preston in March 1950 and then was given a second outing at Charlton the following January but was hopeless both times. So he was made available for a small fee.....but nobody wanted him. It was only because of injuries and the fact that everyone else had been tried, but had failed, in the no 9 shirt that he was given a chance.

I remember some years later when he was running the Development Fund and he had a little office on stilts at the back of the South Stand. On this occasion I'd gone to the match with my dad (we had season tickets in the North through much of the 60's) but we were very early....probably to pick up our seasons I would imagine. Anyhow, my dad pointed up to this guy in the office.....he was sitting at his desk smoking a pipe and he had vivid ginger hair. My dad just gripped my arm and said "that's Dooley".... It really shocked me cos my dad was pretty unemotional even when it came to football but there was this real quaver in his voice; it was like being in the presence of greatness which for him of course it was. That picture I have is just so vivid even 50 years later!

Just a little story from those days. In the times before you had no idea what the score was till Sports Report on the radio at 6.

So it must be early 50s. I used to wait for my dad to come home from the match. We lived at Totley so a bit of a trek on the bus, but if he got a lift from the bloke that had one one of the 3 cars on our road he'd get back early.

Me and mum would wait at the door and say ' how've they gone on? ' ( Al Read style, for those of you old enough )

Dad would then give mum a kiss for every goal Wednesday had scored then pause and give the opposites goals. I'm sorry, if that's too soppy for some people but this was a fortnightly ritual and something I can never forget.

When Dooley was playing it seemed like the kissing would never stop. Much to the young ibbo's embarassment.

I'd then get a full description of the match and Dad would rave about Dooley and this young lad Quixall. It did seem that a lot of Derek's goals came from him smashing goalie, centre half and ball into the net but in those days it was all perfectly acceptable.

Lovely to hear this ritual.

Me and the wife had the same routine last season.

Our relationship basically became platonic.