David Hirst AFTER the Steve Bould tackle

Just been watching the 1992/93 season review and of course that was the year when Steve Bould did that disgusting tackle on Hirst which changed his career in many ways.

I didn't start going to the games till 1998 so I just missed out on watching David Hirst but I was wondering was David Hirst a different player after the incident, had he lost any pace or sharpness or anything like that? because I know a fair few people have said that he was a lot more injury prone after that tackle

Did he also get anymore England call ups after that tackle as well?

Guest ka58

No more England caps. Weight fluctuated a bit for a couple of seasons.

Still scored goals that season but the next two seasons were really bad for him.probably played 20 games n scored 5 goals during the whole time. Never really the same.

He actually recovered ok from that tackle but tore a thigh muscle away at Ipswich in the cup and that was what screwed him most of 92 93

Just been watching the 1992/93 season review and of course that was the year when Steve Bould did that disgusting tackle on Hirst which changed his career in many ways.

I didn't start going to the games till 1998 so I just missed out on watching David Hirst but I was wondering was David Hirst a different player after the incident, had he lost any pace or sharpness or anything like that? because I know a fair few people have said that he was a lot more injury prone after that tackle

Did he also get anymore England call ups after that tackle as well?

My old man has spoken to Hirsty a few times and he has stated that he will never ever forgive Bould for the injury to his ankle again. He was never the same player after that horrendous tackle!

Was never the same after Bould did him - for me that was the real begining of our decline, we always seemed to be waiting for him to get fully fit again. Warhurst was a temp replacement but then we signed Darko Kovechevic, Giles De-build and the lanky chap (what is name) all of em forgetable.

Noted that Bould has just been appointed assistant coach at Arsenal, I'd say watch out for your acillies if you are a premier league striker next season.

He was never the same again, and I've had a hate of Steve Bould and anything Arsenal has done ever since. Reckon it was the speed that went that made the big difference.

He was more injury prone after that, which is common after a major injury, and as he got older was never as sharp as before.

Can still picture that tackle, lucky the injury wasn't even worse like Knight and Nolan. Did well not to fast forward that bit!

Was never the same after Bould did him - for me that was the real begining of our decline,

Noted that Bould has just been appointed assistant coach at Arsenal, I'd say watch out for your acillies if you are a premier league striker next season.

He was never the same again, and I've had a hate of Steve Bould and anything Arsenal has done ever since. Reckon it was the speed that went that made the big difference.

About right, I think

He was more injury prone after that, which is common after a major injury, and as he got older was never as sharp as before.

Can still picture that tackle, lucky the injury wasn't even worse like Knight and Nolan. Did well not to fast forward that bit!

Yeah but tbh if I did then I would have missed his scissor kick (with a broken ankle) which was £ucking quality

He lost some pace and some agility, this really backs this up that he really did have a bit of everything. He still kept his strength and eye for goal though. I remember the 1995/96 season was the closest we ever got to seeing anything like the old David Hirst but he was still a good Premiership striker after that tackle, its just before he was a world beater and arguably England's biggest potential upfront.

Was never the same after Bould did him - for me that was the real begining of our decline, we always seemed to be waiting for him to get fully fit again. Warhurst was a temp replacement but then we signed Darko Kovechevic, Giles De-build and the lanky chap (what is name) all of em forgetable.

Petr Rudi?

Guest AnotherOwl

What a sight to behold David Hirst bearing down on goal. Thanks for the memory's David

Absolutely. I don't have the best of visual memories, but I will never forget standing on the kop and watching Hirst charge down on the goal like a raging bull, and smash another one in, with his left or right. It really was absolutely thrilling to watch, I feel privileged to have seen it.

bould's tackle was sickening (the little sh*t), but Hirst still had a great career to be proud of.

Guest pwilkysowls

What a sight to behold David Hirst bearing down on goal. Thanks for the memory's David

without doubt my favourite player of all time a true legend the like we will never see again thank goodness i am old enough to have seen him at his best so much better than the likes of rooney

My old man has spoken to Hirsty a few times and he has stated that he will never ever forgive Bould for the injury to his ankle again. He was never the same player after that horrendous tackle!

thats not how he feels at all, he is quite humble about it and says he feels he carried on for a number of years after and it wasnt that bad, i tend to agree with you and think he was never quite the same and it was a shocking tackle, at the time he was rated higher than shearer and was THE man.

I just missed out on watching David Hirst

People who never saw DEH missed the greatest wednesday striker in decades.

Hard to believe that we have fans that didn't see the fella - but then I just remember how long ago it was. Thankfully I saw him from the beginning and at his peak (still think that is 90/91). What a player.

Would have been an England great that's for sure