The North Stand

Design life of a structure (unless highways/infrastructure/landmark) was 60 years at the time the north stand was built. So basically it’s at the end of its intended design life and likely due for substantial refurbishment. Hopefully not a major surprise for anyone that owns/operates such a facility…

• Thanks 1

From looking at the 2023 ground safety certificate, one of the inspections and tests that they have had to do this year to comply, is for a, and I quote, "Comprehensive reinspection of North Stand roof rate of corrosion as per Eastwood and Partners recommendation of May / July 2023" 

That ties in with what people have said about it being the roof. 

Structurally, nothing other than the roof is mentioned on the North Stand and the next structural survey is due 2027-2031.  The last survey was 2021, which I presume found the roof issues. 

There are comments about the upper concourse access ramps being non compliant due to the gradient and a couple of other things, to which SAG have commented that no issues have ever been recorded. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grants Left Boot said:

From looking at the 2023 ground safety certificate, one of the inspections and tests that they have had to do this year to comply, is for a, and I quote, "Comprehensive reinspection of North Stand roof rate of corrosion as per Eastwood and Partners recommendation of May / July 2023" 

That ties in with what people have said about it being the roof. 

Structurally, nothing other than the roof is mentioned on the North Stand and the next structural survey is due 2027-2031.  The last survey was 2021, which I presume found the roof issues. 

There are comments about the upper concourse access ramps being non compliant due to the gradient and a couple of other things, to which SAG have commented that no issues have ever been recorded. 

Where is that available for public viewing out of interest?

On 09/04/2024 at 13:24, Grants Left Boot said:

I can't comment on structural issues but can when it comes to stuff such as disability discrimination act /equalities act and old buildings/venues.

Basically, they don't have to comply, only best endeavours need to be made to try to make them modern day (building regulations) compliant.  Otherwise, many ancient structures and buildings would have long since become redundant.

It's very different when constructing something new or extending an existing venue/building.

• Like 1