Striker competition

Think it's clear we are reliant on Ugbo and Poveda. I like Musaba and Gassama and both have shown good spells just not as consistently effective. Think we could beat many teams without Poveda, but not sure about our striker backups if anything happens to Ugbo.

Smith- looks short of confidence and a shadow of last years 20 goal man. Not sure if it's just lack of match practice and confidence, but the system doesn't seem to suit him either.

Cads- going through a tough spell, not really getting the chances he did before in a two. Seems like it needs a different formation to 2 up top to get the best out of him, but he's only young and improving.

Wilks- hasn't played up front in a long time but even on the wing he lacks impact and Röhl doesn't seem to really trust him. Sure he'll be gone in the summer.

It's clear that Ugbo has to be a priority in the summer along with at least one other striker. Sure Röhl will have his targets but hopefully we can get safety secured before the final game.

• Like 2

It's definitely Ugbo's shirt to lose, not that I can see that happening. 

You're right Smith is maybe slightly out of his depth at this level but we certainly don't play to his strengths either. 

Most young players are very inconsistent and Cadamarteri's just finding it hard to make an impact right now but I'm confident his time will come again.

Windass may still have a big role to play, he should be available again after Ipswich.

And who knows, we may even register Gregory for the last eight games and maybe, just maybe, he comes on as a late sub in one game and nicks a crucial goal. 

Ugbo is head and shoulders above our other centre forwards.

We've needed a player like him all season and really could have done with another player with similar attributes to rotate / step in when needed.

As it is, we just have to hope he stays fit, as none of the others make anything like the same impact.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mystic Neg said:

If Musaba could learn to get his head up and find a pass he'd be 10 times the player.

And he would have not been here, go figure.

Ugbo and Gassama for me with Poveda. Musaba needs to look up, a couple of times he should have played the ball earlier. Smith looks way off no goal threat. Is it time to look at Gregory as a sub.

11 hours ago, island owl said:

Ugbo and Gassama for me with Poveda. Musaba needs to look up, a couple of times he should have played the ball earlier. Smith looks way off no goal threat. Is it time to look at Gregory as a sub.

Musaba has been a match winner many times this season though, can't forget that. He seems to save his best for away games where we can hit teams on the counter more and he has the space to run into- I'd play him vs Ipswich and Gassama at home. He has a bit of JJ about him, which isn't a bad thing.

Smith was better than Gregory last season and is younger so should be the better bet, but agreed no harm in giving Gregory a try. Though I doubt either will be effective if one up front, but that formation works best for us overall.

Forgot about Windass, he offers something different and was playing well as a no 10 in 4-2-3-1 before injury. Need him back which gives us that other way of playing.

On 08/03/2024 at 23:22, Sykes said:

Honestly no harm in trying Gregory at this stage. I back him more than Smith.

Totally agree with this.

Smith has a good track record but we're in the here and now. He's too slow, doesn't gamble and get into dangerous spaces which Ugbo and Gregory do, and the fact that he's 6'3" is meaningless if he can only jump two inches off the floor and doesn't seem to know where his head is. I honestly think his race is run.

Gregory and/or Cadamateri would be my replacements if needed, way ahead of Wilks and Fletcher, but hopefully Ugbo can carry on the good work.

On 08/03/2024 at 22:12, swfc-dan said:

Think it's clear we are reliant on Ugbo and Poveda. I like Musaba and Gassama and both have shown good spells just not as consistently effective. Think we could beat many teams without Poveda, but not sure about our striker backups if anything happens to Ugbo.

Smith- looks short of confidence and a shadow of last years 20 goal man. Not sure if it's just lack of match practice and confidence, but the system doesn't seem to suit him either.

Cads- going through a tough spell, not really getting the chances he did before in a two. Seems like it needs a different formation to 2 up top to get the best out of him, but he's only young and improving.

Wilks- hasn't played up front in a long time but even on the wing he lacks impact and Röhl doesn't seem to really trust him. Sure he'll be gone in the summer.

It's clear that Ugbo has to be a priority in the summer along with at least one other striker. Sure Röhl will have his targets but hopefully we can get safety secured before the final game.

Really like Ugbo and Poveda. 

Unfortunately we have put them in the shop window. We have no chance of signing Ugbo without a fee which is really frustrating. Ugbo will probably end up at a top six chasing side for a decent fee. 

For me Poveda has the ability to play for a promotion/ top six chasing team and I think his contract expires end of this season? We have a chance as he wouldn't need to move home and we could possibly offer a decent wage and if Röhl stays he may see the light that we can turn this around and become a competitive team next year if we stay up. 

Wish we could get both as they are fantastic and exciting to watch but we wont pay a fee for anyone so we need to enjoy Ugbo while we can. Make Poveda a priority on a decent contract. 

Edited by SouthernOwl24