Rochdale threatened with closure.

It really wee wees me off, wish people cared more. Bury got quite a bit of coverage when they went under, but nobody seemed to care when it happened to Macclesfield shortly after. If only the money was shared more evenly down the pyramid, the sport would be so much better for everyone. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, scram said:

You're wrong

The more money clubs get the more they spend on player and agents fees and wages

Until that is addressed then the rest is irrelevant

I've long been in favour of a maximum wage for each league to help get costs under control but currently wouldn't this breach UK and EU laws and also the European Human Rights Convention?

It's a genuine question because I honestly don't know the answer.

5 hours ago, scram said:

You're wrong

The more money clubs get the more they spend on player and agents fees and wages

Until that is addressed then the rest is irrelevant

Right, so why does that mean the money shouldn't be shared more equally? Who are you or the big clubs to decide how they spend it? 

Actually @scram re-reading both posts I misunderstood what you meant initially, I agree that the way the money is spent is a huge issue, and that more money wouldn't necessarily solve the problem. The unfairness of it it really bugs me though. 

Like others have said there's no easy answer.

I don't know how salary caps would work exactly, but it sounds appealing. I'd rather the English leagues be more competitive than worry about it attracting the world's top players. Only the supporters of a few clubs get to witness that anyway.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

Actually @scram re-reading both posts I misunderstood what you meant initially, I agree that the way the money is spent is a huge issue, and that more money wouldn't necessarily solve the problem. The unfairness of it it really bugs me though. 

Like others have said there's no easy answer.

I don't know how salary caps would work exactly, but it sounds appealing. I'd rather the English leagues be more competitive than worry about it attracting the world's top players. Only the supporters of a few clubs get to witness that anyway.

While in general and focusing on thr outcome I tend to agree with you, I will put forward a counterpoint to going to the extreme.

I get annoyed at Irish fans who rage at coaches picking guys playing in the Championship instead of someone who's lighting it up in LoI. Simply, it's because the guy who's a reliable Championship player is playing against better opposition and therefore more prepared for international football. If the FA is meant to get a competitive English team out, then playing against the best in the world is part of that preparation. 

Of course, you can say it's gone too far and the "English player premium" leads to promising English players being squeezed out for mediocre foreign players. I'm not claiming to have the answers, but just putting forward another point.

I agree with points above that wages are the big issue and they are driven up by clubs at the top.  

In the past youngsters on the way up would work up the leagues now they all sit in premier league club academies earning more than championship players. 

Older players would also work there way back down but now they are millionaires and have no need to graft at lower league clubs. 

Are we at a stage now where premier league clubs don't need the pyramid anymore as they have these vast academy's and own clubs abroad? Talking to people who support the money clubs (Man United, City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs) they seem to think we all support them anyway as second clubs and if we went under we would all just support them "full time". I think they genuinely see me as a bit quirky for not supporting the top clubs or having a "second team" which is one of them. 

I'm not a fan of salary caps

I think the onus is on clubs to self regulate 

It needs enough clubs to be disciplined in their finances and pay their players appropriately- that would set wages at a sustainable level

If they can't do that then they will fail

I would also scrap the ridiculous financial rules that are causing so much grief to clubs

Edited by scram
  • Like 1

On 23/02/2024 at 11:05, scram said:

I'm not a fan of salary caps

I think the onus is on clubs to self regulate 

It needs enough clubs to be disciplined in their finances and pay their players appropriately- that would set wages at a sustainable level

If they can't do that then they will fail

I would also scrap the ridiculous financial rules that are causing so much grief to clubs

This and just punish clubs who go in to admin properly.

Relegate to lowest pro division (conference north/south).

Install a paid employee from the EFL and ensure they spend no more than 50% of previous years revenue in summer and can then top up in January but maximum 80% of revenue however allow them to spend whatever they want I it's a cash injection with no strings attached.

Keep them under EFL control for a period of 10years minnimum.

If a billionaire wants to buy Dorking for example and spend his cash on them what's that got to do with anybody else.

On 21/02/2024 at 12:35, kirksandallowl said:

Can't they just go into admin then someone will be along to buy them?  Well according to some on here that's how it works anyway.

The further down the leagues you go, the harder it is to find a buyer.  A club in the Championship is only one good season away from profitability and a massive international profile boost.  Unless you bring the massive profile boost yourself like Ryan Reynolds no one will give a poo about your National League side.

9 minutes ago, Waddle93 said:

Thought all conference was now and quite a few in North/South 

Not yet

4 in the National League are seni-pro. Not sure how many in the Nat North & South but most aren't professional.

I think Macclesfield are the lowest level pro club.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/feb/28/rochdale-fight-to-survive-ratcliffe-liquidation

Real shame if they go under, football in this country is special and all our clubs need support to survive after all we only support the clubs we follow due to an accident of birth. It’s not just the top half a dozen clubs that’s important na’er mind what Sky think.

It’s seems noticeably harder in the north west for the smaller clubs due to the pull of the big boys not too far away.