Homosexually and football.

Not seen it yet, but looks an interesting documentary by Rylan Clarke.

Wonder why football is so discriminatory towards gay people?

Society has changed, but football lags far behind.

I think there is definitely a stigma that stems from the fact football is traditionally a working class sport and does have more tribal supporters. As a result, gay players are simply too fearful to come out for fear of the abuse they might get. And the longer the wait goes on, the more pressure and media attention will inevitable fall on that person. 

With over 500 players in the PL and 1.5% of the population in England describing themselves as gay in the 2021 census, then there has to be a few gay players currently in the top flight who daren't come out publicly, and that is pretty sad in 2024. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mus said:

I might give it a watch, but it's hardly a ground breaking topic or something that hasn't been covered before. 

Quite frankly, I think the game is going backwards when it comes to tolerance and open mindedness to minority groups, whether it be POC, LGBT+, and womens involvement. 

We are seeing more toxic masculinity and any attempt at progress and inclusiveness in the game is seen as 'woke' and 'lefty'. 

Jordan Henderson and his now obvious performative nonsense has done a bit of damage, and the England players not standing by their 'convictions' in Qatar shows that most players as well as most fans have no intentions of tackling the issue. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, owls maniac said:

I think there is definitely a stigma that stems from the fact football is traditionally a working class sport and does have more tribal supporters. As a result, gay players are simply too fearful to come out for fear of the abuse they might get. And the longer the wait goes on, the more pressure and media attention will inevitable fall on that person. 

With over 500 players in the PL and 1.5% of the population in England describing themselves as gay in the 2021 census, then there has to be a few gay players currently in the top flight who daren't come out publicly, and that is pretty sad in 2024. 

I was listening to a podcast a few months ago about homosexuality in sport, obviously football came up and it was suggested that a lot of gay players drop out because of the environment growing up. It was backed with the point that so few players come out even after retirement. Which you would assume would happen if lots gay players made it to that level, as they are removed from the crowd/grief etc. I have absolutely no idea if true but an interesting pov.

Whatever the cause, it’s really sad in this day and age, seriously who gives a fizz if people are gay or not. Sadly seems like a few people

• Like 2

On 05/02/2024 at 15:14, Mus said:

Football's discriminatory towards anyone tbh.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, owls maniac said:

This sounds plausible, until you consider that rugby league has had openly gay players, despite being rooted in the same working class communities with tribal support. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Owl.1867 said:

This sounds plausible, until you consider that rugby league has had openly gay players, despite being rooted in the same working class communities with tribal support. 

Not a rugby fan so i'm not all that clued up on the culture. Think it is fair to say football gets 100x the media attention and scrutiny, so that maybe has something to do with it.

Its also odd because football has had sooo many "metrosexual" players in recent years, like Beckham and Ronaldo, you would have thought that would have paved the way for a player to come out. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

Not a rugby fan so i'm not all that clued up on the culture. Think it is fair to say football gets 100x the media attention and scrutiny, so that maybe has something to do with it.

Its also odd because football has had sooo many "metrosexual" players in recent years, like Beckham and Ronaldo, you would have thought that would have paved the way for a player to come out. 

I actually think that's part of the reason, more than the communities.

It's obviously wrong that this is still part of it, but when you consider that sports which have had openly gay players include both codes of rugby, ice hockey, hurling, boxing and other combat sports, while football hasn't, I feel like there is an element of those others that they've "proven" their masculinity already. People aren't exactly going to accuse a rugby league enforcer of somehow lacking masculinity (they did try), whereas we know exactly what will get said every time a PL player dives for a penalty if they're out. "Oooh, doesn't she [sic] go down easily?"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Owl.1867 said:

I actually think that's part of the reason, more than the communities.

It's obviously wrong that this is still part of it, but when you consider that sports which have had openly gay players include both codes of rugby, ice hockey, hurling, boxing and other combat sports, while football hasn't, I feel like there is an element of those others that they've "proven" their masculinity already. People aren't exactly going to accuse a rugby league enforcer of somehow lacking masculinity (they did try), whereas we know exactly what will get said every time a PL player dives for a penalty if they're out. "Oooh, doesn't she [sic] go down easily?"

Who is an openly gay boxer (not being a ********, just never heard of any and a sport I closely follow)?

13 minutes ago, boxing_day said:

Who is an openly gay boxer (not being a ********, just never heard of any and a sport I closely follow)?

There have been a few, including obviously Emile Griffith who followed up on gay taunts by inflicting a beating so severe it killed his opponent.

There hasn't been a male headline prizefighter who's out, but there are professionals who are out.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Owl.1867 said:

There have been a few, including obviously Emile Griffith who followed up on gay taunts by inflicting a beating so severe it killed his opponent.

There hasn't been a male headline prizefighter who's out, but there are professionals who are out.

thank you! 

Just now, Arthur Bach said:

Rylan Clarke was a season ticket holder at West Ham for many years when ne was younger.

Was going to say, he's just about the ideal person to present and talk on this topic.

Also, while I get it's all personal preference, when compared to others who've taken that reality show to presenter path he's really quite likeable. Seems to absolutely get what he is and why he's there, is comfortable to mock himself or have the jokes come his way, and quick witted enough to give it back.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, markowl said:

Are you saying that football supporters are inclusive of homosexuals in your experience?

Are you referring to those football fans in that photo specifically? Posting the photo without context is a cheap shot.

The issue of acceptance of homosexuality within football can be aimed at so many more facets of the game. Not least the increasing cosmopolitan ownership of clubs that deem homosexuality illegal and punishable by death.

I look forward to hearing what Rylan has to say on the subject however considering he is most likely an authority on the subject.

• Like 3