Homosexually and football.

30 minutes ago, Arthur Bach said:

Are you referring to those football fans in that photo specifically? Posting the photo without context is a cheap shot.

The issue of acceptance of homosexuality within football can be aimed at so many more facets of the game. Not least the increasing cosmopolitan ownership of clubs that deem homosexuality illegal and punishable by death.

I look forward to hearing what  Rylan has to say on the subject however considering he is most likely an authority on the subject.

I'm talking about football supporters, not football club owners.

Only in the last few years, a fair percentage of our fanbase thought it was hilarious to make homophobic chants at Brighton.

The photo is quite clearly a representation of what an "Engerland" hooligan looks like.

Not sure what the dig at Rylan is about.

37 minutes ago, Arthur Bach said:

The issue of acceptance of homosexuality within football can be aimed at so many more facets of the game. Not least the increasing cosmopolitan ownership of clubs that deem homosexuality illegal and punishable by death.

This kind of deflection ignores the very real issues that have been very much within English football for generations.

On 06/02/2024 at 19:10, Owl.1867 said:

There have been a few, including obviously Emile Griffith who followed up on gay taunts by inflicting a beating so severe it killed his opponent.

There hasn't been a male headline prizefighter who's out, but there are professionals who are out.

Actually Emile was Bi-sexual and was quoted as saying he loved men and women but preferred women.

59 minutes ago, Mighty Quinn said:

Actually Emile was Bi-sexual and was quoted as saying he loved men and women but preferred women.

What does the B in LGBTQ stand for?

And as I'm sure you're aware, that distinction didn't change the experiences he had.

Do you think it would be any easier for a bi footballer to be open about that?

On 06/02/2024 at 14:01, Bannofan said:

I might give it a watch, but it's hardly a ground breaking topic or something that hasn't been covered before. 

Quite frankly, I think the game is going backwards when it comes to tolerance and open mindedness to minority groups, whether it be POC, LGBT+, and womens involvement. 

We are seeing more toxic masculinity and any attempt at progress and inclusiveness in the game is seen as 'woke' and 'lefty'. 

Jordan Henderson and his now obvious performative nonsense has done a bit of damage, and the England players not standing by their 'convictions' in Qatar shows that most players as well as most fans have no intentions of tackling the issue. 

The game is being bought lock, stock and barrel by representatives of regimes, and being aggressively marketed to the population of regimes, that quite frankly are not on the same page as us about gay people.

Major Hollywood movies now include more gay people, but in ways that they can be easily edited out or made to appear ambiguous for the Chinese market.  The calculation is now about 'how many shirts would Ronaldo sell in the Middle East and Asia if he was openly gay?'.

• Like 2