Anybody been watching? 

it seems weird that it’s held this time of year - I saw a player needed subbing off before half time as it was too hot 

commercially seems like it would be better to do in the off season, when loads of people need their football fix?

It’s being held in Ivory Coast, and they requested it be moved to January.

It was moved to avoid the tropical rain season that West Africa gets in the our summer months.

They have been looking at moving it for a while but always difficult in Africa due to weather.

Been a crazy comp. Lots of the “bigger” nations heading home already.

10 minutes ago, lukeyswfc said:

It’s being held in Ivory Coast, and they requested it be moved to January.

It was moved to avoid the tropical rain season that West Africa gets in the our summer months.

They have been looking at moving it for a while but always difficult in Africa due to weather.

Been a crazy comp. Lots of the “bigger” nations heading home already.

When was it in the close season? Always seems to be in Jan?

just seems a bit mad to me, would probably be bigger than the copa America for European people considering the African Diaspora and the amount of European players that play for African countries, and that many of these players are based in Europe. Then you have all this pressure from clubs on their players to pull out etc 

1 hour ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

When was it in the close season? Always seems to be in Jan?

just seems a bit mad to me, would probably be bigger than the copa America for European people considering the African Diaspora and the amount of European players that play for African countries, and that many of these players are based in Europe. Then you have all this pressure from clubs on their players to pull out etc 

They wanted to move this edition to European summer but because that’s tropical season in West Africa it got put back.

I think their plan is to try to do it in European summer but being in Africa that might have challenges.

5 minutes ago, lukeyswfc said:

They wanted to move this edition to European summer but because that’s tropical season in West Africa it got put back.

I think their plan is to try to do it in European summer but being in Africa that might have challenges.

That would generally be their winter wouldn’t it? 

54 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

That’s what I mentioned before.

Ivory Coast in June July is tropical storms, so they moved it back to January.

Guess it’ll depend where in Africa it’s held.

5 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

European summer is not generally the “African winter”.

For a start, most African nations are in the northern hemisphere.

For the 20 or so African countries that are south of the equator, most are in the tropics, so in crude terms have a distinction between rainy and non-rainy rather than winter/summer.

Only the far south of Africa remotely comes close to winter type weather, but that would be quite nice for football.

• Like 1

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

20 hours ago, Neal M said:

European summer is not generally the “African winter”.

For a start, most African nations are in the northern hemisphere.

For the 20 or so African countries that are south of the equator, most are in the tropics, so in crude terms have a distinction between rainy and non-rainy rather than winter/summer.

Only the far south of Africa remotely comes close to winter type weather, but that would be quite nice for football.

Yep I was in Johannesburg last summer, easily 10° - 15° (maybe 7° in the early mornings).... very comfortable for playing.

Would be a bit boring having tournaments in SA / Botswana / Mozambique / Zimbabwe or Namibia all the time though due to the weather...

2 hours ago, The only way is S6 said:

Is the tournament called AFCON 23 or 24, due to a past postponement? 

Yes, they've done it once before as well I think they keep the naming as advertising etc was already in place. 

• Thanks 1

I've watched most of the games, it's been really, really good. Actually feels like a proper tournament. The only game I've not watched was yesterdays match between Cameroon and Gambie......ffs.