30 years since...

19 minutes ago, owler66 said:

He got injured after this match and didn't play in the next home game a 3-3 draw with rock bottom Swindon, in fact this match was the beginning of the end of his Wednesday career 

Wasn't this also the season we couldn't score in the first four games, then we went 3-0 up against Norwich at home, and then inevitably drew 3-3?

I'm sure we stuck 5 past QPR and Ipswich as well and we're known as "The Entertainers". Didn't win owt. 

Classic Wednesday. 

16 minutes ago, Furious George said:

Wasn't this also the season we couldn't score in the first four games, then we went 3-0 up against Norwich at home, and then inevitably drew 3-3?

I'm sure we stuck 5 past QPR and Ipswich as well and we're known as "The Entertainers". Didn't win owt. 

Classic Wednesday. 

Yes

He was brilliant this match and he was just turned 33, I'm not sure why his career at Wednesday came to an end whether he fell out with someone but he seemed to have a bit of a normadic end to his playing days, he should have stayed here till he hung his boots up and had an end to his career here similar to Trevor Francis 

2 hours ago, Furious George said:

Classic Wednesday. 

We went through a phase of not playing particularly well but scoring for fun. Strange season which promised so much after the previous season and the acquisition of Des Walker yet unfortunately didn’t deliver

13 hours ago, manicowl said:

Thinking about it actually who was the last Wednesday player to get capped for England? Was it Hinchcliffe? 

Think Hinchcliffe in 1998 was the last player who played for England while at Wednesday.
Although we have had a few players since who have played for England either before or after they spell a Wednesday.
Ross Barkley, Gabriel Agbonlahor, Chris Kirkland, Francis Jeffers, Jay Bothroyd, Anthony Gardner.

5 hours ago, owler66 said:

He got injured after this match and didn't play in the next home game a 3-3 draw with rock bottom Swindon, in fact this match was the beginning of the end of his Wednesday career 

He had a bit of a purple patch a couple of years later when he linked up with Marc Degryse really well but it only lasted a couple of months. He was incredible when we put six on Leeds. 

5 hours ago, owler66 said:

He was brilliant this match and he was just turned 33, I'm not sure why his career at Wednesday came to an end whether he fell out with someone but he seemed to have a bit of a normadic end to his playing days, he should have stayed here till he hung his boots up and had an end to his career here similar to Trevor Francis 

Think when Pleat took over he thought it was time to move on some of the over 30s.
Players like Waddle, Hirst, Bright, Chris Woods, Sinton, Sheridan all seemed to be moved on about same time.

6 hours ago, owler66 said:

Not really he played 67 times over the following 2 seasons.

23 minutes ago, owl84 said:

Not really he played 67 times over the following 2 seasons.

Well I wouldn't have thought that, it just feels like he didn't do much of note after that match his decline and Wednesdays ran side by side