Man City Fans

Rogers

2 minutes ago, Quickly Kevin said:

You aren't really a fan though are you?

No fan of any team wants to merge.

I could argue that no real fan would hold back the city from success over their emotions and nostalgia 

I’ve been saying for 10 years, make Sheffield City FC, play in purple or whatever and chuck the kitchen sink at it 

or we play around in l1, risking administration, useless owners

It’s all very dull 

and hey…. If you don’t want the things I want…. I don’t give a f*** lol 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MF TAZ said:

I could argue that no real fan would hold back the city from success over their emotions and nostalgia 

I’ve been saying for 10 years, make Sheffield City FC, play in purple or whatever and chuck the kitchen sink at it 

It’s all very dull 

Bore off.

I’m sorry but I’m a grown man and I can make decisions that are better for the long term, over getting emotional over our history.

it would be different if we had competed at the top level a bit in the last 23 years but we have not. 

I could also argue success at the expense of dissolving both awfully performing Sheffield clubs, for the success of the city and Sheffield football, is more admirable than hoping some shady oil barren from a fascist state create success instead.

If you’d rather make it with blood money than merge with another team, I’m not gonna question my sense of right and wrong when my method is devoid of questionable revenue. 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, MF TAZ said:

I’m sorry but I’m a grown man and I can make decisions that are better for the long term, over getting emotional over our history.

it would be different if we had competed at the top level a bit in the last 23 years but we have not. 

I could also argue success at the expense of dissolving both awfully performing Sheffield clubs, for the success of the city and Sheffield football, is more admirable than hoping some shady oil barren from a fascist state create success instead.

If you’d rather make it with blood money than merge with another team, I’m not gonna question my sense of right and wrong when my method is devoid of questionable revenue. 

That sounds great until the one club in the city is śhit as well .

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, MF TAZ said:

Such blatant attention seeking.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, MF TAZ said:

I’d lose an arm for what’s happened to city to happen to us 

30 years of Wednesday being awful has made me jealous of just simply success 

I’d merge with the pigs of it meant I had a PL team to follow, so anything that’s happened to city’s history and I’d identify and fan base seem like great deal 

I pray some big American sports consortium takes us over OR anyone with the money to sort us out 

I’ve heard all the rubbish about how it was better at Maine rd and all that stuff…. It’s all nostalgia and waffle, you wanna play Real Madrid and Barcelona and compete otherwise what are we working for? 

Merging with United could never be an option for me.

8 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

My view is almost totally the opposite to this:

Firstly we haven't been awful for 30 years although it's true to say that large parts (but not all) of the last 23 years have been poor to say the least.

Secondly ,"merge with the pigs" never in a million years, regardless of what it meant for the future,

Third - Big American consortium? No thank you! They have no regard or love for the sport, it's about money and nothing else for them. I don't want them anywhere near our club.

Football has already sold it's soul for money, I don't want us to go any further down that road than we already have, in fact ultimately I'd like to see the ownership of the club (all clubs for that matter) revert back to the fans as they are the ones who  care the most.

The key to me is enjoying supporting your team regardless of the level you are at. It may all be "nostalgia and waffle" to you but some of my best times following Wednesday were in fact the worst times in our history (73-78). Seeing us in the top flight during the late 80's and 90's was great, but they aren't my happiest memories of watching Wednesday, give me a wet rainy night at Shrewsbury or a cold Saturday at Wrexham or a dodgy cup tie at Darlington and I'm happy regardless.

100% agree with this...best time had was following Wednesday in the 70's...by best I mean travelling all over England with the best set of supporters I could imagine...loyalty no matter what, the football on the pitch was dire but our fans especially away from home were awesome & something I will never forget....merging with the Blades?...absolutely never.

Oh & just on American takeover...what the hell do they know about football, in my opinion you need a love & feel for the actual game being played, not just a shed load of money.

9 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

My view is almost totally the opposite to this:

Firstly we haven't been awful for 30 years although it's true to say that large parts (but not all) of the last 23 years have been poor to say the least.

Secondly ,"merge with the pigs" never in a million years, regardless of what it meant for the future,

Third - Big American consortium? No thank you! They have no regard or love for the sport, it's about money and nothing else for them. I don't want them anywhere near our club.

Football has already sold it's soul for money, I don't want us to go any further down that road than we already have, in fact ultimately I'd like to see the ownership of the club (all clubs for that matter) revert back to the fans as they are the ones who  care the most.

The key to me is enjoying supporting your team regardless of the level you are at. It may all be "nostalgia and waffle" to you but some of my best times following Wednesday were in fact the worst times in our history (73-78). Seeing us in the top flight during the late 80's and 90's was great, but they aren't my happiest memories of watching Wednesday, give me a wet rainy night at Shrewsbury or a cold Saturday at Wrexham or a dodgy cup tie at Darlington and I'm happy regardless.

"The key to me is enjoying supporting your team regardless of the level you are at."

Also this...I'd rather watch & support Wednesday in non league than a merged Sheffield team at the highest levels.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MF TAZ said:

It’s all very dull 

Sounds like you have no real feel for what it means to support a club....emotion & nostalgia is what football in England has been built upon for well over a hundred years, it means something.

Sheffield is the birthplace of football as we know it, Wednesday are the oldest pro team in the city...things to feel good about & part of...merging with the Blades makes me feel sick & would be something I couldn't follow, no doubt due to emotion & nostalgia.

I’m not enjoying being accused of not being loyal to Sheffield Wednesday over this. 

why have I watched like 3,000 matches or something lol 

sometimes you just get absolutely sick of ending up back in league one, iffy owners and points deduction’s and embargo’s and the rest! 

now…. To smash through all of this, and also to pull the city forward, and have a force of football… if someone came in with a realistic model to make a new team that would need the pigs and Wednesday to fold or merge… I’d hear them out. 

Ideally Jeff bezos would buy us and the pigs would go bust. 

of course I hate those dirty gits, of course I care about Sheffield Wednesday. 

I hope we get up this season and I can stop feeling so low about our current state…. But right now if anyone had a plan to sort us out, no matter what it entailed I’d be all ears…. If it had a chance of making us a team that could play real, Barca, juventus, psg, etc 

any city fan who doesn’t appreciate what’s happened needs their head checking 

You would have thought having been in L1 no so long back that City would have maintained some sort of perspective. But with the sums of money spent and success since I'm sure that's quickly forgotten.

Used to have good supporters City...not sure if that's changed now, the clubs changed out of recognition since I went to Main Road in the 90s!

1 hour ago, MF TAZ said:

I’m not enjoying being accused of not being loyal to Sheffield Wednesday over this. 

sometimes you just get absolutely sick of ending up back in league one, iffy owners and points deduction’s and embargo’s and the rest! 

now…. To smash through all of this, and also to pull the city forward, and have a force of football… if someone came in with a realistic model to make a new team that would need the pigs and Wednesday to fold or merge… I’d hear them out. 

I hope we get up this season and I can stop feeling so low about our current state…. But right now if anyone had a plan to sort us out, no matter what it entailed I’d be all ears…. If it had a chance of making us a team that could play real, Barca, juventus, psg, etc 

You can't say you want the best for Wednesday if that involves shutting the club down to birth a new and entirely different club

And Jeff Bezos?

He'd pay the players £8.50 an hour and want them working 14 hours a day 6 days a week

12 minutes ago, scram said:

You can't say you want the best for Wednesday if that involves shutting the club down to birth a new and entirely different club

And Jeff Bezos?

He'd pay the players £8.50 an hour and want them working 14 hours a day 6 days a week

It seemed a fair feeling to express given the threads topic 

I’m just saying I’d be less than sentimental if I was a city fan is all 

1 hour ago, MF TAZ said:

You haven't watched 3000 matches.   It irritates me a bit (I know it doesn't matter) when people say they've been to "thousands" of games.  You would have to go to every game home and away for 60 years to reach 3000.  

I would never support Sheffield City. History, tradition, nostalgia and emotion matter a lot to me.

Winning trophies would be great but not as a "made-up club".

46 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

You haven't watched 3000 matches.   It irritates me a bit (I know it doesn't matter) when people say they've been to "thousands" of games.  You would have to go to every game home and away for 60 years to reach 3000.  

I would never support Sheffield City. History, tradition, nostalgia and emotion matter a lot to me.

Winning trophies would be great but not as a "made-up club".

They’re all made up 

On 21/01/2023 at 21:01, MF TAZ said:

"now…. To smash through all of this, and also to pull the city forward, and have a force of football… if someone came in with a realistic model to make a new team that would need the pigs and Wednesday to fold or merge… I’d hear them out"

It's comments like this that are probably giving people the idea you're not that attached to Sheffield Wednesday Football Club where it matters most...the heart & soul.

I would wager you wouldn't find many fans of Wednesday or United that would want a merger, it just doesn't sit right, it would be a completely different team with no history or rivalry. it would most likely take a couple of generations before enough people were truly behind it. It would be a brand new club, Blades Owls would be gone, I'm sorry but that sounds pretty depressing to me.

Maybe just try to enjoy the actual game in front of you more, the competition of trying to win a league & be champions...if I'd been born in a non league football town & was a supporter of that club I'd be just as happy watching them if that's where my heart was....it doesn't have to be the highest level with the best players in the world to get into it & feel it.

If for some reason I HAD to be permanently in a place where the only football I could watch was say Barcelona, I'd appreciate the football but it wouldn't hurt if they lost...you have to feel it & from you're posting it doesn't sound like you do.

Here's a scenario....Wednesday and United stay exactly as they are...An American multi billionaire decides to build a state of the art stadium in the Rivelin Valley, create a team called Sheffield Shooters, fill the squad with world class players & somehow get the Premier League to accommodate them....would you go & watch if their games clashed with Wednesday's...I know I wouldn't. I'd have no attachment to them other than I like good football.