World Cup 2022 - Gammon thread (no gay chat, no human rights etc)

FattyOwl72

On 24/11/2022 at 13:31, The only way is S6 said:

What about the attention seeking ‘I’m ignoring the tournament but posting about it every day’ lot? 

Just on this  ( not sure if you were generalising or meant me ) 

Guilty as charged I guess, although I'm not deliberately attention seeking. 

What I would say is that it has been made more ' palatable ' to watch as the human rights and corruption issues haven't been swept under the carpet, it is constantly mentioned and I think the broadcasting and reporting has been very responsible and of the right tone.

I always knew I would struggle not to watch it, and it has coincided with me being off work ill ( genuinely!) and a quiet period at work in general so someone always puts it on a PC in the office.

Genuinely hope it's working out for your gang out there by the way, I guess your mid journey for tonight's match at the moment. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

Just on this  ( not sure if you were generalising or meant me ) 

Guilty as charged I guess, although I'm not deliberately attention seeking. 

What I would say is that it has been made more ' palatable ' to watch as the human rights and corruption issues haven't been swept under the carpet, it is constantly mentioned and I think the broadcasting and reporting has been very responsible and of the right tone.

I always knew I would struggle not to watch it, and it has coincided with me being off work ill ( genuinely!) and a quiet period at work in general so someone always puts it on a PC in the office.

Genuinely hope it's working out for your gang out there by the way, I guess your mid journey for tonight's match at the moment. 

There's still some absolute nonsense being spouted though.  The section they just did on the LGBT issues on ITV for example had the female pundit (I'm assuming one of the England players) still banging the tired old 'we can change them through football' cliche.  Not sure how that's going to work when none of the actual players or FAs will lift a finger to stand up for human rights.  If anything they are going to learn the opposite lesson that money makes people shut up and abandon their principles.

I'm pretty sure one of the talking heads actually tried to claim 'oh, well, nobody cared about LGBT rights back in 2010 when Qatar got the tournament' as a justification for letting them host.

Edited by owlinexile

12 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

There's still some absolute nonsense being spouted though.  The section they just did on the LGBT issues on ITV for example had the female pundit (I'm assuming one of the England players) still banging the tired old 'we can change them through football' cliche.  Not sure how that's going to work when none of the actual players or FAs will lift a finger to stand up for human rights.  If anything they are going to learn the opposite lesson that money makes people shut up and abandon their principles.

I'm pretty sure one of the talking heads actually tried to claim 'oh, well, nobody cared about LGBT rights back in 2010 when Qatar got the tournament' as a justification for letting them host.

Was it Karen Carney?  to be honest I find all the female pundits bar her quite decent. All she seems to do is give vanilla comments and look scared by Souness and Keane.

On 21/11/2022 at 19:10, FattyOwl72 said:

Here you go for those that can't stand their footy being soured by chat regarding rainbows, armbands, taking the knee etc. 

here you go for those that can't stand their footy being soured by equal rights, migrant abuses and footballers supporting issues