1992 - The Year Football Changed

I like this video, which reminds you how different everything was 30 years ago.

Wednesday finished third in 1991, and maybe our struggles since are connected with the changes discussed here.  I'm afraid there's only this glimpse of Wednesday in the video though.

191605233_Football1992.png.f8284d7b887f7e49e8b7e667b8e7f546.png

Think it was technology that changed football with satellite TV.

Games could be shown round the world and when more money was being made from TV then the fan who had gone for years to games become less important.

Add to that some very, very wealthy people got involved for an ego boost then the game had less and less link with the ordinary supporter who was the backbone of clubs for 100 years before Sky and the Ambramovichs (And Chansiri) came along.

Don't care if I sound like a Gammon or Glimmer or lasted fashionable phrase but over last 20 years football has sold its soul.

• Like 4

Funnily enough, the Premier League was described as a "Super" League back in 1992. 

It's whole purpose was to strengthen the position of what was then the Big-5 - Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and Everton. In the case of four, it most certainly worked and Everton have been ever present since. 

I suppose the biggest frustration as a Wednesday fan is not only getting relegated from the thing, but getting relegated probably at the wrong time. Now, unless you are completely useless, relegation from the Prem puts you at such an advantage over most teams in the EFL. 

• Like 3

I was 8 and that was my first season watching football. From a Wednesday point of view I naively thought that was how it was always going to be 

Great times though. I knew every player from every club. Imo it was football played by proper footballers, watched by proper fans. Not just millionaire athletes strutting about entertainment tourists as is the case in many stadiums now 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SiJ said:

Funnily enough, the Premier League was described as a "Super" League back in 1992. 

It's whole purpose was to strengthen the position of what was then the Big-5 - Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and Everton. In the case of four, it most certainly worked and Everton have been ever present since. 

I suppose the biggest frustration as a Wednesday fan is not only getting relegated from the thing, but getting relegated probably at the wrong time. Now, unless you are completely useless, relegation from the Prem puts you at such an advantage over most teams in the EFL. 

Dem blades 

On 24/10/2021 at 15:38, edmontonowl said:

Yes was quite interesting even if it was all about the top clubs and in particular Manchester United.
Forgot about when Murdoch and Sky tried to buy Manchester United, was really impressive the fans campaign against it and how it won.
A really David v Golaith clash, but cant help feeling these Man U fans won the battle but lost the war.
Might not have been Murdoch but mega rich people brought the club (and others) anyway and made it what it is today.

3 hours ago, torryowl said:

just finished a book "the end of innocence" by tim quelch  about when the game really changed in the 59/60 season ........a good read .

The end of the minimum wage. Jimmy Hill was right and set off a market process for players' wages. There's nothing wrong with that and getting what you think you are worth.

We're now at a new level. It's obscene amounts of money but then the whole entertainment industry is no different. Agents and hangers on are abhorrent but that's just the way the market works.

In that BBC documentary, David James makes a comment about the ludicrous amounts of money that players were suddenly earning at a very young age. From earning nothing as an academy player to earning "loads", almost overnight and no in-between or progression.

Too much, too quick, no guidance

• Like 1