Brown/Shodipo

1 minute ago, CourteenerOwl said:

I agree with what you said about Shodipo but once Brown came on behind him, I did think he played quite well that final 10 mins. We need to start getting combos going through the side. We don't really have any atm apart from maybe Hutch and Iorfa having a good understanding.

It seemed like we played with a bit more urgency towards the end 

we should play like that more often because we have the players to do it 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fpowl said:

We have the players to do it I have no doubt, we just don't have the manager it would seem, let's see how he sets up vs Bolton.

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

I'm not going to get carried away with Brown's left back performance after 15 minutes away against Mansfield

But

I have seen enough of Johnson at left back to know I don't like it. Brown is a young left sided player who looks sharp, is full of running and is apparently a left back. And he did well today. And has done well in most games he's played. I'd really like to see him start a league game at left back. 

It just makes sense, unlike too much of what we actually play. 

1 hour ago, S72 Owl said:

I’m not convinced Brown is a good defender. Falls over at the faintest touch, is he strong enough to play left back in league one?

Hard to tell when he doesn’t get the chance to play there. I think we have to give him a try.

I also think Gibson needs to be given a chance along with Bashiru and Corbeanu.

No point having a squad full of energetic youngsters and not giving them games.

I don't think Johnson has been as bad as some have suggested, not great either. 

Palmer is our best defender at LB, despite being right footed, but do think Brown gives the best balance at LB. 

He would be my choice, particularly at home where we should try to attack. 

56 minutes ago, fpowl said:

Agree, we should. But, tonight that was largely down to Mansfield running out of steam.

Takes nothing away from taking our opportunity, but for large parts of that game we didn't lay a glove on them and looked second best.

Game management or good fortune? Only time and our subsequent league form will tell. 

12 hours ago, striker said:

Agree, we should. But, tonight that was largely down to Mansfield running out of steam.

Takes nothing away from taking our opportunity, but for large parts of that game we didn't lay a glove on them and looked second best.

Game management or good fortune? Only time and our subsequent league form will tell. 

Taking our games this year and the mentality I’d say more good fortune 

been saying it all season we need to be more aggressive play with more purpose and get at teams, we don’t test the keeper or get the ball in the box by a long way 

we’re too focused on playing the ball about at the back like we have the right to play and other teams show a more willingness to attack 

We set off every game like we’re 3-0 up and you have to earn that right to play 

14 hours ago, CourteenerOwl said:

Best combination play between two players all season that last ten minutes. Brown is clearly the best left back at the club and Shodipo was linking up excellently with him. They actually looked exciting that last ten minutes.

They have to start down the left Saturday.

They won't.

• Like 1

I've been very disappointed with Shodipo, gets the ball and seems to lack any desire to run at players, look at Corbeanu all he wants to do is run at defenders and beat them, so much more dynamic and exciting, just needs to learn to cross at the right time and he's going to be something special.