Forgive us older fans for thinking we actually a big club.

Guest Mcguigan
46 minutes ago, the monk said:

Think he was talking about the stadium they were playing in at the time

Are you saying that the teams that have built new stadiums and saw crowds increase sold out their smaller stadiums every week ? 

No he wasn't, he just gets loads of his "facts" wrong.

Roker Park held about 22k in the season he was talking about. The 42k he mentioned was SoL.

13 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

As a famous tennis player used to say..'you cannot be serious'..wednesday v burnley on tv..sunday dinner or monday night..34k (thats basically a sell out these days)..we wudnt get near that for a satday 15.00 kick off..imo

Well we might, if we sell every home ticket and Burnley bring 6000 fans lol

1 hour ago, PaoloDiCanio12 said:

You fail to mention that we were the 6th best supported club in the top flight and that attendance was 10k+ the average in the top flight at the time, getting more fans in than Newcastle Chelsea etc 

Yup, I get that. The point I was making is we have always had (and always will have) thousands of "Big match attenders" 

It's also highly unlikely we will ever see crowds like that again.

Guest Mcguigan
49 minutes ago, the monk said:

Think he was talking about the stadium they were playing in at the time

Are you saying that the teams that have built new stadiums and saw crowds increase sold out their smaller stadiums every week ? 

Pretty much or at least 95% full each week. That's why they expanded or moved altogether to get more fans in. They had reached their glass ceiling.

We on the other hand struggled to get high 20's averaged despite a 40k+ capacity.

Look at Southampton when they moved after selling out the Dell year in year out.

image.png.cac39db4c8733f5d6f025c0ca96a784e.png

Derby after their move..

image.png.61956b50db53c77b7a3c978126a80815.png

Attendances were a lot lower during the mid to late nineties compared to know but that's because of a restriction in capacities at certain stadia nothing else.

Average PL attendance 18/19 season = 38,168

Average PL attendance 20 years earlier in 98/99 season = 30,587

So an uplift of 7,581.

But back then Man U could only get 55k not 75k

Liverpool 43k not 54k

Arsenal 38k not 60k

Newcastle 36k not 52k

Spurs 36k not 51k

Leicester 20k not 32k

Southampton 15k not 31k

West Ham 25k not 60k

That's 152,000 more seats a fortnight available now than 20 years ago.

Our average of 26k back in 98/99 would soon drop down PaoloDiCaneo' s weird calculation/estimated attendance league positions had the available capacity been there for other clubs.

18 hours ago, theowlsman said:

I remember my Dad telling me about the 1960-61 season, finishing 2nd to Spurs when any other season we would have been League Champions with record points. 

RIP Dad btw.

First team to beat Spurs that season in front of 56000. What surprised me was the next two home games had 26/22000 attendances. End of season average 29229.  At least we got into Europe which the Blunts have never done.

14 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

First team to beat Spurs that season in front of 56000. What surprised me was the next two home games had 26/22000 attendances. End of season average 29229.  At least we got into Europe which the Blunts have never done.

Something to do with only 3 sides to the ground as building work started on the North 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, PaoloDiCanio12 said:

That was a completely different time mate, after 22 years out of the top flight even for games such as Burnley or Fulham on a Tuesday night, I can easily see 31k and 34k for run of the mill games IMO 

Got to disagree with that as things stand and the prices Chansiri charges.

New stadium , new owner definitely .

1 minute ago, Watto said:

Got to disagree with that as things stand and the prices Chansiri charges.

New stadium , new owner definitely .

As things stand we would never get 31k for a mid week Premier League game because as things stand we are in League 1.

If we did get into the Premier League the momentum and feel good factor we get 31k no problem for mid week games.

We took 50k to Wembley (I think) with less than 2 weeks notice so the support is there but need a winning team on the pitch.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, the monk said:

If utd can sell 30 k for such a match then so could we 

IF we ever get back to the PL then maybe. I don't think that's going to happen for a long time so it will be a new generation fanbase

51 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

Pretty much or at least 95% full each week. That's why they expanded or moved altogether to get more fans in. They had reached their glass ceiling.

We on the other hand struggled to get high 20's averaged despite a 40k+ capacity.

Look at Southampton when they moved after selling out the Dell year in year out.

image.png.cac39db4c8733f5d6f025c0ca96a784e.png

Derby after their move..

image.png.61956b50db53c77b7a3c978126a80815.png

Attendances were a lot lower during the mid to late nineties compared to know but that's because of a restriction in capacities at certain stadia nothing else.

Average PL attendance 18/19 season = 38,168

Average PL attendance 20 years earlier in 98/99 season = 30,587

So an uplift of 7,581.

But back then Man U could only get 55k not 75k

Liverpool 43k not 54k

Arsenal 38k not 60k

Newcastle 36k not 52k

Spurs 36k not 51k

Leicester 20k not 32k

Southampton 15k not 31k

West Ham 25k not 60k

That's 152,000 more seats a fortnight available now than 20 years ago.

Our average of 26k back in 98/99 would soon drop down PaoloDiCaneo' s weird calculation/estimated attendance league positions had the available capacity been there for other clubs.

93/94

Newcastle 36k   av 33

Arsenal 38k  av 30

Villa 40k(?)  av 29

City 30-40k  av26

Everton 34k  av 22

Mighty Blades 30k  av19 

Chelsea (?)    av 19

Norwich 25k  av 18

Leeds 39k  av 34

Think you are the only bloke who doesn't realise football is a different product and more popular now than back then 

But I suppose the only way we would find out is if the apperently 2nd biggest club in Sheffield gets its finger out and gets up there!

• Like 4

Guest Therealrealist
19 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

As things stand we would never get 31k for a mid week Premier League game because as things stand we are in League 1.

If we did get into the Premier League the momentum and feel good factor we get 31k no problem for mid week games.

We took 50k to Wembley (I think) with less than 2 weeks notice so the support is there but need a winning team on the pitch.

You cant compare a trip to wembley with a midweek televised gane at home to one of the pl no mark outfits..we wudnt get anywhere near 30k

2 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

You cant compare a trip to wembley with a midweek televised gane at home to one of the pl no mark outfits..we wudnt get anywhere near 30k

We would get 30,000 because of the demand for season ticket holders at the start of the season.

If we sold I think 22,000 season tickets for a Championship season we would probably sell another 5,000 on back on promotion and everyone wanting to be associated with the club again.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

It is 22 years outside of the pl, with new owners better ambition etc etc we would easily get 31k for midweek games and 34k run of the mill

• Love 1

Guest Mcguigan
4 minutes ago, the monk said:

93/94

Newcastle 36k   av 33

Arsenal 38k  av 30

Villa 40k(?)  av 29

City 30-40k  av26

Everton 34k  av 22

Mighty Blades 30k  av19 

Chelsea (?)    av 19

Norwich 25k  av 18

Leeds 39k  av 34

Think you are the only bloke who doesn't realise football is a different product and more popular now than back then 

But I suppose the only way we would find out is if the apperently 2nd biggest club in Sheffield gets its finger out and gets up there!

How do you know it's more popular now? How can you quantify it?

Are you telling me that back in 98/99 if Man U had 74k seats available they wouldn't sell them cause it wasn't as popular back then or Liverpool 54k, Newcastle 52k or Arsenal 60k?

Is it really more popular to the attending fan or just more available and popular to the armchair fan?

22 years ago, 1998/99 season was the first were the average PL game attendance topped 30k. Most clubs were at 90%+ of capacity and plenty others were complete sell outs every match. Clubs had waiting lists for tickets thousands of fans long. 

2,812,320 more fans attended matches in 2018/19 than 1998/99 but there's at least 3,496,000 more seats available in 18/19 than over the 98/99 season now.

Look at this way, at the moment your pouring 4 pints of milk into a 4 pint jug, back in 98/99 you were trying to pour 4 pints into a 3 pint jug. Is milk more popular now just because we have the capacity to hold it.

36 minutes ago, the monk said:

93/94

Newcastle 36k   av 33

Arsenal 38k  av 30

Villa 40k(?)  av 29

City 30-40k  av26

Everton 34k  av 22

Mighty Blades 30k  av19 

Chelsea (?)    av 19

Norwich 25k  av 18

Leeds 39k  av 34

Exactly! There is clearly a massive difference on crowds/ attendances in pl, so as I stated the 30k average claim is futile as it was a completely different time, in our glory days the top flight average was 15k, it is now 40k, our attendances was the 4th best in our best days, the 4th best attendance is now 60k,  clubs who were  claimed as better supported (Leicester etc) can’t even get top 10 attendance, we got slightly better attendances despite being in the mid table or lower for most of our time in the pl.

Guest Mcguigan
1 minute ago, PaoloDiCanio12 said:

Exactly! There is clearly a massive difference on crowds/ attendances in pl, so as I stated the 30k average claim is futile as it was a completely different time, in our glory days the top flight average was 15k, it is now 40k, our attendances was the 4th best in our best days, the 4th best attendance is now 60k,  clubs who were  claimed as better supported (Leicester etc) can’t even get top 10 attendance, we got slightly better attendances despite being in the mid table or lower for most of our time in the pl.

You keep losing me at glory days. We've had 4 top 5 finishes in the last 75+ years.

That's on a par with Blackburn and Portsmouth.

5 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

You keep losing me at glory days. We've had 4 top 5 finishes in the last 75+ years.

That's on a par with Blackburn and Portsmouth.

Not the point though is it? We’re talking about attendances at the time we were doing very well.

• Like 2

Guest Therealrealist

We have never ever got a big crowd for a run of the mill televised game..didnt we get 16k v leeds a few years ago😳