Forgive us older fans for thinking we actually a big club.

7 hours ago, Therealrealist said:

Thanks to a load of leeds fans

Erm, not really, the most leeds can take to Hillsborough is around 4500, so there would’ve been  26/28k Wednesday fans and at least 23/24k this season, so even with leeds united above average away following (just like ours) we can still get 26/28k swfc fans, in a reduced capacity of around 33/34k.

3 hours ago, Therealrealist said:

Do you talk pony just to get attention? Are you suggesting Villarreal are a bigger club than Arsenal? Slavia Prague bigger than Rangers? A cubs size should go on fan base and fan base only..by the way who wer yer before ‘sticky micky’...why the need to keep changing usernames?

Only one person talking 'pony' is you 

Arsenal and rangers have won more titles and trophies than the other two 

So my point stands 

Never understood why we need to resurrect history to try and prove we are a big club. It's now that matters. In the last 125 years we have only been in the top 10 averages 18 times and in the top 5 5times. We ARE a historically big club, from a big city, with a big ground. Football has totally changed. We need to forget the past and look to the now and tomorrow. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Guest Therealrealist
7 hours ago, Sticky Micky said:

Only one person talking 'pony' is you 

Arsenal and rangers have won more titles and trophies than the other two 

So my point stands 

Think Slavia have won a few more titles than Arsenal City and chelski put together tbh

2 hours ago, Therealrealist said:

Think Slavia have won a few more titles than Arsenal City and chelski put together tbh

Nope 

But keep trying 

Guest Therealrealist
22 minutes ago, Sticky Micky said:

Nope 

But keep trying 

Slavia have won more titles than city..chelski..and arsenal..are they a bigger club? Goin on your reasoning they are..but they arnt are they..so i wer right...apology accepted👍 have a nice day

Guest LondonOwl313
21 hours ago, PaoloDiCanio12 said:

Shrinking because of mismanagement of the club, would happen at every club, can I remind you that we averaged 28k when we finished 4th in a rocky season when it looked like we weren’t even going to get playoffs, we got 25/26k on run of the mill Tuesday/ Monday night games that season, that’s in the championship, you think our crowds if we get to pl won’t increase by 5k?

I understand the points you’re making and the interest in the game has increased over the last 30 years so it’s reasonable to assume we ‘could’ get more fans if we were successful. 

However, if you were to drop us into the top half of the Prem (with a team capable of that) then I’m not sure we would get loads more.

We've been neglected for so long that there’s just not the interest amongst younger fans. Would take a sustained period of being up there plus aggressive marketing and free tickets to grow the fanbase. 

Guest Therealrealist
6 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I understand the points you’re making and the interest in the game has increased over the last 30 years so it’s reasonable to assume we ‘could’ get more fans if we were successful. 

However, if you were to drop us into the top half of the Prem (with a team capable of that) then I’m not sure we would get loads more.

We've been neglected for so long that there’s just not the interest amongst younger fans. Would take a sustained period of being up there plus aggressive marketing and free tickets to grow the fanbase. 

Fanbases are getting older evrrywhere..goin to be a big problem for clubs like ours..loads er young uns have no interest in swfc v accrington..they wudnt come if it wer free to get in

Guest Mcguigan
15 hours ago, PaoloDiCanio12 said:

1992 was the last time we had a top 5 side and to put it into perspective, Arsenal averaged 31K in a 38-40k Highbury 7-9k empty seats, Man Utd averaged 44k in a 55k old Trafford, 11k empty seats, we averaged 29k in a 40k, 11k empty seats, we are only marginally behind arsenal and equal with Man Utd on empty seats at the time.

These are now the top clubs who can attract 60k+ every week, so to say that the premier league has changed completely on crowds in the past 20+ years is a severe understatement, there are plenty of other clubs like this at the time who couldn’t sell their ground out but now can, even if the capacity is increased, so the reason for this is clearly more than just a couple clubs increasing capacity in their stadium.

So clearly based off that our attendance will be different (if you needed any more evidence on top of that our average in pl despite over 60% of the time we were languishing in 12th or below, our attendance is worth around 32/35k today.) 

My prediction if we were in pl next season with a good chairman etc: Relegation 28-31k, Average season, sell out every week (34k) and same with a top 10 season (34k) IMO. 

Looking at your posts, you're whole defence of us being a big club is based around one seasons attendances, the 91/92 season. When, on the back of a promotion and League Cup win our attendance topped 29k and were the 3rd highest in the league and our best since 1968, although it be argued Leeds couldn't get more home fans in with segregation and away allocations.

The flaw in your defence is that as the PL came into fruition, the season after, our attendances dropped off whilst all around us were increasing, some dramatically, and by the time Euro 96 season came we had dropped down to 14th best attendance in the league whilst, again whilst other clubs either couldn't get anymore in their ground or were still improving.

Things picked up again briefly in 97/98 after a 7th place finish the season before but then dropped again culminating in just 24k attending in our relegation season.

Look at the difference in growth attendances in those 9 years.

image.png.ece93b2164b06c12a4eabe346c2830a9.png

Every club that was in the 91/92 season with us had increased it's average attendance in those 9 years by season 99/20, even Wimbledon by 10K. We were the only PL club that went backwards.

So for you to say in anything but a relegation season we'd sell out Hillsborough for every game is just wrong, there's nothing to back it up.

With the top 10 clubs, who would bring 4,500, we'd probably be looking at 85-100% full. For the rest 60-70% full. 28-30k average over the season. Decent sized PL club but not a big one.

4 hours ago, Mcguigan said:

Looking at your posts, you're whole defence of us being a big club is based around one seasons attendances, the 91/92 season. When, on the back of a promotion and League Cup win our attendance topped 29k and were the 3rd highest in the league and our best since 1968, although it be argued Leeds couldn't get more home fans in with segregation and away allocations.

The flaw in your defence is that as the PL came into fruition, the season after, our attendances dropped off whilst all around us were increasing, some dramatically, and by the time Euro 96 season came we had dropped down to 14th best attendance in the league whilst, again whilst other clubs either couldn't get anymore in their ground or were still improving.

Things picked up again briefly in 97/98 after a 7th place finish the season before but then dropped again culminating in just 24k attending in our relegation season.

Every club that was in the 91/92 season with us had increased it's average attendance in those 9 years by season 99/20, even Wimbledon by 10K. We were the only PL club that went backwards.

So for you to say in anything but a relegation season we'd sell out Hillsborough for every game is just wrong, there's nothing to back it up.

With the top 10 clubs, who would bring 4,500, we'd probably be looking at 85-100% full. For the rest 60-70% full. 28-30k average over the season. Decent sized PL club but not a big one.

Interesting that we were the only that was still in the PL who's crowds dropped.

Obviously the difference in quality (and expectarions)  between 91/92 and 99/2000 goes some way to explain it, but still to completely buck the trend is odd.

Even bearing that in mind I still feel that IF we got to the PL, away support and season Tickets alone would guarantee 30k attendances every match, every team who have averaged similar  (or less) Than us in the Championship have had huge jumps in crowds when they've reached the PL 

Middlesborough, Barnsley, Bradford, Stoke, Fulham, Watford, Sheffield United etc all had much bigger crowds (or full houses) in the PL (often increasing by over 50% for the 1st season)  when there Crowds previously were usually smaller than ours. 

It doesn't naturally follow that we would, but I see no reason why it wouldn't.

As for whether we're a "Big Club" No were not, we wouldn't be playing in League 1 if we were, but with our History, Fanbase, (especially away support) Stadium size (yes it's still huge for a 2nd Tier team, let alone 3rd) we still have the potential to get back to being a reasonably "Big Club"

Undoubtedly plenty of teams have passed us over the last 20 or 30 Years (in 93 we would have been seen as in the top 6 or 7 Clubs, something that will never be seen again)

But still many from outside Sheffield see us as a "sleeping Giant" the problem is nearly all those that do are over 40.

To People under the age of 30 we're just another Championsip/league 1 Club who get better support than we deserve and who can, in the right circumstances turn out really Big numbers both at home and especially away. 

Given a fair wind behind us and a good owner (I know!) we will one day get back to the Top Tier, but I can no longer see it happening in my lifetime, hopefully I'm wrong. UTO!!

• Like 1

Truth is no one knows how big a club we would be maxed out as its been ages since we was in the PL.

I'd like to think a debut season back in the promised land we would easily average 30k home gates.

The top 6 teams in the PL would sell out....next 6 would be around the 30k mark...

Weather or not those gates would be sustained after a few seasons would be another matter I guess it

would depend on if we was there just to survive.

Weather we will ever get to find out any of this is probably non existent under this pillock.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mcguigan said:

You forget to mention that since the season I quoted only 3 times have we made the top 10 and the rest we have either been below mid table or languished towards the bottom half of the table, a pretty good reason why our crowds would significantly dwindle, we had a free fall in table.

You are quoting crowds from when we were in or just shy of a relegation battle, this is with no ambition, even finishing below mid table in 90s, we still got an attendance which is worth more than 39k now, so that’s something which backs up my argument, I can go on, when we were relegated we had the 14th highest attendance, the 14th highest is now 30k, so backing up my claim once again, i said if relegated we would get around 29-31k, so I will stick by my opinion because I do have facts to back it up, proven by what I have just stated there.

In our best days in past 30 years (92-95) crowds were completely different, it has changed beyond comprehension nowadays, it is not just down to smaller stadiums though (although that does play a part) if it was how come these were the attendances of the top clubs at the time, Man City 26k in a 35k, Everton 22k in a 30-40k, Chelsea 19k, Arsenal 30k, 31k in a 38-40k stadium, so that clearly proves that it wasn’t because of small capacity stadiums.

Anyway you have your opinion and I’ll have mine and I’ll stick to my original opinion (29-31k relegation season, 34k average-just below average season and 34k top 10, unless we get an extension to stadium, which does not look likely.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 17/05/2021 at 10:12, Siggi's Jonnson said:

In the past i have  been to matches with 40000+ and always thought we were similar to Everton and Man City before their good fortune. If we had been in the premiership for the last 20 years, I think we would have been on 35000+ gates regularly. But a good proportion of Wednesday fans only go when It's cheap, successful to a degree and playing fancy opposition. To put it scientifically, it's like the ******** effect. It gets big when It's exciting and then gets smaller when the excitement goes. At the moment we are in a period of abstinence.  😣

Some folk may call em part time plastic pen!ses

On 17/05/2021 at 16:47, PaoloDiCanio12 said:

It depends where you want to start the comparison, here are the facts if we are unbiased, Sheffield Wednesday football club are the 13th most successful club in English football, that equates to a big club, Sheffield Wednesday football club are the 11th best supported club in this country, that equates to big club status, Sheffield Wednesday football club have spent the 14th most seasons in the top flight (which will be overtaken by wolves next year and will probably be 15th) that still equates to being a big club and 14th for all time points in top flight, that equates to being a big club too, if just depends how you value it, there’s no right answer, overall in my eyes we are certainly a big club, current infrastructure no.

“11th best supported club in this country” ? - what criteria ?

(NB it has been mathematically proven that 86.6666(recurring) % of statistics are fabricated 🤔)

On 18/05/2021 at 11:24, the monk said:

Think he was talking about the stadium they were playing in at the time

Are you saying that the teams that have built new stadiums and saw crowds increase sold out their smaller stadiums every week ? 

Joker Park ; “old stadium ” - personally I prefer to call em grounds😳) had a capacity on 22500 that season

On 18/05/2021 at 10:34, Watto said:

2 reasons for that crowd figure,

It was a Monday night game live on sky.

Wednesday although top after 4 games were on the slide under Pleat.

Apathy had already set in with some fans 

Kin ell- top of the league & “apathy had (already) set in “😳

On 18/05/2021 at 16:53, the monk said:

What about the 93-94 season I've highlighted?

I quantify it by the prem being watched all over the world , billionaire foreign owners , top players from all over the world finger over themselves to play , folk paying hundreds a year to watch it on sky

if you think the only reason teams like Leicester and Southampton etc get bigger crowds now is  because they were being held back by stadia in the past you're wrong .

How do you explain SUFC'S  90's prem attendances to now ?

COVID ? 🤔