Forgive us older fans for thinking we actually a big club.

Guest Therealrealist
42 minutes ago, PaoloDiCanio12 said:

It is 22 years outside of the pl, with new owners better ambition etc etc we would easily get 31k for midweek games and 34k run of the mill

Where are all these fans coming from? Our fanbase is shrinking..nobody wants to gp to boring home games anymore..apart from the die hards wi nowt better to do

2 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

Where are all these fans coming from? Our fanbase is shrinking..nobody wants to gp to boring home games anymore..apart from the die hards wi nowt better to do

Shrinking because of mismanagement of the club, would happen at every club, can I remind you that we averaged 28k when we finished 4th in a rocky season when it looked like we weren’t even going to get playoffs, we got 25/26k on run of the mill Tuesday/ Monday night games that season, that’s in the championship, you think our crowds if we get to pl won’t increase by 5k?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

We have never ever got a big crowd for a run of the mill televised game..didnt we get 16k v leeds a few years ago😳

That’s one game, we got 27k and around 30k vs leeds in the last few seasons.

Edited by Waterfall_Owl13
  • Thanks 1

Guest Therealrealist
16 minutes ago, Waterfall_Owl13 said:

That’s one game, we got 27k and around 30k vs leeds in the last few seasons.

Thanks to a load of leeds fans

1 hour ago, the monk said:

Something to do with only 3 sides to the ground as building work started on the North 

So the old North stand was still in use when we played Spurs but not afterwards? 

Are you sure about that , I would thought construction would have started on the new stand in the close season 

Anyway for what it's worth I think the name Sheffield Wednesday is still a big deal , you've only got to listen to pundits and ex players they all say what s big club we are , doesn't mean we are successful, have money , have a shiny new ground , just means we are well known throughout the football world for what we have achieved in the past and just as importantly what a big fanbase we have.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Watto said:

So the old North stand was still in use when we played Spurs but not afterwards? 

Are you sure about that , I would thought construction would have started on the new stand in the close season 

Not a clue 

2 hours ago, Mcguigan said:

How do you know it's more popular now? How can you quantify it?

Are you telling me that back in 98/99 if Man U had 74k seats available they wouldn't sell them cause it wasn't as popular back then or Liverpool 54k, Newcastle 52k or Arsenal 60k?

Is it really more popular to the attending fan or just more available and popular to the armchair fan?

22 years ago, 1998/99 season was the first were the average PL game attendance topped 30k. Most clubs were at 90%+ of capacity and plenty others were complete sell outs every match. Clubs had waiting lists for tickets thousands of fans long. 

2,812,320 more fans attended matches in 2018/19 than 1998/99 but there's at least 3,496,000 more seats available in 18/19 than over the 98/99 season now.

Look at this way, at the moment your pouring 4 pints of milk into a 4 pint jug, back in 98/99 you were trying to pour 4 pints into a 3 pint jug. Is milk more popular now just because we have the capacity to hold it.

What about the 93-94 season I've highlighted?

I quantify it by the prem being watched all over the world , billionaire foreign owners , top players from all over the world finger over themselves to play , folk paying hundreds a year to watch it on sky

if you think the only reason teams like Leicester and Southampton etc get bigger crowds now is  because they were being held back by stadia in the past you're wrong .

How do you explain SUFC'S  90's prem attendances to now ?

• Like 3

Guest Mcguigan
1 hour ago, the monk said:

What about the 93-94 season I've highlighted?

I quantify it by the prem being watched all over the world , billionaire foreign owners , top players from all over the world finger over themselves to play , folk paying hundreds a year to watch it on sky

How do you explain SUFC'S  90's prem attendances to now ?

You think Burnley v WBA is watched all over the world? It’s barely watched over here.

“if you think the only reason teams like Leicester and Southampton etc get bigger crowds now is  because they were being held back by stadia in the past you're wrong .”

Er, yeah. If Southampton can only hold 15k but as soon as they move they go up to 30k then yes, their attendances were held back by stadia. What else could it be?

3 hours ago, Watto said:

Anyway for what it's worth I think the name Sheffield Wednesday is still a big deal , you've only got to listen to pundits and ex players they all say what s big club we are , doesn't mean we are successful, have money , have a shiny new ground , just means we are well known throughout the football world for what we have achieved in the past and just as importantly what a big fanbase we have.

This is  it. On  top of that we are one of the most successful football clubs  (13th most trophies ) so we certainly are a successful club overall. 

18 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

You think Burnley v WBA is watched all over the world? It’s barely watched over here.

“if you think the only reason teams like Leicester and Southampton etc get bigger crowds now is  because they were being held back by stadia in the past you're wrong .”

Er, yeah. If Southampton can only hold 15k but as soon as they move they go up to 30k then yes, their attendances were held back by stadia. What else could it be?

And the 93 94 figures i highlighted ? 

And the sufc bit i highlighted ? 

In the 5 seasons leicester were in the prem at Filbert st in a 22k stadium they sold out twice ! They build a new stadium and its 30k 

The reason in my opinion is simple,  build a new stadium and you get the regulars and the wider 2/3 times a season fan base ( the Wembley type fan base ) all wanting to get involved in an all new exiting experience with most of them buying a season ticket ,its your seat you are the only person to have that seat until you decide to give it up 

Or perhaps Wednesday are the only club in England whose crowds would not get bigger than what they experienced in the 90's

But you have your opinion which is as valid as mine 

• Like 2

A size of a club should be measured by the success on the pitch 

Don't buy this fanbase size makes you a big club 

Footballs about getting results and winning trophies,not how many people watch the game 

Early 90s I'd have said we was a big club with the potential to be a elite club 

Now I say we are a semi big club who needs a rocket up its a55 

Out of the clubs not in the top league I'd have us behind forest only 

3 hours ago, the monk said:

And the 93 94 figures i highlighted ? 

And the sufc bit i highlighted ? 

In the 5 seasons leicester were in the prem at Filbert st in a 22k stadium they sold out twice ! They build a new stadium and its 30k 

The reason in my opinion is simple,  build a new stadium and you get the regulars and the wider 2/3 times a season fan base ( the Wembley type fan base ) all wanting to get involved in an all new exiting experience with most of them buying a season ticket ,its your seat you are the only person to have that seat until you decide to give it up 

Or perhaps Wednesday are the only club in England whose crowds would not get bigger than what they experienced in the 90's

But you have your opinion which is as valid as mine 

1992 was the last time we had a top 5 side and to put it into perspective, Arsenal averaged 31K in a 38-40k Highbury 7-9k empty seats, Man Utd averaged 44k in a 55k old Trafford, 11k empty seats, we averaged 29k in a 40k, 11k empty seats, we are only marginally behind arsenal and equal with Man Utd on empty seats at the time.

These are now the top clubs who can attract 60k+ every week, so to say that the premier league has changed completely on crowds in the past 20+ years is a severe understatement, there are plenty of other clubs like this at the time who couldn’t sell their ground out but now can, even if the capacity is increased, so the reason for this is clearly more than just a couple clubs increasing capacity in their stadium.

So clearly based off that our attendance will be different (if you needed any more evidence on top of that our average in pl despite over 60% of the time we were languishing in 12th or below, our attendance is worth around 32/35k today.) 

My prediction if we were in pl next season with a good chairman etc: Relegation 28-31k, Average season, sell out every week (34k) and same with a top 10 season (34k) IMO. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Guest Therealrealist
1 hour ago, Sticky Micky said:

A size of a club should be measured by the success on the pitch 

Don't buy this fanbase size makes you a big club 

Footballs about getting results and winning trophies,not how many people watch the game 

Early 90s I'd have said we was a big club with the potential to be a elite club 

Now I say we are a semi big club who needs a rocket up its a55 

Out of the clubs not in the top league I'd have us behind forest only 

Do you talk pony just to get attention? Are you suggesting Villarreal are a bigger club than Arsenal? Slavia Prague bigger than Rangers? A cubs size should go on fan base and fan base only..by the way who wer yer before ‘sticky micky’...why the need to keep changing usernames?