Forgive us older fans for thinking we actually a big club.

8 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

Second biggest crowd. In top 2 divisions...we can be a big club again..one day

If my memory serves me correctly, we were 4th highest average attendance in the top two divisions that season and the season after (and possibly the season before) with only Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal attracting larger crowds.  In that period, when we weren't in the top 4 average attendances we were regularly in the top 6.  In fact, I can remember the likes of  the late great Brian Moore and great Des Lynham constantly referring to us as "top 6".  

We spectacularly blew it in so many ways, completely missing the football BOOM! and the surge in popularity that most teams enjoyed, coinciding with a successful season or 2. We on the other hand are yet to have a (premier league) successful season!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

The potential of Sheffield Wednesday is ultimately why Chansiri bought us. And now we will be the largest club in the third division (assuming Sunderland go up). Pitiful. 

I'm only amazed a certain poster didn't include this is his "positives of DC's tenure list........"

Edited by Morepork
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Therealrealist said:

Second biggest crowd. In top 2 divisions...we can be a big club again..one day

Getting bigger crowds than arsenal and big 6 and the title winners at one point, Sheff u couldn’t do that Leicester couldn’t etc etc, it depends how you value size of football clubs, overall we are easily a big club, current infrastructure nowhere near 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DSandersonOWL said:

Forgive us older fans for thinking we WERE actually a big club. 

Not sure if this is a joke/bait post but we certainly were a big club in English football, if we weren’t/ aren’t overall a big club how come these are the overall stats for our club? 

49C340A6-5330-465D-AD5D-9DC0A132AE15.jpeg

3D4B56C4-7EEE-49D9-9338-4FB5CE6A75C0.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks for posting this because growing up I always had us in the same bracket as Villa Newcastle Chelsea Spurs Man City in terms of support but below Man U Liverpool and Arsenal.

Unlike a number of other clubs, we have not had the chance to do a “reset” in the modern context. We have been badly managed and badly run for so long I think it would take a sustained period of success to rekindle those sort of crowds.

Likewise - Hate to say it, but Hillsborough has gone from being one of the best stadia in the country to being too old, too tarnished and nowadays in the wrong place to ever be selected for international matches again. 

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, BrucieBonus said:

We’ve not been a top club in over 22 years, we’re on no ones register anymore and we also have fans in their 20’s who have never experienced top flight football, the way we’ve been run is despicable. 

Agree with the way we have been run but I’m not sure about being on nobodies register, we’re on many peoples register for the crowds we get, averaging 24k last year with ridiculously expensive ticket pricing and having the best away following in the league, even when it looked like a rocky season and we wouldn’t get playoffs in 16/17 season 28k still showed up, that’s with a glimmer of hope that we would make it to pl, even when our ticket prices have been cheap for odd game we draw 30k (villa 2016/17 cardiff 15/16 arsenal 15/16 etc) and even with the ticket prices we have we have drawn 28k+ too, so it clearly shows that our football club has masses on masses  of potential. 

• Like 2