The points deduction. Could have, should have, would have.

Guest wilyfox
2 hours ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Yes, so what happens then? Do we get leaway from the EFL to carry on paying the high wages, or do we get deducted points again for breaking the fair play rules in league 1 and go down another division and so on until all the high earners are off the books?

Most will be off the books, that’s the point. Would not have been the case last year. I don’t think there is any grace with ffp. Either you comply or face sanction. 

By voluntarily spending well outside our means, while also voluntarily signing up to the rules that govern spending, we volunteered for the punishment.

We chose this path.  It's entirely of our doing.  

The timing is important obviously, but that's only from a sense of relegation.   Well, fizz the EFL, we don't need their points deduction to be relegated, so the timing isn't that relevant.

What Chansiri has done is drag our name through the mud, taken our stadium off us (to pay for his mistake), and still sent us down.

Guest Andy W
7 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Agreed.. it seems to be common knowledge on here that the penalty would have been applied last season if only we’d have been 12 points clear of the relegation zone. That can’t be the case though as it would defeat the point of it.. it’s a sporting sanction, its applied irrespective of the consequences. Would be totally pointless if they only deduct points from safe mid table sides who it makes no difference to as that’s no disincentive for clubs.

The main reason it was applied this season is timescales. They charged us in November 2019, which I assume is the earliest they had the evidence to do so following the submission of the accounts to July 2018. Then we went through a complicated legal process plus the pandemic which slowed everything down. I’m sure if we hadn’t contested it then the verdict would have been delivered sooner, while there was still a decent chunk of the season left, and the deduction would then have been applied last season like Birmingham’s was the year before.

Given we dragged it out, the verdict wasn’t delivered until July, after the season had finished. Therefore it would be unfair to apply it at that point, either because 1. We’re more than 12 points clear so it’s meaningless as a punishment or 2. We’re less than 12 points clear so it would automatically relegate us.

Its the timescales that determine when it’s applied rather than the outcome. If it was the outcome that drove the decision on when to apply it then Charlton would have had a very good case for taking legal action because of it, which they didn’t do.

So I think it’s largely a myth that it would have been applied last season had we been more than 12 points clear.

Agreed...although it does look like the punishment will take affect this season anyway as I reckon we will be relegated by less that 6 points

9 hours ago, Smackavolley said:

'This has for what ever reason caused players to not perform'

I think there's an argument to suggest they have performed to best of their ability. Which at this level, isn't anywhere near good enough. Some have never been good enough and some are not the players they were. I don't like like to call out players but too many of ours are simply GASH. Two or 3 will go and do OK somewhere and the rest will drift away.

Every team has had a Cardiff performance they can look on and say what if but I'm afraid this bunch are where they should be. On ability, effort and I'm sorry to say it, integrity.

Don't disagree, with any of that. Just think it wasn't so much of a gradual decline in performance we fell off a cliff.

OK not the best players but they just stopped doing the basics like, passing and moving. Just going through the motions.

Don't know who to keep as most seem tainted now.

• Like 1

If it was possible to take it last season without suffering relegation, absolutely. If it had cost us the spot, in retrospect, now I would've taken it when I see how that point ta deduction apparently has been a psychological factor looming over the boys all season, starting decently but remaining cemented at the bottom, for something they as players didn't do wrong... plus wage issues, managerial changes, uncertainty about club  covid, etc.

BUT the fact they have all collectively collapsed time and again, such a defeatist group of players and we should really clear out and get a clean slate. And as such, it might have been better if we started this season on 0pts in League 1. We could have been looking at promotion back to Championship now instead of a morally destroyed club about to go down and players leaving over summer.

Don’t think it would have made a difference in the long run. We need to go down and restart again and the fact that we will most likely go down by more than 6 points shows we deserve it. If we somehow fluked survival this season then we would be in a relegation battle again next season.  

On 16/04/2021 at 14:19, LondonOwl313 said:

Yes I’ve seen that.. and agree it would be unfair to impose it if it meant automatic relegation.

However, that’s not the same thing as saying it would be applied had we been more than 12 points clear, which is how most seem to have interpreted it. If we’d have finished say 15 points clear, the EFL would have requested that it be applied the following season given it’s not much of a punishment to deduct after the event, when it doesn’t affect any outcomes.

The two things aren’t mutually exclusive.

Just now, nbupperthongowl said:

-6 will make absolutely no difference to us this season with this shower of bottlers

Within a few minutes of the sending off you could see that some players thought it was a done deal. We wanted Rhodes, Green, Hunt and Dele Bashiru on for Windass, Paterson, Harries and Pelupessy. They all looked tired and we were losing too many midfield situations. That's it then. Ah well. We had never been in the third flight when I was a lad and now we will be going there for fourth time.