Salary Cap Scrapped

Just now, CircleSeven said:

You are right but sod em! We are one of the bigger clubs who are poor enough to end up in L1 so we need all the help we can get! If it turns out a salary cap would have been better for us I will shamelessly campaign for its reinstatement! I’m that shallow! 

I admire your honesty and indeed your optimism in that you think DC by spending more than the rest of the division will actually get us back to the Championship. I'm not so sure about that.

2 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

The salary cap of £2.5 million was completely unfair anyway.

Sure its fine for clubs like Rochdale and Gillingham that  will struggle to have a wage budget of £2.5 million anyway, but there has to be some advantage to clubs like Sunderland and Hull who get bigger crowds and could possibly easily afford a larger wage budget.

Hull and bigger crowds in the same sentencelol

2 hours ago, CalmJimmers said:

Salary caps look and sound really good to the public, but they water down talent and quality in the leagues. 

Should take a leaf out of American sport's books and have an overall cap spend that doesn't include infrastructure spending imo. 

Total accounting transparency needs to come before that then, because all accounts are open to interpretation right now, with no-disclosure of transfer fees and wages, lots of imaginary money can change hands without anybody getting a whiff of what is really going on.

Plus, without a limit on wages, demoted clubs can still come down with parachute payments and pay silly wages that few of the other clubs can afford. That is the main problem in my mind. If parachute payments were spread out more throughout the division, maybe on a sliding scale, depending where  a club finishes in the league, then clubs in the championship could invest more on players depending on how successful they are in the championship each season, not based on how unsuccessful they were in the prem the season before.

There surely has to be a value that can be put on a salary cap that still allows players to receive ridiculous wages without breaking the club's accounts and if there is not such a value, clubs will continue to go bust and run up unacceptable amounts of debt that leave clubs in a state of limbo like ours. Clubs cannot and should not be allowed to pay more money in wages than it has coming in. The only answer to that is dropping wages, or increasing revenue and that is all very well until you get a nasty situation like this. The players get more than enough money to survive, so why should the government or anybody else be expected to fork out extra money for players wages which are way more than they deserve? The drain in skill levels happened a long long time ago, when players realised that they could have a wonderful lifestyle without necessarily being that brilliant! Beats working for a living!

Seriously this is good news. Not because we would necessarily spend loads but with so many players out of contract and seemingly waiting to see, we would be massively restricted post relegation. 

I think salary caps, if implemented as part of wider rule changes whereby a player wouldn’t just get a bigger signing fee or a bigger transfer fee/bonus arrangement, could be a good thing. But it would have to be in relation to income and also apply to all leagues. The gap between L1 and champ is even bigger with that cap only applying to one league