Championship Form Table - Tony Pulis time at SWFC so far

14 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Congrats on basically just ganging up on someone expressing concern when Wednesday are bottom of the league

Enjoy your football x

Not trying to gang up on anyone; just trying to make sense of their point of view.

At the end of October, we had 'a cheap squad of cast offs from other teams' and were 'favourites for relegation'; now in early December it's not too hard a job.

In July, Monk should have been fired to be replaced by Loovens, O'Neill and Cahill; now 'he shouldn’t have been fired'.

You can see where the confusion has arisen, surely?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Not trying to gang up on anyone; just trying to make sense of their point of view.

At the end of October, we had 'a cheap squad of cast offs from other teams' and were 'favourites for relegation'; now in early December it's not too hard a job.

In July, Monk should have been fired to be replaced by Loovens, O'Neill and Cahill; now 'he shouldn’t have been fired'.

You can see where the confusion has arisen, surely?

Not sure why this is the accepted narrative We have a decent, if a an unbalanced squad, and only a 6 point penalty. We are in a relegation scrap, mainly because we’ve been mismanaged. 

14 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Not sure why this is the accepted narrative We have a decent, if a an unbalanced squad, and only a 6 point penalty. We are in a relegation scrap, mainly because we’ve been mismanaged. 

I don't know anything about an 'accepted narrative'; it's just what one poster said.

For what it's worth, I think we have a complete Frankenstein's monster of a squad, as I've said many times before.

In defence, we have some decent centre-backs, but some suit a two whilst others suit a three. We have Palmer and Odubajo as right-backs, and no recognised left-back to speak of...so van Aken gets a game there because he's left-footed.

Bannan remains our most naturally talented midfielder, but he no longer has the teammates around him to help him excel as we had in Carvalhal's first couple of seasons, so he struggles to impose himself on the game quite often these days. Luongo is our best combative midfielder, but as soon as he's injured, we have to turn to Pelupessy, who offers only a fraction of his skillset. Brown is a talented player, but I'm not sure where he fits alongside the others.

Out wide (assuming we're playing with wide midfielders again now), we have Reach, who's been shifted all over the pitch in recent years and has suffered as a result, and Harris, who offers pace and commitment, but no real quality. If either of them are out, then we have to move a full-back forwards or give Kachunga a run out on the flank.

Up front, we appear to need a target-man, but only have Paterson who fits the mould, and even then it's a pretty loose fit - he has some attributes, but he's no Fletcher with his back to goal, is he? Beyond that, we have Windass, who I rate, but who seems a more natural number 10, and Rhodes, who looks like he belongs in another team entirely much of the time, but we have to ask him to run around and close down opposition defenders as there's nobody else to throw on up there.

In a nutshell: we have a Frankenstein's monster of a squad assembled by a disparate bunch of managers, made up of the dying embers of a once-strong team and topped up with cheap signings and loan players, none of whom seem to fit into a coherent whole.

How some of our fans ever thought we might be challenging for the top six this season, I have no idea!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I don't think anyone is saying we're not being mismanaged.

It's the knee jerk blaming of Pulis, which is hard to swallow from my point of view.

• Like 3