Wing Backs on weaker foot

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

There is no argument for playing them on their weaker foot. As Holmowl suggests, you might consider it with your wingers, but wing backs, it makes no sense whatsoever. In fact I’d go further. It only works with wide attackers, not wingers. Players who are primarily strikers who operate from a wide position, and who’s natural instinct is to cut in and go for goal. 

Chris Waddle being an exception to this.

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

Which of Iorfa, Lees, Börner and Van Aken is better than Hector?

Any one of the first three, on a good day - but no-one, not even Hector, has proven long-term reliability, except arguably Lees, but their looking good is often dependent on who is around them, so, as I know from when I played at the back, one day it was great, the next week not so, although personal performance never particularly varied, it was down to the many factors which are not controllable.  At least we've had 4 clean sheets on the trot (inc Leicester), so something must be going right at the mo  

1 hour ago, York_Owl said:

Chris Waddle being an exception to this.

....and Sterling, Mahrez, Salah, Bernardo Silva.

But they are wingers, and world-class. Not Championship level Wing-Backs.

If Harris, Palmer or Moses could cut inside and be lethal - great! But they can’t.

The best two WB performances we’ve seen this season were Penney’s 30 minutes at Walsall and Palmer at Rochdale. Early highly dangerous crosses.

Against better sides than Walsall and Rochdale it’s even more important that the WB is on his stronger foot, as defending becomes more crucial. 

Guest BelgiqueOwl
On 20/09/2020 at 09:28, wilyfox said:

He shouldn't have, not as a bench-warmer in final year of his contract. We should be selling him rather than shoehorn him into an unnatural position. 

Who in their right mind is going to pay money for a nesh arse?

38 minutes ago, hangonrose said:

Any one of the first three, on a good day - but no-one, not even Hector, has proven long-term reliability, except arguably Lees, but their looking good is often dependent on who is around them, so, as I know from when I played at the back, one day it was great, the next week not so, although personal performance never particularly varied, it was down to the many factors which are not controllable.  At least we've had 4 clean sheets on the trot (inc Leicester), so something must be going right at the mo  

So SWFC POTS and then every single minute for Fulham in their promotion season isn’t long term reliability?

Come off it man. You made a stupid claim, stop digging further 

There is a difference between wingers and wingbacks in this debate.

Lots of wingers in a 442 and especially 433 in the Championship play on their weaker foot. The whole idea is they cut in and either shoot with their stronger foot or more usually make space for the fullback to overlap.

If a winger is playing on his stronger side, hogging the touch line, there is nowhere for the fullback to go.

Playing with wingbacks is obviously different , no full backs to overlap and the wingback is the one to put the crosses in so ideally should be playing his stronger side.

• Like 2