Wing Backs on weaker foot

The WB system is really promising. The shape of the entire side works. Our defence is solid, we’ve 3 excellent CMs and a proper front two.

But, there’s a weakness. You can play wingers on their weaker foot, but not WBs. 

Two prime examples in the space of five minutes yesterday. First, Harris (whose work rate is ideal for a WB) gave away a very dangerous foul because he tackled with his right-foot rather than his left. 5 minutes later he shook off two strong defenders to get a brilliant opportunity only to put his left-foot cross into the Kop.

To maximise chances and minimise missed tackles and up-the-line clearances our WBs need to be on their stronger foot.

On the right we are spoilt - Harris, Palmer, Moses and Kachunga.

On the left we’ve two, in Penney and Reach. Monk has to VERY quickly decide if he fancies Reach because if he doesn’t we need a LWB capable of holding down that role all season. At best, Penney is a 50:50 hope of being a genuine Championship-class WB.

Reach must be tried out there. If after two or three games he’s out, got to buy or loan quality and reliability. 

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

The WB system is really promising. The shape of the entire side works. Our defence is solid, we’ve 3 excellent CMs and a proper front two.

But, there’s a weakness. You can play wingers on their weaker foot, but not WBs. 

Two prime examples in the space of five minutes yesterday. First, Harris (whose work rate is ideal for a WB) gave away a very dangerous foul because he tackled with his right-foot rather than his left. 5 minutes later he shook off two strong defenders to get a brilliant opportunity only to put his left-foot cross into the Kop.

To maximise chances and minimise missed tackles and up-the-line clearances our WBs need to be on their stronger foot.

On the left we’ve two, in Penney and Reach. Monk has to VERY quickly decide if he fancies Reach because if he doesn’t we need a LWB capable of holding down that role all season. At best, Penney is a 50:50 hope of being a genuine Championship-class WB.

Reach must be tried out there. If after two or three games he’s out, got to buy or loan quality and reliability. 

Edit, totally misread.

I agree

Edited by McRightSide
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I don't think Reach has a future with us

He shouldn't have, not as a bench-warmer in final year of his contract. We should be selling him rather than shoehorn him into an unnatural position. 

4 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Personally I’m still undecided about Harris. Good work ethic but final ball etc is poor. 

Final ball isn’t great , I agree but his pace and ability to skip

past full backs scares teams. I prefer him on left. Reach should be idea on right but just seems to have gone backwards in last 12 months

• Like 1

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI
13 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Personally I’m still undecided about Harris. Good work ethic but final ball etc is poor. 

I’m also undecided. So often yesterday he too easily had the ball taken off him. I think he thinks he’s Chris Waddle at times with all the stepovers.

51 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Dont understand the playing on the weaker foot, never have.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, nethertonowl said:

Final ball isn’t great , I agree but his pace and ability to skip

past full backs scares teams. I prefer him on left. Reach should be idea on right but just seems to have gone backwards in last 12 months

Why do you prefer Harris left and Reach right?

I can see some positives as out and out wingers, but not as wing-backs. Their defensive duties are at least as important as their attacking duties, but you would never choose for example Fox right and Hunt left. Or Sterland left and Worthington right.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

. If after two or three games he’s out, got to buy or loan quality and reliability. 

Ah, the ever-elusive loan quality and reliability. One suspects if players had that, they wouldn't be out for purchase or loan. We have Championship standard players in the Championship and making the most of them. We'd all love a bonus though...

1 minute ago, hangonrose said:

Ah, the ever-elusive loan quality and reliability. One suspects if players had that, they wouldn't be out for purchase or loan. We have Championship standard players in the Championship and making the most of them. We'd all love a bonus though...

How do you feel about Izzy Brown and Michael Hector?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

If the idea of a wb is to cut in & shoot, then play them on the opposite side to their strongest.

If the idea of a wb is to beat a man & get a cross in, then play them on their natural side.

Over to you Monkfish. 
Pull your knickers up & make me a cuppa tea.

Half of their job is one of the above. The other half of their job is defending.

You are massively compromised in that aspect of the job if it’s on your weaker foot. Like I said earlier, would managers have played Fox, Worthington or Madden at RB?

Edited by Holmowl
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

depends if they have a decent weaker foot. Played wing back and full back on weaker side many times, but I could whip a ball in on my left and prefer going wide. Problem with Harris is he cuts in and  makes the midfield cramped, when we already have 3 people in. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wilyfox said:

He shouldn't have, not as a bench-warmer in final year of his contract. We should be selling him rather than shoehorn him into an unnatural position. 

Judging by the last few years he will run down his contract and if we sell him it will be for peanuts. 

16 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Half of their job is one of the above. The other half of their job is defending.

You are massively compromised in that aspect of the job if it’s on your weaker foot. Like I said earlier, would managers have played Fox, Worthington or Madden at RB?

No they wouldn’t. Horses for courses.

The defending part of the game has the same dilemma as the attacking though don’t you think?

If you’re tracking a player on your outside, you’d tackle with your strongest foot, say right on the right, but if he cuts in, you’re  on your weaker foot.

I think I’d always opt for right footed players on right & left left. 

Palmer seems to manage both full back positions, but that’s not wb, so hardly attacks. 

Monk has only played wingbacks on their weaker foot when he has been forced to.

He had Harris and Reach for the left last year and obviously didn’t fancy Reach so had to play Harris.

He has surprised me by picking Penney this season even though I agree with it.

We keep saying why isn’t he picking Reach left wing back, he has all the attributes. I have only seen him play it twice for us , against Wigan away under Jos when he was rubbish and at Swansea last season when he cost us the game.

It’s alright saying give him more games at it, normally I would agree, but I don’t think there would be much sympathy for Monk if we lost those games.

• Like 1