Finances..

18 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Clubs should not have agreed to pay daft wages for average player then they might be in a better position to weather the financial storm that might be coming their way.

Zero sympathy from me.

I think all professional footballers are on daft  wages so are you saying clubs should not sign players?

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, pioowl said:

I think all professional footballers are on daft  wages so are you saying clubs should not sign players?

Many professional athletes are,a mediocre Golfer for example(and i do mean mediocre) can still earn a decent wack...Thats paid for in the main though by the Sponsorship,& TV etc....Clubs have a different set up in their finances,(Agents,multipel players & support staff,ground,etc etc)  & in the challenge of trying to either get promotion or just survive,get caught in the Player/agent/fans merrygo round of 'silly money'..

Even with the Premier League payments,SKY & gate receipts,etc few as a consequence are able easily to balance the books.We have seen the multiple carnage since of EFL charges on FFP & the various wheeze's used to try to get around it(or downright defying it,& hoping to escape sanction,by escaping the EFL to the Premier League) 

This could not continue even before Covid 19,now with no crowds & SKY & other TV money no longer guaranteed,(In terms of risk assessment,if there is another 'lockdown' & NO football played,Clubs would owe money paid up front.....)Some Clubs with players on big wages and long contracts,may well struggle to make the books 'add up'...It cant continue as it is in my view..(Football)

Edited by parajack

19 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Interestingly the EPL are trying to apply pressure on the Government to get fans in the stadia ASAP to ease the problem ? A good Idea would be for EPL to temporarily slash player wages, EFL too as far as that goes; Until COVID 19 subsides somewhat. 

I think my self we(UKPLC) seem to be having to think on our feet,as no one seems to know how to effectively get a return to our 'normal' routine.The new 'normal' in my view aint very normal at all.Mass disobedience against 'lock down & Covid 19 suppression measures may well see at least further local lockdowns,if not a national one.(mass return of schoolkids & students to School & University,potential house partys & large gatherings...etc.)

This,as we know could impact 'footy' greatly.....Until there is a  safe  effective vaccine(years!!!) maybe...mass gatherings may be a thing of the past..

14 minutes ago, parajack said:

Many professional athletes are,a mediocre Golfer for example(and i do mean mediocre) can still earn a decent wack...

Not sure about that ......there no 3 year contracts for golfers if they dont make the cut and half the field dont they get paid bugger all but still have to pay there coach caddie,hotel,flights ......you dont win a place on the european tour if your a mediocre player.

• Like 1

Guest Therealrealist
20 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

This is the PL, dont hold your breath waiting for them to do some thing for the lower leagues.

Why should they?

19 hours ago, Morepork said:

Yep. As a basic rule I hate the idea of clubs going bust, however......if you've made no provision for a rainy day or your backers simply don't have the wealth behind them to prop you up then you were overcommitted. 

There’s provision for a rainy day and there’s provision for a global pandemic. Agree that most clubs need to prepare better for tough times but I’m not sure we can hold them responsible for not seeing this coming. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

Why should they?

Because they need to look at where interest for the game as a whole comes from....No lower leagues,where would the youth and up & coming Players develop?get experience? be 'spotted'? only so many places available in the Premier & Championship youth teams.Also the wider TV audience,and where the big money comes from,depends on an ongoing,& continuing interest in the consumption of football.Without a National 'mass; game,interest from younger generations could wane,...

No local team to support,not everyone want s to have to pick one of the 'big guns' & support them(though i know someone from Rotherham who 'supports' Man City FFS..no connection whatsoever that i know of,with the Club,other than they are successful..TBF he follows them home & away! to give him his due,)

Guest Therealrealist
9 minutes ago, parajack said:

Because they need to look at where interest for the game as a whole comes from....No lower leagues,where would the youth and up & coming Players develop?get experience? be 'spotted'? only so many places available in the Premier & Championship youth teams.Also the wider TV audience,and where the big money comes from,depends on an ongoing,& continuing interest in the consumption of football.Without a National 'mass; game,interest from younger generations could wane,...

No local team to support,not everyone want s to have to pick one of the 'big guns' & support them(though i know someone from Rotherham who 'supports' Man City FFS..no connection whatsoever that i know of,with the Club,other than they are successful..TBF he follows them home & away! to give him his due,)

So if we wer in the prem would you want us to be giving some of our money to barnsley..mini pigs etc to 'help them out"?

1 hour ago, Therealrealist said:

So if we wer in the prem would you want us to be giving some of our money to barnsley..mini pigs etc to 'help them out"?

YES,see previous reply,to quote Mr Spock, 'Logic dictates the needs of the many outweigh the need of the few'.(Wrath of Khan)..ANY local Premier league,or Championship Club,be it Barnsley,SWFC,Rotherham, or the blunts,in these troubled times should do what they can to help out other 'Yorkshire Clubs..why not?..if in the same League or higher(we had a glut of strikers at one bit as an example)

Loan out players without being greedy to help other Clubs out,maybe maintain there Championship place as an example.Would maintain also interesting local(and lucrative)  Derbys(IF crowds are ever allowed back!)

Clubs(many of them) who manage on their gate receipts simply will not survive without further help.This will damage the game overall in my view,and the game is currently awash with money..

2 hours ago, Therealrealist said:

Why should they?

Maybe because its the right thing to do? dont need to have another reason?...Dont have to do it...cant be made to do it,... Think on,a systym that pays Millions out in Player wages weekly,see managers getting similar,Agents getting huge fee's & so on....throughout the upper echelon..Premier league officials receiving alleged huge salaries & TV making a mint from subscriptions & advertising....

You dont think its right in these circumstances to offer to help struggling Clubs? if you dont,its fair enough,your opinion holds as much weight as mine,but i have answered your Q

2 hours ago, NorthLondonOwl said:

There’s provision for a rainy day and there’s provision for a global pandemic. Agree that most clubs need to prepare better for tough times but I’m not sure we can hold them responsible for not seeing this coming. 

Clubs were not even saving for a rainy day though.

Even though it was a flawed system the principle of the FFP / P&S rules were to make clubs more prudent and some clubs flouted those with  gay abandon. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

But some even by football standards are on daft wages. Think we can all think of Wednesday giving out ill judged contracts and a lot of other clubs will have similar stories.

I know,and no sympathy given,but no one could have foreseen a situation where matches couldn't be played(& therefor TV money having to be repaid,if demanded) & no matchday income available...its a 'Nuclear' meltdown  If player contracts/wages cant be rescinded/amended I see little else but oblivion if help isnt given for the good of the game we all love. 

2 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Clubs were not even saving for a rainy day though.

Even though it was a flawed system the principle of the FFP / P&S rules were to make clubs more prudent and some clubs flouted those with  gay abandon. 

Yes,totally agree,other than the situation outlined in my recent post...sometimes people have to be rescued from themselves,undeservedly in some peoples opinions....whatever the rights or wrongs of the game,the 'fans/supporters' are blameless...& without them there is no game

1 minute ago, parajack said:

Maybe because its the right thing to do? dont need to have another reason?...Dont have to do it...cant be made to do it,... Think on,a systym that pays Millions out in Player wages weekly,see managers getting similar,Agents getting huge fee's & so on....throughout the upper echelon..Premier league officials receiving alleged huge salaries & TV making a mint from subscriptions & advertising....

You dont think its right in these circumstances to offer to help struggling Clubs? if you dont,its fair enough,your opinion holds as much weight as mine,but i have answered your Q

In an ideal world your spot on but in big business which football is these days it ain't going to happen ......the prem clubs taking over the ownership of the small fry and using them as reserve/feeder clubs could be a solution if this goes on for a few years but that wouldnt be popular with the fans .

Guest Therealrealist
20 minutes ago, parajack said:

YES,see previous reply,to quote Mr Spock, 'Logic dictates the needs of the many outweigh the need of the few'.(Wrath of Khan)..ANY local Premier league,or Championship Club,be it Barnsley,SWFC,Rotherham, or the blunts,in these troubled times should do what they can to help out other 'Yorkshire Clubs..why not?..if in the same League or higher(we had a glut of strikers at one bit as an example)

Loan out players without being greedy to help other Clubs out,maybe maintain there Championship place as an example.Would maintain also interesting local(and lucrative)  Derbys(IF crowds are ever allowed back!)

Clubs(many of them) who manage on their gate receipts simply will not survive without further help.This will damage the game overall in my view,and the game is currently awash with money..

Thanks for the reply..even tho its utter bumf..thanks👍

2 minutes ago, parajack said:

I know,and no sympathy given,but no one could have foreseen a situation where matches couldn't be played(& therefor TV money having to be repaid,if demanded) & no matchday income available...its a 'Nuclear' meltdown  If player contracts/wages cant be rescinded/amended I see little else but oblivion if help isnt given for the good of the game we all love. 

The biggest out going by a mile is players wages. Think if clubs are going to go to the wall the PFA should do something.
At least look into deferring wages but preferably a wage cut. I am sure the players will have legally tight contracts so this might not be possible.

But its a bad look from football if players dig their heels in when they are on so much and clubs going to the wall.

1 minute ago, Therealrealist said:

Thanks for the reply..even tho its utter bumf..thanks👍

You incapable of debate?or disagreeing without being a nob?..come on Einstein,treat us,rip apart my views with your razor wit....cant wait..should be easy its such bumf....

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, parajack said:

Think this might have happened at one time like Man City lending Manchester United use of Maine Road after WW2.

May even happen in other sports like Rugby or Cricket but modern football forget it.