Finances..

21 minutes ago, torryowl said:

so your nephew has a brilliant lifestyle even though he's mediocre ......it's ridiculous to think anyone who can make a good living at any sport is a mediocre player .

I didnt say he is mediorce,dont put words into my mouth, Golf is a sport so handsomely rewarded that pros can still make an excellent living without ever getting to the top.....& yes,he does have a brilliant lifestyle..or did...pre Covid  T-72: Yuki Inamori, 293/9, $24,438 https://www.golfdigest.com/story/british-open-2019-here-is-the-prize-money-payout-for-each-golfer-at-royal-portrush

Edited by parajack

36 minutes ago, torryowl said:

so your nephew has a brilliant lifestyle even though he's mediocre ......it's ridiculous to think anyone who can make a good living at any sport is a mediocre player .

Mediocre as you call it is still in maybe the top .1% of all golfers. Same with football, the league players are probably better than any of the millions in the country who play football. Just think of all the Saturday and Sunday players in the games in parks.

Mediocre is excellent, just not the absolute pinnacle.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, prowl said:

Mediocre as you call it is still in maybe the top .1% of all golfers. Same with football, the league players are probably better than any of the millions in the country who play football. Just think of all the Saturday and Sunday players in the games in parks.

Mediocre is excellent, just not the absolute pinnacle.

Yeah you could put it that way,Golf as i see it is prepared to pay for the 'dream' bit like the Grand National of a rank outsider rocking up out of a large field,and on the day being the best....(well several days) adds to the drama and creates an atmosphere..Sunday league player not able to do that..cant go from that to a Messi over a few days...but the Open could,though rarely does..

Just now, parajack said:

Golf is a sport so handsomely rewarded that pros can still make an excellent living without ever getting to the top....

yes they can but those that dont get to  the top arnt mediocre as you claimed ........you tell me a pro tour golfer  player who  is mediocre.....they cant be just to get on the tour they have to go thru  3 qualifying tournaments involving summat like 12 rounds against hundred of  other scratch or minus  players . ... 

34 minutes ago, torryowl said:

yes they can but those that dont get to  the top arnt mediocre as you claimed ........you tell me a pro tour golfer  player who  is mediocre.....they cant be just to get on the tour they have to go thru  3 qualifying tournaments involving summat like 12 rounds against hundred of  other scratch or minus  players . ... 

Its relative by comparison to the field......compare to a standard,as you have and i agree,compare the top 2 in a field of 73 to the bottom two,their score would be mediocre in my view,on the day...(by comparison to their peer group,fellow pro's who have made the cut)but on another day they might be king..thats how Golf differs  just a difference of view thats all,it is Owlstalk...  no right or wrong,just opinions,,by the way i can think  of a few alleged millionairre wednesday footballers i thought were 'mediocre' too

Edited by parajack