The Portugese Megson

“Time. Only time. One of the most difficult things in football is exactly that, to change mentalities. It’s to change state of mind. It’s to change the team’s soul. It’s one of the most difficult things in football. Sometimes you have incredible luck to have a majority of players adapted to these needs and some other times you have incredible players but the psychological profile is different or was built in a different direction. So only time can do it. You have a recent example of the new champions and you know what the process to build the team is.”

Jose Mourinho

https://www.spurs-web.com/spurs-news/jose-mourinho-talks-on-how-he-can-change-tottenhams-current-mentality/

When I heard Mourinho  speak these words last week on Talksport I imediately thought how true they were in the current context of SWFC. (Even before the last two deafeats) Especially in relation to the transfer policy of our club in recent seasons and the pain the EFL have already inflicted on that policy.

Whoever the Manager is next season, that Manager needs to address the mentality / personalities of the playing squad first before worrying about the technical qualities of the players we bring in.

Until we've changed the mentality of our first team, we are going to continue to have to face the same demons, again and again, and again.

UTO

FTEFL

• Like 1

Just now, Ozymandias Owl said:

Whoever the Manager is next season, that Manager needs to address the mentality / personalities of the playing squad first before worrying about the technical qualities of the players we bring in.

Until we've changed the mentality of our first team, we are going to continue to have to face the same demons, again and again,

how do you do it ?.......if you have a losing mentality then you have a losing mentality telling them they have to have a winning mentality may prove difficult  for them to take on board ........ 

3 minutes ago, torryowl said:

how do you do it ?.......if you have a losing mentality then you have a losing mentality telling them they have to have a winning mentality may prove difficult  for them to take on board ........ 

I think when JM talks of time, hes also talking of bringing in new players. New Leaders. Players with a winning mentality. We've had that type of player in the past. Most recently Ross Wallace springs to mind. I think Bannan has it. To many of our journeymen players dont. Thankfully some have already been released, but the fact three of our senior players would not even extend their contracts till the end of the season tells you all you need to know about the last three years.

14 minutes ago, torryowl said:

We need to win an award in order to boost morale, as success breeds more success. It worked with cake ball, didn't it?

best-energy-drink.jpg.da8099de79344ce6611f02520c2ffc6f.jpg

Edited by bobness
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Rogers said:

Our problems are and always have been, a lack of strategy for this football club. 

From the top 

Its clear they had a strategy, which was led by Paxman and Chansiri. The strategy was to burn a load of money on "experienced" Championship / Premier League players, in the first  three years. It failed, and the EFL have victimised the club since its failure. 

Their was no footbaling strategy to what they were building, and certainly their was no ethos or soul built in that team.

I beleive the stay of execution has done more harm to SWFC than any points deduction they can throw at us now.

21 minutes ago, Rogers said:

Our problems are and always have been, a lack of strategy for this football club. 

From the top 

We say this but then in next breath its sack him sack him sack him

There's clearly a new eara at Hillsborough something that is like above going to take time to build the correct mentality. Now I believe that is the strategy for this club now. Give it time.

Sacking left right and center will only take this strategy longer to unfold

6 minutes ago, bobness said:

We need to win an award in order to boost morale, as success breeds more success. It worked with cake ball, didn't it?

best-energy-drink.jpg.da8099de79344ce6611f02520c2ffc6f.jpg

Do they do Soul flavour?

:duntmatter:

1 minute ago, Lomas613 said:

There's clearly a new eara at Hillsborough something that is like above going to take time to build the correct mentality. Now I believe that is the strategy for this club now. Give it time.

It also wont make the blindest bit of difference who the next manager, or current manager for that matter, is if they dont tackle the mentality of the players in our first team next season.

If our players cant concentrate, we need to bring in players who can concentrate.

The club need to let the Manager build the team based on a footballing blue print, not based on what "big names" are on the club agents books.

Some fans on here are repeatedly bewildered why the answer inevitably  returns to Nuhiu, and its because he has the soul of the club in him. He's not the most techically gifted, but he never shirks the battle on the field and always gives his all.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

Speaking of Portuguese managers, I see Rio Ave got an injury time winner tonight.  I remember when we used to get those.   

Yes I remember those days. Sideways football for 70 minutes and then sling Nuhiu on up front for the long ball in the last 20 minutes.

Carlos had a style of play, but the players who came in bared no refection to what Carlos was trying to acheive.

For example, you could see he wanted to play on the counter attack, and yet he was unable to bring players in with pace, appart from the permo-grinning Mattias, who seemed to arrive on day one with Carlos.

This game summend up the mentality of SWFC under the Paxman transfer policy.

Once again, it was within our grasp, but the players wilted, just as they did at Wembley in Carlos season one.

46 minutes ago, Lomas613 said:

When I say the top, I mean a chairman. 

Swansea had a good spell of Success due to selecting managers who followed the same ethos / strategy set by the club. 

Burt McGee didn’t push the club or back wilko 

Dave Richards mismanaged the club

Dave Allen, didn’t care and we all know about him

Mandy, was here to do what he did. Stabilise and sell

DC,  no clue about football on and off the pitch 

We’ve had endless poor management of the team, mainly through poor manager appointments, decisions, and lack of overall backing and strategy. 

My turning points (from club management perspective) since the 80s that took the club in a different direction, missed chances to do great things, and / or was the catalyst to endless years of misery

1) Wilko leaving - lack of backing

2) Big Ron Leaving - couldn’t be helped

3) Sacking of Francis and appointment of Pleat - wrong time to sack and poor appointment 

4) Sacking of Big Ron - Ron wasn’t as good in this spell, but...

5) Sacking of Di Canio - I say sacking, cos more or less that’s what it was in order to get Richards into the FA

6) Sacking of CC - lost to Utd at home and that was it; every injury and issue known to man was blamed on CC. He wasn’t faultless, but compared to now... 

9 hours ago, Rogers said:

When I say the top, I mean a chairman. 

Swansea had a good spell of Success due to selecting managers who followed the same ethos / strategy set by the club. 

Burt McGee didn’t push the club or back wilko 

Dave Richards mismanaged the club

Dave Allen, didn’t care and we all know about him

Mandy, was here to do what he did. Stabilise and sell

DC,  no clue about football on and off the pitch 

We’ve had endless poor management of the team, mainly through poor manager appointments, decisions, and lack of overall backing and strategy. 

My turning points (from club management perspective) since the 80s that took the club in a different direction, missed chances to do great things, and / or was the catalyst to endless years of misery

1) Wilko leaving - lack of backing

2) Big Ron Leaving - couldn’t be helped

3) Sacking of Francis and appointment of Pleat - wrong time to sack and poor appointment 

4) Sacking of Big Ron - Ron wasn’t as good in this spell, but...

5) Sacking of Di Canio - I say sacking, cos more or less that’s what it was in order to get Richards into the FA

6) Sacking of CC - lost to Utd at home and that was it; every injury and issue known to man was blamed on CC. He wasn’t faultless, but compared to now... 

I agree with everyone of those turning points, just disagree slighly with how you read them.

Dave Richards mismanagement of 3, 4 and 5 destroyed the club, and were still suffering for it.

The Pleat / Big Ron mk2 era echoes the horiffic Paxman / Chansiri transfer policy of recent years. 

On CC, the loss to Wilder in September 2017 did not destroy him, the problems were merely exposed. i.e. £4.5 million flushed away on Van Aken. Players earning fortunes from our club who werent prepared to run through brickwalls for it. A lack of effort and desire to win. And CC played his part, as he thought it was just another game.

Monks right, we need Wednesday players to play with fire in their belly.

• Like 1

I don't think the issue at the club is the players.

I think the issue is the club, under the current owner, failure is accepted as part of the club.

Until the mentality of those in charge change, nothing will change with the first team unless we fill it with experience pros that are not affect by this as much, but that is kind of our problem and the reason we are in this mess financially.

12 hours ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

“Time. Only time. One of the most difficult things in football is exactly that, to change mentalities. It’s to change state of mind. It’s to change the team’s soul. It’s one of the most difficult things in football. Sometimes you have incredible luck to have a majority of players adapted to these needs and some other times you have incredible players but the psychological profile is different or was built in a different direction. So only time can do it. You have a recent example of the new champions and you know what the process to build the team is.”

Jose Mourinho

https://www.spurs-web.com/spurs-news/jose-mourinho-talks-on-how-he-can-change-tottenhams-current-mentality/

When I heard Mourinho  speak these words last week on Talksport I imediately thought how true they were in the current context of SWFC. (Even before the last two deafeats) Especially in relation to the transfer policy of our club in recent seasons and the pain the EFL have already inflicted on that policy.

Until we've changed the mentality of our first team, we are going to continue to have to face the same demons, again and again, and again.

UTO

FTEFL

Thats what Monk has been saying since Xmas.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

I agree with everyone of those turning points, just disagree slighly with how you read them.

Dave Richards mismanagement of 3, 4 and 5 destroyed the club, and were still suffering for it.

The Pleat / Big Ron mk2 era echoes the horiffic Paxman / Chansiri transfer policy of recent years. 

On CC, the loss to Wilder in September 2017 did not destroy him, the problems were merely exposed. i.e. £4.5 million flushed away on Van Aken. Players earning fortunes from our club who werent prepared to run through brickwalls for it. A lack of effort and desire to win. And CC played his part, as he thought it was just another game.

Monks right, we need Wednesday players to play with fire in their belly.

C.C looks a good option now. Not sure you can blame him for the signings, can't see how they have improved since he went.

54 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I don't think the issue at the club is the players.

I think the issue is the club, under the current owner, failure is accepted as part of the club.

Until the mentality of those in charge change, nothing will change with the first team unless we fill it with experience pros that are not affect by this as much, but that is kind of our problem and the reason we are in this mess financially.

Its the perfect storm at the moment.

I know Paxman / Chansiri have got us in this mess, but until the EFL decision is made, no one has any way of planning our way out of it. The others clubs in League One / The Championship already have their transfer targets in place.

Summer signings of leaders and players with a winning mentality are key, no matter what league we start in.