Could the potential points deduction next season be a killer if 6 teams are relegated.

7 minutes ago, Daz said:

I really believe this is all leading to the demise of the EFL as there are too many aggrieved and litigious clubs in almost any scenario you can think of. The bigger EFL clubs will be invited to form PL2 and a better financial boost than the EFL can offer and that will appease the likes of WBA and Leeds as the top 2 in the EFL right now. We would stand to benefit too as a founder member and it would throw into question a significantly weakened EFL’s desire for a legal battle, it’s financial ability to do so and whether its penalty will carry any weight in a completely different league structure.

The remaining clubs in the EFL (or what’s left of it) will probably link up with the National league and regionalise, with some form of north v south playoffs at the end of the season and the winners will only be promoted if they have 25,000 capacity stadiums required by PL2.

Just seems the most sensible option and the bigger EFL clubs will resign from the EFL if this carrot is dangled.

To a degree yes. But without the 25,000 stadium thing. Some clubs will never be able to afford one of them especially not now. And it kind of defeats the object if they know they can never achieve the ultimate goal. Investment will stop in all the lower league clubs altogether if chairman know at some point they will have to fund a 100m stadium built to meet requirements.

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

This would be bad news because it just delays the seemingly inevitable outcome. We could avoid bottom 3 whilst rebuilding but difficult to avoid bottom 6 if docked a lot of points.

That means we have to wait longer to flush all this out our system and crack on. Would rather we just got the verdict out the way and see what happens ASAP 

It is up to the PL if they don't want to relegate 3 teams. There would be no obligation for the EFL Championship to take more than 3 teams from the PL in subsequent seasons. I Think!!

We were one of the founder members of the Premier League back in 1992, blinded by the lure of a few million quid whilst oblivious to the clear signs that the major beneficiaries would be the select few clubs at the top. Within 8 years, we were swept away for the next 20 and counting with a mountain of debt. Didn't appear to be much good for us in the long run.

Whilst there may be some pragmatic sense in the redevelopment of the professional system, I am not comfortable with the callous disregard for clubs of 'lower' status as if we were some kind of lord of the manor talking about mere farmhands. Not long ago, clubs like Leeds, Manchester City, Forest and ourselves each had spells down there with Ipswich, Bolton and Sunderland currently struggling.

However, I have no doubt that such considerations will barely come into it. As usual it will be large corporations and cold hard cash that steamroll everyone else for their own selfish reasons. 

Edited by DJMortimer

Suppose they could have a real radical shake up of the league structure. North and South sections has been muted but it needs to be more than that.

If the PL were to propose PL2 and make them each 18 teams the EFL could have 3 divisions of 18. This would mean an adjustment 1 extra relegation from EFL3 as the other spot is vacated by Bury. Or EFL could have larger numbers if they wanted.

Top 16 in Championship moving to PL2 sounds OK for us lol

14 hours ago, catdog1121 said:

Adam Reach.jpeg

So there is talk about no relegations but three teams promoted from each league so the Prem would run with 23 teams next season.

The knock on effect will be that 6 teams will be relegated from each league to sort it out for the following season. 

This could be the perfect storm for Wednesday, if we get a points deduction with 6 teams being relegated it could make it even more of a challenge to stay up.

I really hope this does not happen, the best hope is the Prem rejecting the idea of 23 teams as the top teams already complain they play too many games.

There won't be a points deduction 

13 hours ago, westy365owl said:

How would it effect the lower leagues as league 1 already has an odd number of teams with bury not being in the division anymorewho then replaces them in league two as the national leagues have been cut short it would be a nightmare 

One option I can see of doing it at moment is the teams in automatic promotion places at moment play the teams in the relegation zones from above in a winner takes all game 

Who's to say that there will be 23 and 24 clubs, respectively, still operating come next season? If lower league clubs are still paying their players, unable to put them on furlough, this pandemic could be the final nail in the coffin, financially, for quite a few clubs as they will have lost a lot of their match day income.

It may be attractive to the prem to have 23 teams next season as it could appease sponsors and TV rights etc if although they miss out on some games this season they get more next season.

It would also be obviously beneficial to the EFL as they allow the teams at the top to be promoted avoiding at least some of the possible litigation.

All we know at this point is our hearing is in July so any points deduction will be for next season and so far the Prem and EFL are determined not to cancel this season, it all adds up to the perfect storm for us.  Maybe if this is the plan they will reduce the points deduction but given how the EFL have come after us I doubt they will do us any favours and although I doubt they will do anything on purpose to screw us, if it is a byproduct of a decision I get the feeling nobody in the EFL is going to stick up for us.  We will have to wait and see.  

I would like to think things with change in football and in life in general but companies will still exist, profit will still be king and we will very quickly fall back into our old ways.