Nice article on academy prospects by The Future of Sheffield Football

Article

Which Sheffield Wednesday academy players have a promising career in football?

Posted bykianrichards3rd Apr 2020

Posted inUncategorized

The Owls have some brilliant young prospects at their disposal, ranging from now first team midfielder Alex Hunt to academy finisher Preslav Borukov.

Former academy journalist George Smith helps emphasise these prodigy talents by discussing which players will go on to have successful careers and which may stick it out with Sheffield Wednesday.

qr7_fbos.jpg?w=294

George Smith

Talking about which players will succeed in their careers, George said: “For me, Alex Hunt has to be the pick of the bunch.

“I have watched Hunt develop over the years and I have been very encouraged by the qualities he already has.

“He was given a first team debut against Sunderland in the first round of the League Cup in August 2018, however it only lasted 45 minutes and I think the occasion was just a little but too much for him.

img_6961.jpg?w=1024 Photo by Isaac Parkin

“He was then given a chance to impress against Manchester City in the FA Cup last month and he looked he could be ready to stake a claim for the first team, he looked very good when he came off the bench that evening”

George also went into detail about the attributes of midfield gems Conor Grant and Liam Shaw and how he believes they deserve a shot at first team football, adding: “I think both players have the necessary qualities to get into the first team at some stage.

img_7127.jpg?w=1024

Photo by Isaac Parkin

They both appear very calm and collected on the ball and are willing to make runs forward.

Both of them have demonstrated the ability to chip in with goals too, the signs are promising but they both still have a long way to go”

Liam Shaw was named on the bench last season against Yorkshire rivals Leeds United in September 2018 but didn’t make a first appearance, whilst Conor Grant is yet to register in the 18 of a matchday squad.

img_8975.jpg?w=1024 Photo by Isaac Parkin

On the aspect of making first team debuts, George mentioned three players, previously mentioned Conor Grant and Liam Shaw, as well as target man forward Preslav Borukov.

He is a big fan of the Bulgarian forward, adding “Preslav Borukov is certainly a player I want to see get a first team opportunity, especially as Wednesday are set to go undergo a transformation in the attacking department, with only Jordan Rhodes out of contract from the current crop of strikers”

Borukov is a six-foot-two striker who is a great presence in the air and uses his strength to bully defenders, but also has phenomenal movement in and around the penalty area, contributing to many goals in his time at Sheffield Wednesday’s development squad.

img_7360.jpg?w=1024 Photo by Isaac Parkin

Irish midfielder Conor Grant appears to be a favourite among Owls supporters who have watched Wednesday’s under-23s, myself included.

George is also a huge fan of the Owls playmaker, when asked about him getting first team experience, he stated: “Conor Grant is one of the most obvious choices, he has a huge amount of potential but you do not want to blood these youngsters into the squad too soon as they can suffer from that”

Some of the previous Owls academy graduates have gone on to succeed, while others struggled in the first team and now found themselves in the lower leagues.

Left-back Matt Penney has spent the season out on loan to Jos Luhukay’s St Pauli out in Germany, scoring one and contributing three assists in 12 games in Bundesliga 2, Germany’s second tier of football.

On the other hand, Jordan Thorniley and Ashley Baker are now playing for Blackpool and Newport County respectively.

• Like 1

Sheffield Wednesday - Ones to watch

Sheffield Wednesday under-23s: Ones To Watch.

The Owls have some fantastic young prospects at their disposal, ranging from pacey wide-man Fraser Preston to creative midfielder Liam Shaw.

The most noticable one however is midfield gem Alex Hunt, he has made two first team appearances for Sheffield Wednesday, one in August 2018 against Sunderland in the League Cup, and the other last month against Premier League champions Manchester City in the FA Cup.

img_6961.jpg?w=1024  

Alex really impressed against one of the best football teams in the world and the current Champions of England, completing three out of four tackles and one successful dribble in 30 minutes against a side who dominate possession.

Another brilliant young player that the Owls have is Bulgarian forward Preslav Borukov, the six-foot-two striker has great strength to out muscle and bully defenders, but also has phenomenal movement in and around the penalty area.

He joined Wednesday from PFC Levski Sofia in 2016 and has been a prolific finisher for the Owls academy ever since.

img_7360.jpg?w=1024  

My personal favourite players are Conor Grant and Liam Shaw, two central midfielders who are very calm and collected on the ball and both have the ability to chip in with goals.

Conor is an 18 year old Irish midfielder who joined the Owls after impressing during a trial period in 2016/17, he has previously represented Malahide United and Shamrock Rovers out in the Republic of Ireland.

He can play in every position in and around the central midfield role, including protecting the back four in a more defensive role and a box to box midfielder who makes runs forward contributing with goals and assists.

He has ecstatic vision as represented with his assist against Sheffield United on March 4, sending a sublime through ball to Fraser Preston who slotted nicely under the Blades goalkeeper.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is img_7127.jpg  

Liam Shaw is a dynamic central midfield player who has been with the Academy since the age of eight.

A boyhood Wednesday fan, Liam is an athletic box to box midfielder with an eye for a goal and good technical ability.

He also contributed the other assist in the Steel City derby last month with a through ball for Fraser Preston to latch onto and score his second of the match.

img_8975.jpg?w=1024  

The most promising defender for me in the Owls academy is Englishman Josh Dawodu, the centre back, who can also play right back, joined the Owls in Summer 2017 after he spent his entire youth development with Arsenal.

The cultured defender boasts excellent game understanding and technical qualities, looking very comfortable on the ball and plays out from the back with ease.

The 19 year old is another personal favourite of mine and should start training with the first team when football resumes to really showcase his talents, possibly claiming a stake for the first team.

Another brilliant young player that the Owls have is Bulgarian forward Preslav Borukov, the six-foot-two striker has great strength to out muscle and bully defenders, but also has phenomenal movement in and around the penalty area.

He joined Wednesday from PFC Levski Sofia in 2016 and has been a prolific finisher for the Owls academy ever since.

2018 (Jul) - Now Sheffield Wednesday FC - U23 England  England   40 9
2016 (Jul) - 2018 (Jun) Sheffield Wednesday FC - U18 England  England   43 14

Prolific he ain't. Still young but he's been on the bench more often than not this season. The 23's have put more faith in Shaw and O'Brien than Borukov or the other striker they signed last season. He's got the physicality so maybe there's a lot more to come.

Hunt, Grant, Dawodu, Shaw and Waldock the one's to watch for me. special mention for O'Brien if he can overcome the injuries.

What's happened to Issac Rice? Looked really promising 18 months ago.

It is notoriously difficult to predict a youngsters future at this age If I recall, Mel Sterland was deemed the least likely to progress from his youth intake. What he had though, was bucket loads of determination, and a willingness to learn. 
Alex Hunt looks to have a fair bit of talent, as did Conor Grant earlier. It would be very difficult for either of them to break into our midfield though, as I couldn’t see either playing in a two

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It is notoriously difficult to predict a youngsters future at this age If I recall, Mel Sterland was deemed the least likely to progress from his youth intake. What he had though, was bucket loads of determination, and a willingness to learn. 
Alex Hunt looks to have a fair bit of talent, as did Conor Grant earlier. It would be very difficult for either of them to break into our midfield though, as I couldn’t see either playing in a two

Our first team midfielders can’t play in a 2 either so why not. :biggrin:

2 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Our first team midfielders can’t play in a 2 either so why not. :biggrin:

True, really don’t know why we play that way, especially as we don’t at development level It’s baffling, when it so obviously doesn’t suit the players we have

12 minutes ago, malek said:

Biggest problem most of these youngsters will face if given chance at first team level is that style of play will be million miles from high pressing, energetic style that U-23's are playing.

Hopefully not, when Monks gone

23 minutes ago, malek said:

Biggest problem most of these youngsters will face if given chance at first team level is that style of play will be million miles from high pressing, energetic style that U-23's are playing.

That's not system I have witnessed in about the 8 games I have witnessed this season 

How many games have you been to see this season

41 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

That's not system I have witnessed in about the 8 games I have witnessed this season 

How many games have you been to see this season

I've not been to any games, but watched our U-23's five times this season. Have 4 of those on my HD right now. And yes, we are pressing opposition high as well as trying to keep ball under pressure. 

2 minutes ago, malek said:

I've not been to any games, but watched our U-23's five times this season. Have 4 of those on my HD right now. And yes, we are pressing opposition high as well as trying to keep ball under pressure. 

We see games differently pal interesting 

Keep safe

Guest Grez Bez

I would love a young Sheffield lad to come through the ranks. There's something special about a local lad playing.