'Fancy Dan' footballers quote

6 minutes ago, james o connor said:

Di canio was a hugely talented fascist @rse . A joy to watch but he would have left. Us regardless to go somewhere more fancy regardless of the push the ref situation 

You do realise he was left to fend for himself at his meeting after pushing the ref, ignored by the club, and then sold to West Ham?

Owlstalk Shop

16 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

You do realise that your view has come solely because Danny Wilson said it?

I bet you a tenner you weren't saying it before he mentioned it.

What rubbish!

What gives you the right to criticise people for remembering things that you have obviously forgotten?

The players had ability and passion, more when it suited them than when it didn't, but in my opinion we would have been better off as a team if the level of skill had been spread out through the team and all the players played as a team At times it was like watching a kids game or a syreet game where the self appointed best two players try to do everything on their own! Even the mighty Chris Waddle admitted that he had to play the team game and sometimes pass the ball instead of trying to take the world on just for a few seconds of entertainment. There has to be a balance in a team, for it to havd long term success, with entertainment and results going hand in hand. This was not happening often enough with these two in the team, which you forgot when things went well, but was blatantly obvious after the bad games. Hence Wilson's comments. 

Edited by Ante's Bubbly

1 minute ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

What rubbish!

What gives you the right to criticise people for remembering thigs that you have obviously forgotten?

The players had ability and passion, more when it suited them than when it didn't, but in my opinion we would have been better off as a team if the level of skill had been spread out through the team and all the players played as a team At times it was like watching a kids game or a syreet game where the self appointed best two players try to do everything on their own! Even the mighty Chris Waddle admitted that he had to play the team game and sometimes pass the ball instead of trying to take the world on just for a few seconds of entertainment. There has to be a balance in a team, for it to havd long term success, with entertainment and results going hand in hand. This was not happening often enough with these two in the team, which you forgot when things went well, but was blatantly obvious after the bad games. Hence Wilson's comments. 

Read my post on man management which Wilson sadly had none

What rubbish!

What gives you the right to criticise people for remembering things that you have obviously forgotten?

Before Danny Wilson called them 'fancy dan footballers' none of our fans were saying it

After Danny Wilson said it, the phrase was repeated verbatim by some Wednesday fans

It's simple fact mate 

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

You do realise he was left to fend for himself at his meeting after pushing the ref, ignored by the club, and then sold to West Ham?

Yes, we were all there reading the papers, Italian papers as well as English ones. Do you remember how the team reacted to DC being sent off in that game? 

The thing that staggers me is the suggestion they only played the ball to each other (not quite true but does has some element of truth in it at times during games).

When Di Canio and Carbone left the club the 'team' passed the ball more freely to each other.

They got relegated from the Premier League doing that.

And then relegated again some time later.

Those piling onto Di Canio, suggesting we've had better players, that he was some kind of fancy dan, or that he only played the ball to Carbone and vice-versa should maybe explain to me how we improved as a football club by getting rid of these 'fancy dan' footballers that we had.

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Before Danny Wilson called them 'fancy dan footballers' none of our fans were saying it

After Danny Wilson said it, the phrase was repeated verbatim by some Wednesday fans

It's simple fact mate 

Oh sorry didnt realise you were wanting to be pedantic about just two words in your post, the majority of it is more of a romantic fantasy, with few facts to back it up. We all loved them when they played well and loved the entertainment that they brought, but it all went very sour in the end. I dont care whether Danny Wilson called them fancy dans or fiddly farts, but we were all having similar thoughts obviously, apart from those blinkered by their love. Quoting people that come up with a good phrase tends to happen quite a lot in football, I'm surprised that you are, or were, so affronted by it 

Apparently Bromance can do that!lol 

• Haha 1

Oh sorry didnt realise you were wanting to be pedantic about just two words in your post, the majority of it is more of a romantic fantasy, with few facts to back it up. We all loved them when they played well and loved the entertainment that they brought, but it all went very sour in the end. I dont care whether Danny Wilson called them fancy dans or fiddly farts, but we were all having similar thoughts obviously, apart from those blinkered by their love. Quoting people that come up with a good phrase tends to happen quite a lot in football, I'm surprised that you are, or were, so affronted by it 

Apparently Bromance can do that!lol 

I have to admit the Di Canio subject is my weak spot

lol

I loved him

Owlstalk Shop

9 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Yes.

They rallied round and pulled four wins and some draws out of their run of games.

They then got relegated

Yes maybe if we had not played so much, fancy dan football, before then, we could have hung on and stayed up, but like I say, with the benefit of hindsight of course, we would have been better off investing the money spent in four players rather two players that ended up trying to play on their own.

Did you really never question any of that?

I'm surprised nobody else remembers a RS interview with Richards a few weeks prior to the DiCanio incident when an apparently drunk Dave Richards slurred his way through a rant about people not realising the true cost of running a Premiership club and, without naming them inferred that the wages of the Italians were a huge drain on our resources. I believe Wilson was parroting his bosses view when he came out with the "Fancy Dan" quote.

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I have to admit the Di Canio subject is my weak spot

lol

I loved him

I loved him too. Carbone was also a very good player and they both entertained us and did some amazing things thst none of us that saw them will ever forget, but that was just one side of the coin. The other side to their play and their personalities was still there and is obviously much easier to forget.

3 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Yes maybe if we had not played so much, fancy dan football, before then, we could have hung on and stayed up, but like I say, with the benefit of hindsight of course, we would have been better off investing the money spent in four players rather two players that ended up trying to play on their own.

Did you really never question any of that?

You mean whilst we were watching those players play, and enjoying top half Premier League football?

Nope

But hey...

Glad we got rid of the fancy dans so we could pass the ball around every player on the pitch instead to make sure they had a touch

We got relegated doing it, with the players that replaced Di Canio and Carbone but hey

At least everyone got a touch

lol

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, Hougoumont said:

I'm surprised nobody else remembers a RS interview with Richards a few weeks prior to the DiCanio incident when an apparently drunk Dave Richards slurred his way through a rant about people not realising the true cost of running a Premiership club and, without naming them inferred that the wages of the Italians were a huge drain on our resources. I believe Wilson was parroting his bosses view when he came out with the "Fancy Dan" quote.

Yeah that rings a bell

I always had it in my head that Richards coined the phrase Fancy Dans

Many of our fans loved Dave Richards in the same way the love Gary Megson and Carlos Carvalhal.... the same kind of blind love.

I bet there's a recording of that Dave Richards interview - will try and find it

Owlstalk Shop

5 minutes ago, Hougoumont said:

Dave Richards was also the one that famously told us, in a matchday programme I think, but also in the local press, that the more successful clubs paid higher wages and then proceeded to pay older players that we signed up way more than they were worth with little sell on value. That killed us as a team with most of them in the sick bay and left the club with massive debts, massive wage bills and no parachute payments.

Sheffield Wednesday's chairman Dave Richards has launched a scathing attack on Benito Carbone and Paolo di Canio and placed the blame for the club's present malaise firmly at the feet of the players.

Carbone started as a substitute at St James' Park on Sunday when Danny Wilson's side were humiliated 8-0 by Newcastle and wants to leave the club after refusing to sign a new contract. His fellow Italian Di Canio, who moved to West Ham in January for £1.7m, never returned to Sheffield due to stress and depression after receiving an 11-match ban for pushing the referee Paul Alcock in September last year.

"The Carbone and Di Canio situations have killed us," said Richards, who stressed his support for Wednesday's manager Danny Wilson. "Players like them are killing us and killing the game. They come over and take the money and it's great when everything is going their way but I think Sheffield Wednesday have had a raw deal over the last couple of years. Carbone has refused to sign a contract and is not committed to the club.

"We had a bad time with him and Di Canio. Those two players could have earned us close to £10m in transfers. There has not been a single inquiry for Carbone and we had to sell Di Canio for a pittance when his market value was £5m. We'll be lucky if we end up getting more than £2m for the pair of them."

Richards, who granted Wilson what may well prove to be a rather brief stay of execution yesterday, admitted that his own job may be on the line. He said that he would ultimately take responsibility for the club's worst-ever start to a season.

"As chairman of this football club my position is really under threat, there is no question about it," said Richards.

"I've been captain of this ship for 10 years and it is the captain who takes responsibilty. If that has to change for the benefit of Sheffield Wednesday, then that's how it's going to be."

Richards, who is also the chairman of the Premier League, said there was no money available for Wilson to spend on strengthening the squad, despite his criticism of the team's performance against Newcastle.

"The players let us down and it's time we started facing up to it. I haven't told the players. The manager is the bloke who looks after the players. We have to all get stuck in and make it work."

Dave Richards there... blaming Di Canio and Carbone whilst at the same time also putting in place the next steps for him jumping ship to the cushiest of jobs at the Premier League

Owlstalk Shop

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

You mean whilst we were watching those players play, and enjoying top half Premier League football?

Nope

But hey...

Glad we got rid of the fancy dans so we could pass the ball around every player on the pitch instead to make sure they had a touch

We got relegated doing it, with the players that replaced Di Canio and Carbone but hey

At least everyone got a touch

lol

You are obviously still too upset that you didnt get a touch, but never mind. Next time we get some fancy dans in we'll send them round. 

lol

8 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Sheffield Wednesday's chairman Dave Richards has launched a scathing attack on Benito Carbone and Paolo di Canio and placed the blame for the club's present malaise firmly at the feet of the players.

Carbone started as a substitute at St James' Park on Sunday when Danny Wilson's side were humiliated 8-0 by Newcastle and wants to leave the club after refusing to sign a new contract. His fellow Italian Di Canio, who moved to West Ham in January for £1.7m, never returned to Sheffield due to stress and depression after receiving an 11-match ban for pushing the referee Paul Alcock in September last year.

"The Carbone and Di Canio situations have killed us," said Richards, who stressed his support for Wednesday's manager Danny Wilson. "Players like them are killing us and killing the game. They come over and take the money and it's great when everything is going their way but I think Sheffield Wednesday have had a raw deal over the last couple of years. Carbone has refused to sign a contract and is not committed to the club.

"We had a bad time with him and Di Canio. Those two players could have earned us close to £10m in transfers. There has not been a single inquiry for Carbone and we had to sell Di Canio for a pittance when his market value was £5m. We'll be lucky if we end up getting more than £2m for the pair of them."

Richards, who granted Wilson what may well prove to be a rather brief stay of execution yesterday, admitted that his own job may be on the line. He said that he would ultimately take responsibility for the club's worst-ever start to a season.

"As chairman of this football club my position is really under threat, there is no question about it," said Richards.

"I've been captain of this ship for 10 years and it is the captain who takes responsibilty. If that has to change for the benefit of Sheffield Wednesday, then that's how it's going to be."

Richards, who is also the chairman of the Premier League, said there was no money available for Wilson to spend on strengthening the squad, despite his criticism of the team's performance against Newcastle.

"The players let us down and it's time we started facing up to it. I haven't told the players. The manager is the bloke who looks after the players. We have to all get stuck in and make it work."

Dave Richards there... blaming Di Canio and Carbone whilst at the same time also putting in place the next steps for him jumping ship to the cushiest of jobs at the Premier League

Apologies all round or are we about witness a classic Owlstalk U-Turn?

They were brilliant at times, can't remember whether they ever played for Italy though.....?