'Fancy Dan' footballers quote

22 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Skillfull yes , talented yes , loyal to the club NO.

Loyalty and footballers, Loyalty ended around 1986. 

They might have been more loyal without the slurs and lack of support from management. 

They kept us up, we got rid, we went down, and here we are 20 years in the mire. 

Football is An entertainment business, people pay to watch the likes of Di Canio. No one has come close since and I can’t imagine anyone coming close for years to come 

• Like 1

PS just so this isn't a Paolo Di Canio thread alone, here is Carbone's contribution

I mean... just look at the state of this.... 

Who does he think he is scoring goals like this???

Ruddy fancy dan

Get him out so we can bring in Leon Knight and REALLY get the old girl rocking

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

In all fairness I think Man Utd are going through something similar with Pogba presently. Can’t get in their side because of his ego now and Solskjaer prefers more ‘team’ players. We could have maybe carried one of Carbone or Di Canio in the team but often carrying both defensively couldn’t have been fun for the rest of the team.

I'm at a loss on this one?

Can't get in the Man United side because of his ego??

Owlstalk Shop

I want to see the Di Canios, Carbones, and FF of this world, not the run of the mill predictable players, especially the British players who are trained to get rid of the ball as quick as possible and then not with a pin point pass but just a general punt up field hoping that a teammate gets hold of it.

Flair, excitement,  trying the unexpected is what I want to see.  The players we all remember with fondness are the take a chance players the ones who stand out.   

If a players weak point is tackling, then he's straight away considered to be rubbish. Reach been the obvious one at present but his other attributes overlooked cause he didn't send the defender into row Z.

Dicanio and carbone backed up their ability with 100% effort.  Even if they didn't turn it on every game they put the effort in. 

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-03-27 at 08.50.56.jpg

One of the things that really irked me is that when Di Canio and Carbone were at our club there was a quote from Danny Wilson labelling them as 'fancy dan' footballers,

Wilson himself saying it didn't bother me. He was a manager out of his depth and struggling and the quote just seemed like a manager on the verge of quitting or being sacked after a poor run of results.

What really hurt was that I then heard our fans start to adopt the phrase and throwing it at Di Canio (one of the most magical, gifted, amazing players to have ever worn the shirt), and Carbone who was also fantastic on his day.

Once again some of our fans had heard something said by someone at the club and immediately adopted it as their approach too. 

No questioning of it at all. It was said by the club so it must also be the gospel truth

For years I've come across Wednesday fans who still label Di Canio and Carbone as fancy dan's and it really irks me. It makes me want to shake them, and show them videos of these players in action.

They weren't fancy dan footballers. Not in the slightest. They had craft and flair on the ball that our English players at the time could only wish they had. Their skills made them stand out against the rest. Their ability was second to none.

If you were one of those people who walked around tutting at the name Di Canio and Carbone and calling them fancy dan's then please realise it made you look stupid.

They were never fancy dan footballers - they were BRILLIANT and how I wish we could have them in our squad right now.

That quote from Wilson was 20+ years ago, and yes I was one of those who decried them at the time and I have not changed my view.

What Wilson said then is still happening at Hilsboro, no endeavour, little or no work rate, sulking when losing, lack of heart or desire from SOME of the players.

Yes, both DiCanio and Carbone were gifted, talented players, but can you put your hand on your Heart and say that they played for the team?.

At the end of the 96/97 season we finished 7th in the Prem, with only Carbone in the team, the following season, with DiCanio in the team we struggled to finish 13th, that was the season Dicanio publicly slated his team mates in the press, how is that good for team spirit?..

Wednesday fans have a lot in common with Newcastle fans, clubs from working class areas that prefer to worship ONE player rather than a TEAM  and that player can do no wrong.

We, as a club, have learned nothing in the intervening years (Decades), we are still yearning for ,MARQUEE, players, still believing we are better than we are,.

Your last line shows that in bucket loads, individuals, no matter how talented, win nothing, where as TEAMS win games.

13 minutes ago, Rogers said:

Loyalty and footballers, Loyalty ended around 1986. 

They might have been more loyal without the slurs and lack of support from management. 

They kept us up, we got rid, we went down, and here we are 20 years in the mire. 

Football is An entertainment business, people pay to watch the likes of Di Canio. No one has come close since and I can’t imagine anyone coming close for years to come 

Where are the flair players at Leicester, SUFC ?.

7 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I want to see the Di Canios, Carbones, and FF of this world, not the run of the mill predictable players, especially the British players who are trained to get rid of the ball as quick as possible and then not with a pin point pass but just a general punt up field hoping that a teammate gets hold of it.

Flair, excitement,  trying the unexpected is what I want to see.  The players we all remember with fondness are the take a chance players the ones who stand out.   

If a players weak point is tackling, then he's straight away considered to be rubbish. Reach been the obvious one at present but his other attributes overlooked cause he didn't send the defender into row Z.

Dicanio and carbone backed up their ability with 100% effort.  Even if they didn't turn it on every game they put the effort in. 

FF lol

4 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

That quote from Wilson was 20+ years ago, and yes I was one of those who decried them at the time and I have not changed my view.

You do realise that your view has come solely because Danny Wilson said it?

I bet you a tenner you weren't saying it before he mentioned it.

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Wilson was about 10000ft out of his depth, no man management skills, a yes man to the board and had little concept of how to get the best out of the team

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-03-27 at 08.50.56.jpg

One of the things that really irked me is that when Di Canio and Carbone were at our club there was a quote from Danny Wilson labelling them as 'fancy dan' footballers,

Wilson himself saying it didn't bother me. He was a manager out of his depth and struggling and the quote just seemed like a manager on the verge of quitting or being sacked after a poor run of results.

What really hurt was that I then heard our fans start to adopt the phrase and throwing it at Di Canio (one of the most magical, gifted, amazing players to have ever worn the shirt), and Carbone who was also fantastic on his day.

Once again some of our fans had heard something said by someone at the club and immediately adopted it as their approach too. 

No questioning of it at all. It was said by the club so it must also be the gospel truth

For years I've come across Wednesday fans who still label Di Canio and Carbone as fancy dan's and it really irks me. It makes me want to shake them, and show them videos of these players in action.

They weren't fancy dan footballers. Not in the slightest. They had craft and flair on the ball that our English players at the time could only wish they had. Their skills made them stand out against the rest. Their ability was second to none.

If you were one of those people who walked around tutting at the name Di Canio and Carbone and calling them fancy dan's then please realise it made you look stupid.

They were never fancy dan footballers - they were BRILLIANT and how I wish we could have them in our squad right now.

Oh Owlstalk, if only these things were so black and white! Sorry, but I strongly disagree. You cannot rewrite history out of love for two players, above your team, however much better they were than the rest of the team (and clearly thought they were). Deary me, what a selective, rose tinted memory you have of such events! I remember the thrill of watching them play, but I also remember the disappointments too. Some of the pairs' antics and behaviour left a bad taste and showed very little loyalty to any part of the club.

Danny Wilson did a great job at Barnsley and I wished he had stayed there, for his own good, not for ours. He was a true dedicated Owls hero and was only ever going to be onto a loser with us at that time. Our club was in a steady decline and we took Danny Wilson on when we had a strange mixture of players. 

Nobody will ever question the skill of the two Italians, but they alienated themselves and seemed to treat the rest of the squad, the manager, the club and the fans with contempt at times and that was going on a long time before Danny Wilson came along. Two players do not make a team and you got the feeling sometimes that the team was breaking down, although, similar to some of our better games recently, like the l**ds result, there were highlights too, but we were definitely on a downward curve after the much better start to the nineties under Big Ron and Tricky Trev.

They could both play when they wanted to though. Both were gifted, both gave their all in some games and both had bad games too. When they were both at Wednesday they were insular off the pitch, spending a lot of time together and with their Italian mates at Nonna's, but they were also sometimes too insular and predictable on the pitch too, messing about looking only for each other and losing the ball sometimes rather than making a simple pass to one of their other team mates. Both players also messed the manager, club and fans around by not coming back from holidays when they should especially at Christmas and there were cases when both players were self diagnosing injuries, I think at least one of those was during a holiday break. If you interview a manager or a fan after a game where your two star players are taking the pee, along with the rest of their messing about, then irrespective of the skill they can produce when they feel like it, you are likely to get a slightly negative response when interviewed. 

23 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Danny Wilson at that time was the wrong manager, the season before Dave Richards had got his own back on big Ron and sack him. That one decision is very much why we lost our place in the Premier League.

Had Big Ron stayed as manager the whole team respected him, he would have handled the Di Canio incident differently and probably instead of West Ham have Di Canio's best years we would have had instead. 

It is funny how you could change one thing and the whole history of our club could have been different, if we had not lost our place at the top table that season and maybe not for a few years, we could have stayed up or when we had come down we would have got the parachute payments to do straight back up.

This. 

If we had kept Big Ron for two to three years we would have been fine.

He was the type of old school man manager we needed at the time.

1 minute ago, james o connor said:

Di canio was a hugely talented fascist @rse . A joy to watch but he would have left. Us regardless to go somewhere more fancy regardless of the push the ref situation 

Yeah

Cos no other player in the history of football has ever moved onto a better/bigger club

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I will post you my address for you to send the Tenner.

As I said, Dicanio was a truly gifted player, but ask your self this.

Why didn't Man utd, Arsenal and even Spurs, where Pleat was at the time, buy such a talent for £1.75m?.

Secondly, in the summer of 1997 the squad was needing a Left back, a Central Defender and a midfield holding player to move the squad on to challenging for a top 6 spot, we did not need Dicanio at that time.

Celtic got rid, signed Regi Blinker and Paul Lambert, who had just won the Bundeslige, European cup, and world cup, then went on to dominate Scottish football for a decade, this after a decade of being second to rangers.

5 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Oh Owlstalk, if only these things were so black and white! Sorry, but I strongly disagree. You cannot rewrite history out of love for two players, above your team, however much better they were than the rest of the team (and clearly thought they were). Deary me, what a selective, rose tinted memory you have of such events! I remember the thrill of watching them play, but I also remember the disappointments too. Some of the pairs' antics and behaviour left a bad taste and showed very little loyalty to any part of the club.

Danny Wilson did a great job at Barnsley and I wished he had stayed there, for his own good, not for ours. He was a true dedicated Owls hero and was only ever going to be onto a loser with us at that time. Our club was in a steady decline and we took Danny Wilson on when we had a strange mixture of players. 

Nobody will ever question the skill of the two Italians, but they alienated themselves and seemed to treat the rest of the squad, the manager, the club and the fans with contempt at times and that was going on a long time before Danny Wilson came along. Two players do not make a team and you got the feeling sometimes that the team was breaking down, although, similar to some of our better games recently, like the l**ds result, there were highlights too, but we were definitely on a downward curve after the much better start to the nineties under Big Ron and Tricky Trev.

They could both play when they wanted to though. Both were gifted, both gave their all in some games and both had bad games too. When they were both at Wednesday they were insular off the pitch, spending a lot of time together and with their Italian mates at Nonna's, but they were also sometimes too insular and predictable on the pitch too, messing about looking only for each other and losing the ball sometimes rather than making a simple pass to one of their other team mates. Both players also messed the manager, club and fans around by not coming back from holidays when they should especially at Christmas and there were cases when both players were self diagnosing injuries, I think at least one of those was during a holiday break. If you interview a manager or a fan after a game where your two star players are taking the pee, along with the rest of their messing about, then irrespective of the skill they can produce when they feel like it, you are likely to get a slightly negative response when interviewed. 

None of the above would have been any kind of issue had the management of the team been strong/experienced enough

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, james o connor said:

Di canio was a hugely talented fascist @rse . A joy to watch but he would have left. Us regardless to go somewhere more fancy regardless of the push the ref situation 

He moved after been thrown under the bus by the club and chairman - in short it would be referred to as Constructive Dismissal in today's employment market