'Fancy Dan' footballers quote

21 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

He did

Paid for his own lawyers to go to the meeting to get his punishment

Sheffield Wednesday's Dave Richards and Danny Wilson didn't bother going with him

He accepted his punishment, said it was fair, didn't appeal it, nor did Sheffield Wednesday

Wednesday then sold him

He's Deputy Joooodas. 

I dont think anyone would seriously deny Di Canio was a very, very talented player but was also a loose cannon.

I remember people saying at the time he was playing for us to enjoy it while we can because some incident will happen and he will be off.

He only really stuck around at West Ham of all the club he played for and think a lot of that was to so with them being a London club.

8 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

That quote from Wilson was 20+ years ago, and yes I was one of those who decried them at the time and I have not changed my view.

What Wilson said then is still happening at Hilsboro, no endeavour, little or no work rate, sulking when losing, lack of heart or desire from SOME of the players.

Yes, both DiCanio and Carbone were gifted, talented players, but can you put your hand on your Heart and say that they played for the team?.

At the end of the 96/97 season we finished 7th in the Prem, with only Carbone in the team, the following season, with DiCanio in the team we struggled to finish 13th, that was the season Dicanio publicly slated his team mates in the press, how is that good for team spirit?..

Wednesday fans have a lot in common with Newcastle fans, clubs from working class areas that prefer to worship ONE player rather than a TEAM  and that player can do no wrong.

We, as a club, have learned nothing in the intervening years (Decades), we are still yearning for ,MARQUEE, players, still believing we are better than we are,.

Your last line shows that in bucket loads, individuals, no matter how talented, win nothing, where as TEAMS win games.

I really don’t agree with the statement in bold. I think we appreciate a great player, like most supporters do. And obviously everyone has their favourite player, that’s normal.  But to think the player comes before the club, unsure. 

Like Ronaldo at Real, Messi at Barca, Shearer at Newcastle, Waddle st Wednesday, the club still comes first with the fans i’d say. 

Maybe Di Canio was worshipped or more of a favourite with some, because he carried the team and the other players were absolute garbage.  Unlike the team if the early 90s, where some fans liked Hirst, otherS Sheridan, then they was Palmer, Warhurst, Waddle came along, Nilsson, Brighty. 

My opinion. 

10 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

lol

Funniest post of the year

I wasn’t laughing when Carbone was subbed away at Bradford in a cup game. Instead of joining his bench he ran straight down the tunnel.

I can’t verify if there was any truth in the rumour about him refusing to play at that start of a season, as the story came from the club. 

Great player, committed on the pitch,  it’s too much to think he was committed to the club.

Don’t get me started on the other one.

4 hours ago, dorian gray said:

proper manager at west aaam, v. bit of a lad giving it a go at hillsborough.

So Harry Redknapp is a ‘proper manager’?  Don’t make me laugh!  The idea that all would have been well had Di Canio been managed by a ‘Big Ron’ style character is so wide of the mark.

The best teams Di Canio ever played for were Juventus and AC Milan.  He left Juventus after a bust-up with Trapattoni and in Milan he fell out with Capello.  He’s a gifted footballer but a very difficult character and I’m more than happy he tends to be associated with West Ham rather than Wednesday.

28 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

I wasn’t laughing when Carbone was subbed away at Bradford in a cup game. Instead of joining his bench he ran straight down the tunnel.

I can’t verify if there was any truth in the rumour about him refusing to play at that start of a season, as the story came from the club. 

Great player, committed on the pitch,  it’s too much to think he was committed to the club.

Don’t get me started on the other one.

Don't pick on Paolo

He was GOD to me

lol

Owlstalk Shop

11 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

He was sold mate 

After the club abandoned him during his time after the push

Dave Richards and others at the club totally abandoned him.

What loyalty could he have shown other than attending his own meeting (without any real representation from Wednesday), apologising, accepting his outcome was a fair one, and getting ready to crack on.

Di Canio even had to pay for his own Lawyers to help represent him after the club abandoned him

Dave Richards sold him to West Ham, at a massive loss, then quit the club soon after for a plush job at the F.A

Tell me what you would have preferred Di Canio to do during that time to demonstrate ‘loyalty’ to the club after being totally sold down the river by the man who cleared off to the FA to feather his own nest

What could Di Canio have done differently?

Nobody really has answered the above question....

Owlstalk Shop

15 hours ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Refused to come back from Italy from what I recall. Should have sat out his ban and then got on with what he did best (apart from looking after his own interests ) playing football. Wilson was out of his depth but Di Canio wanted the bright lights of London. Would have walked just as he did at Celtic. I see you don't mention Carbone or GLB as he was nicknamed by the fans. Would have opened a set of toilets for £££. So talented yes , skillfull yes, loyal No.

Di Canio gives a very different account of how that happened. Having had to arrange and finance his own representation at the disciplinary hearing it was suggested he should go back to Italy to escape the furore here. The club then claimed it had no idea where he was and couldn't get in touch with him, even though a Sky reporter found him... at home no less. I agree with earlier posters that the chairman disliked him and that a weak manager did not feel he could go against that, whatever his own feelings might have been. The collective relationship was clearly strained even before the Alcock incident (and obviously the player cannot be excused for that self-indulgent idiocy). Whether you like Di Canio or not, those running the club failed in their primary responsibilities of giving the club the best circumstances on and off the pitch, whether that meant restoring him to the team after his suspension or maximising his value for selling him on.

You accuse him of looking after himself and betraying the club and then choose to disbelieve his motivations and impressions for the paragon of loyalty that is Dave Richards who took advantage of the impending Charterhouse share investment for his own gain (David Conn described this as ethically questionable if not technically illegal and at least one other director publicly registered his disgust), quickly turned a £16m injection of funds into a £16m debt and all whilst drastically reducing the clubs standing as it plummeted towards relegation. And then, clearly thoroughly unconsumed by guilt and remorse, he bailed out and left us to it for his new £177,000 job at the FA !? :huh:

As for 'GLB'...

And then, the Football League’s TV deal with ITV Digital collapsed. This double financial whammy left Richmond with no choice but to place City in administration, with debts topping £35 million.

Which is how Carbone left Bradford City as a hero. The administrators had attempted – illegally – to sack all but five players, including Carbone. The Professional Footballers Association fought back and the administrators were forced to honour all player contracts. Yet the crucial CVA deal that would determine if City continued as a club or became extinct hinged on whether Carbone would waiver the money he was due over the final two years of his contract – some £3 million – as there was no way the Bantams could afford to keep him. Carbone wrote this huge sum of money off and left the club.

In January 2013 Carbone reflected on this decision by saying, “I agreed to walk away, but it was some sacrifice. I don’t know if other players would have done that. I hadn’t earned anything like the amounts on offer in the Premier League today, and I had a young family. But when I thought about it, there was only one choice I could make.

“I couldn’t be the person who put Bradford City out of business.”

https://widthofapost.com/2014/06/13/a-potted-history-of-bradford-city-5-benito-carbone/

Edited by DJMortimer

13 hours ago, Rogers said:

I really don’t agree with the statement in bold. I think we appreciate a great player, like most supporters do. And obviously everyone has their favourite player, that’s normal.  But to think the player comes before the club, unsure. 

Like Ronaldo at Real, Messi at Barca, Shearer at Newcastle, Waddle st Wednesday, the club still comes first with the fans i’d say. 

Maybe Di Canio was worshipped or more of a favourite with some, because he carried the team and the other players were absolute garbage.  Unlike the team if the early 90s, where some fans liked Hirst, otherS Sheridan, then they was Palmer, Warhurst, Waddle came along, Nilsson, Brighty. 

My opinion. 

Those "Garbage players" finished 7th in the prem, our highest league position in the last 24 years.

Maybe they finished 13th the following season was because the team spirit was destroyed by the arrival of Dicanio?

Just a thought

17 hours ago, dorian gray said:

did pleat buy dicanio?

Di canio joined us when Pleat was the manager true, but he stated when he left the Richards pushed through the deal to "Put bums on seats".

The average attendance fell by 400 the season DiCanio was here.

Also, if Pleat thought Dicanio was such a good player/person why did he not signe him when Pleat was the DoF at Spurs for what was a bargain price of £1.75m?.

15 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

Those "Garbage players" finished 7th in the prem, our highest league position in the last 24 years.

Maybe they finished 13th the following season was because the team spirit was destroyed by the arrival of Dicanio?

Just a thought

Or maybe we replaced good players with absolute doggy turd players and the team/squad got WORSE

Owlstalk Shop

Dicanio is always going to be a Marmite man, you either like him or not.

For me, he was one of the most gifted  individual football players I have seen in 60 years of watching the game, but the clue in why I did not 'like' him was his individuality, he was not a team player and I want to watch a TEAM play well not any individual.

In the early nineties we had a very good squad that played exciting football & for a while a lot of us thought we were one or two signings away from being a genuine title challenging side. 

However when that team needed refreshing the replacements were almost always a downgrade on what came before.

Most obvious ones that spring to mind are Atherton & Nolan in for Pearson & Worthington.

Ian Taylor/Mark Pembridge for Carlton.

Jesus wept.

Scott Oakes for a hat stand. Possibly.

Petrescu for Nilsson was probably the closest we got in terms of quality.

Anyway... when Carbone & Di Canio signed we then had two players who would have been good enough to play in the peak Big Ron/Tricky side.

We played some nice stuff & the YouTube clips back up their individual impact for us.

It was up to Richards to protect the clubs interests & he failed.

It was up to Wilson to build a team & he failed.

You cannot run a professional outfit like a kids club & ostracise a top performer because you don’t like their attitude.

When it all came crashing down we were left with Petter Rudi where we once had Chris Waddle.

There are no YouTube compilations of Rudi or Oakes or Pembridge.

There’s a reason for that.

We never recovered from losing the ‘fancy dans’

15 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

Dicanio is always going to be a Marmite man, you either like him or not.

For me, he was one of the most gifted  individual football players I have seen in 60 years of watching the game, but the clue in why I did not 'like' him was his individuality, he was not a team player and I want to watch a TEAM play well not any individual.

You're watching one this season

No individuals with ego's keeping the ball for themselves

The whole team passing to each other 

Enjoy

You got what you wanted

Owlstalk Shop