'Fancy Dan' footballers quote

If you hate Di Canio, do you also hate Carlos? Just a question. 

Anyone with an ego or personality is a cocky foreigner.  

We’d rather have some thick Yorkshire lad like Booth as fans favourite or a ex-player like Turner it Wilson as manager. 

And that’s why we are poo 

15 hours ago, Steve Down South said:

So Harry Redknapp is a ‘proper manager’?  Don’t make me laugh!  The idea that all would have been well had Di Canio been managed by a ‘Big Ron’ style character is so wide of the mark.

The best teams Di Canio ever played for were Juventus and AC Milan.  He left Juventus after a bust-up with Trapattoni and in Milan he fell out with Capello.  He’s a gifted footballer but a very difficult character and I’m more than happy he tends to be associated with West Ham rather than Wednesday.

harry was a far better 'a manager' than danny wilson was, the 'gulf' was vast.

dicanio, was, and is what he is, he'll likely never alter, but good strong/sensible management will handle him better than wednesday's 'car crash' approach did at the time.

undoubtedly (for me) at the time a number of the better players in the side had little or no respect for wilson, i thought it may well have had dicanio as the ringleader.

as for your comment on him being 'associated' with west ham than us, that's only because they have a far greater national standing and recognition than we have.

2 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

Those "Garbage players" finished 7th in the prem, our highest league position in the last 24 years.

Maybe they finished 13th the following season was because the team spirit was destroyed by the arrival of Dicanio?

Just a thought

Utterly speculative and based largely on your own prejudice against him. I understand that some people don't like his demeanour, and there are obviously characteristics and incidents that people can list to portray him as some kind of monster. But equally, there are alternative opinions out there about his professionalism, determination and generosity. 

But you seem to have left half of the story untold. You claim his being at the club destroyed something that was previously there. So surely when he left, the cloud was lifted and we returned to previous glories? Hardly. The departures of Di Canio and then Carbone were large strides down the road to the misery of the following two decades and the foundations of where we are now. Not only did the team lose by far it's most creative players, but the collective mismanagement of those at the top cost the club somewhere in the region of £6-8m in potential transfer fees at a time when our debt was mounting to unsustainable levels.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rogers said:

If you hate Di Canio, do you also hate Carlos? Just a question. 

Anyone with an ego or personality is a cocky foreigner.  

We’d rather have some thick Yorkshire lad like Booth as fans favourite or a ex-player like Turner it Wilson as manager. 

And that’s why we are poo 

dicanio was (and nobody needs to be told this) a 'fantastically skilled player, BUT not a 'team' player.

carlos was, and is a coach who with his career record should never have been interviewed by swfc for the head coach/manager's position.

booth was 'a trier', but very limited (i feel it's a disgrace to call him 'some thick yorkshire lad').

as for turner, he came from hartlepool with a fantastic record, but few skills in depth,and left me wondering at the time who 'the brains' at hartlepool actually were,whilst wednesday's fanbase had huge expectations, but the club had 'pocket money' available to achieve those expectations.

wilson was a success at jokewell, and was headhunted successfully by us, the problem was 'again' lack of money, and money unwisely spent on 'so called 'stylish' players that could have been spent on 'battlers' and a proven goalscorer.

writing this has just made me recall (i think it's 2008) a man u. fan at work said to me (a few weeks short of easter) "you lot need to start winning, as were getting to the 'nitty gritty' part of the season when sides will be battling for points, and you've no battlers in your side" was it that year we'd been hammered 7-0 at old trafford? so obviously something had been seen in out team by other clubs and their supporters.

2 hours ago, Big Rons Hairspray said:

However when that team needed refreshing the replacements were almost always a downgrade on what came before.

...Ian Taylor/Mark Pembridge for Carlton...

I actually think that Taylor was a reasonable replacement for Palmer in the few glimpses we got of him in that position, and he proved it after moving to Villa. But for some reason, Francis had him most of the time out on the wing where he was hopelessly unsuited and you could see the confidence draining from him.

Francis can take credit for building on what his predecessor had done for a while and getting us close to some historic achievements, but when the tide turned, it became a torrent. One disappointing replacement after another slowly dragged the team down to perennial relegation candidates until we succumbed to the inevitable. As you say, Dan Petrescu was the best of the bunch but even he wasn't a good fit for the position he was signed for and we struggled trying to accommodate him in defence instead of just accepting he was more of an attacking threat.

One missing from your list who really should have been in there - Simon Coleman. He tried, I suppose.

9 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

Di Canio gives a very different account of how that happened. Having had to arrange and finance his own representation at the disciplinary hearing it was suggested he should go back to Italy to escape the furore here. The club then claimed it had no idea where he was and couldn't get in touch with him, even though a Sky reporter found him... at home no less. I agree with earlier posters that the chairman disliked him and that a weak manager did not feel he could go against that, whatever his own feelings might have been. The collective relationship was clearly strained even before the Alcock incident (and obviously the player cannot be excused for that self-indulgent idiocy). Whether you like Di Canio or not, those running the club failed in their primary responsibilities of giving the club the best circumstances on and off the pitch, whether that meant restoring him to the team after his suspension or maximising his value for selling him on.

You accuse him of looking after himself and betraying the club and then choose to disbelieve his motivations and impressions for the paragon of loyalty that is Dave Richards who took advantage of the impending Charterhouse share investment for his own gain (David Conn described this as ethically questionable if not technically illegal and at least one other director publicly registered his disgust), quickly turned a £16m injection of funds into a £16m debt and all whilst drastically reducing the clubs standing as it plummeted towards relegation. And then, clearly thoroughly unconsumed by guilt and remorse, he bailed out and left us to it for his new £177,000 job at the FA !? :huh:

As for 'GLB'...

Already filled his pockets . More interested in what he did at Wednesday. Demands were way out of our league and forced a move. Bradford were desperate and agreed to meet them, their choice.

1 minute ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Already filled his pockets . More interested in what he did at Wednesday. Demands were way out of our league and forced a move. Bradford were desperate and agreed to meet them, their choice.

Rather assuming that Richards was telling the truth about that. Given his record both before and after (David Conn really doesn't like him) I'd say that was questionable at best.

Still, it's telling that the bloke could write off THREE MILLION that he was legally entitled to (footballer's salaries are 100% protected, even if a club goes into administration) and still be described by you as a mercenary.

Just now, DJMortimer said:

Rather assuming that Richards was telling the truth about that. Given his record both before and after (David Conn really doesn't like him) I'd say that was questionable at best.

Still, it's telling that the bloke could write off THREE MILLION that he was legally entitled to (footballer's salaries are 100% protected, even if a club goes into administration) and still be described by you as a mercenary.

1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

Wrote of his transfer value with us as did Di Canio. Players who should have generated millions for this club walked away for next to nothing. Im no great fan of Richards but the truth is both forced their ways out and cost this club money it could not afford to lose.

2 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Wrote of his transfer value with us as did Di Canio. Players who should have generated millions for this club walked away for next to nothing. Im no great fan of Richards but the truth is both forced their ways out and cost this club money it could not afford to lose.

The 'truth'? According to who? Di Canio certainly has a very different take on his departure. I'm struggling to understand why you would take the word of someone like Richards over anybody. 

9 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

It's amazing that this thread is choc full of evidence that proves this kind of thinking is total nonsense, yet people just wont' read it, absorb it or believe it

It's like some people have gone "NOPE - Not listening. I'm RIGHT. My opinion is total fact. I'm not listening to that"

Madness

Owlstalk Shop

5 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

The 'truth'? According to who? Di Canio certainly has a very different take on his departure. I'm struggling to understand why you would take the word of someone like Richards over anybody. 

Di Canio always the victim according too Di Canio. Why would I believe him ??. Why would you believe the word of him over anyone ?? Matter of opinion seems yours differs to mine. Not like Di Canio hasn't had a history of trouble throughout his career .

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's amazing that this thread is choc full of evidence that proves this kind of thinking is total nonsense, yet people just wont' read it, absorb it or believe it

It's like some people have gone "NOPE - Not listening. I'm RIGHT. My opinion is total fact. I'm not listening to that"

Madness

Evidence dont make me laugh. You keep worshipping your fake idol.WTF:

Just now, ZicoSterland2 said:

Di Canio always the victim according too Di Canio. Why would I believe him ??. Why would you believe the word of him over anyone ?? Matter of opinion seems yours differs to mine. Not like Di Canio hasn't had a history of trouble throughout his career .

The chairman claimed he had no idea where the player was and couldn't find him after the disciplinary hearing. A Sky reporter managed to find him easily enough... where he lived. 

A lie. Ipso facto.

5 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Evidence dont make me laugh. You keep worshipping your fake idol.

Even Graham Mackrell admitted he was unsure that the club had done enough to support Di Canio

He was there at the time involved in it all, watching Dave Richards and Danny Wilson from close quarters and seeing it all unfold with his own eyes

Owlstalk Shop

16 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

The chairman claimed he had no idea where the player was and couldn't find him after the disciplinary hearing. A Sky reporter managed to find him easily enough... where he lived. 

A lie. Ipso facto.

Di Canio I will definitely comeback to Sheffield Wednesday.  A lie. Ipso facto. End of day you seem to have a beef with Dave Richards and it is his fault in your opinion. My opinion differs to yours .

20 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Even Graham Mackrell admitted he was unsure that the club had done enough to support Di Canio

He was there at the time involved in it all, watching Dave Richards and Danny Wilson from close quarters and seeing it all unfold with his own eyes

Unsure ....... Di Canio signed for his soul mate honest Harry.(Who had stated when VanHoojidonk went on strike at Forest the same season, all top flight clubs should agree not to offer contracts or way outs to players in dispute with their club.) Strange then he should sign Di Canio at a knock down fee from Sheffield Wednesday. Maybe his dog advised him. The whole affair stank.

13 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Di Canio I will definitely comeback to Sheffield Wednesday.  A lie. Ipso facto. End of day you seem to have a beef with Dave Richards and it is his fault in your opinion. My opinion differs to yours .

Im using facts and evidence from the time. Witness testimony and articles written at the time.

You?

Owlstalk Shop

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

You're watching one this season

No individuals with ego's keeping the ball for themselves

The whole team passing to each other 

Enjoy

You got what you wanted

If you consider this group of individuals a TEAM then you must be easily pleased.

If you look at my posts this season you will notice that I have NEVER considered these players a TEAM.

The last time we had the green shoots of a TEAM was when Gray was here.

My memory of interviews at the time or are you disputing the fact that he said he would return to the club ????  If you are look a little further. Think this site allows freedom of opinion and mine is obviously a world away from yours. I would always put the club before any player and no matter how you try to paint it the Di Canio affair had a far bigger negative effect on this club than it did on a self indulgent disloyal italian footballer.

4 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

My memory of interviews at the time or are you disputing the fact that he said he would return to the club ????  If you are look a little further. Think this site allows freedom of opinion and mine is obviously a world away from yours. I would always put the club before any player and no matter how you try to paint it the Di Canio affair had a far bigger negative effect on this club than it did on a self indulgent disloyal italian footballer.

Your memory is failing you

Have a read (I have yesterday and the day before) and it might just trigger your memory a little more as to the facts (not opinions - facts)

Owlstalk Shop